Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ECZ2 music was awesome. The difference between the music for ECZ1 and ECZ2 did a great job of mirroring the difference between the levels themselves...at least, that's how I feel.

I actually remember old old conversations with Charyb about me telling him how unfitting it is. Tell us how is it fitting, Tyler? It's "missing out" an important part of the stage- all of the machinery you see, all of the oil and stuff. It's not exactly a peaceful snowy mountain like BMZ was suppose to be :P

It fits the mountain feeling, like SA Ice Cap.

You're right, it doesn't fit the Eggman-y part of the stage, but that's so obvious that anyone could tell that.

I always thought of SNZ as a harsh, hostile environment even without the machinery (maybe part of that comes from the atrocious texturing, dunno). The tune is way too peaceful and serene to fit such a level. I also don't like the sound of the acoustic guitar that is used, but that's a personal nitpick.

I like the music in this level pack, however I have a huge complaint with how short the music is, compared to how horrendously long the actual levels are. I feel as if the songs need to have more content to them, or just a proper "loop" to the songs.

Also the looping is kind of weird too. It plays once, then it pauses for too long, then starts over again. What's with that?

Sure, feel free to use any of my unmastered, unequalized, and terribly unloopy songs in your level pack.

Fawfulfan, I still can't believe you did that. As terrible as most of my songs were, their being haphazardly thrown into it makes them about 3x worse.
Aaaand that's why the music sounds like that, Eliwood.

This update for Tortured Planet is the best update for Tortured Planet...so far.

I like how some of the level added some extra gimicks that were not there before. A great example for this is in ECZ2 when I was in the room with the exit, I was going to thok over the pit of lava and complete the level but the second before I jumped, I notice the room slightly longer and gears and I knew I wasn't going to make the jump so I just jumped on a gear and had a blast. Also, I like how the gear moves up and down and (I don't know if this was in 8.4) how the gears moved me in a circle. Not the best way to describe it but oh well. Also the issue I was having in Snow Nimbus Zone Act 3 is fixed when I kept on spawning in the Egg Capsule and dying! Yay!

But the new music for Tortured Planet is okay. It's not as catchy as anyother .wad that has original music but it fits. I like the cutscene music the best because I feel like everytime I get to a new zone and this music plays, I feel like Sonic pulls out a pen and paper and starts to record his adventure like "Captins Log..." or something. I really wanted to hear the music for DDZ but I couldn't cause of how loud the thunder and lightning are. The music is not as bad as Charybdizs says it is (or he might of just be joking around) but I like it.
Keep up the good work Fawfulfan. You too Charybdizs.

P.S. Are you ever thinking on adding Capture the Flag maps to Tortured Planet?

EDIT: After almost 4 of posting this I have to take back on what I said about the music. I absolutely love the music for this .wad. I guess it kinda grew on me.

Last edited:
Well, Larztard, the music itself wasn't so bad. There are many songs I love a LOT, such as the GCZ songs, the DDZ songs, and the FSZ songs. The rest I'm not so proud of, but some are okay. However, what drives them down in this pack though, is that firstly, like you said, you can't hear many of them, because the master volumes in them aren't the same. Secondly, they don't loop at all, and as such, many have 20 second silences at the end.

I WOULD have fixed this, but Fawfulfan decided not to counsel me on it at all. And frankly, with just how bad this came out, both in level quality, and how shitty my music sounds in it, I am almost tempted to say I regret making music for this in the first place. But I can't truly mean that with all my heart, because I got a lot of valuable experience from it, and that, my friend, is priceless.

If you want to hear any of the songs under better circumstances, pay a visit to my https://soundcloud.com/wesley_g page. I have all except a few terrible ones which I took off. Namely, Spacewalk Zone, and Liftoff Gantry Zone 2. Plus, all my newer, and more recent songs. :)

I WOULD have fixed this, but Fawfulfan decided not to counsel me on it at all.

I apologize. Under other circumstances, I would have taken further pains to make sure the music was polished to perfection. At the very least, if I had been thinking straight, I would have notified you of the imminent release and given you time to fix the loops. I was just pretty desperate to get v9.0 out, as I had been sitting on it for a very long time and wanted to officially be done with it so I could move on to better projects, and so it didn't even occur to me.

But since you mentioned it, I'd be happy to release a fixed version of the music WAD. Charyb, if you clean up the music files, let me know and I'll compile them into something better.

And by the way, I am actually very fond of your work for Spacewalk (if anything, it's the level that's unworthy of the music, not the other way around).

Last edited:
I saw some poly objects in your map pack. Always I make a poly object, Knuckles can go in it and see bugging sky. And it´s very buggy as Sonic and Tails too. Can you expalin how to make poly objects?

Moving poly object wad didn´t work very well... I had to copy them from another map and then it worked for me too. But thanx for the help anyway!

Moving poly object wad didn´t work very well... I had to copy them from another map and then it worked for me too. But thanx for the help anyway!

More generally, whenever I see anything in a level that makes me go, "Wow, that's really cool! How did they do that?" I try to copypaste the structure into my own level and see if I can make it work. If it works, I then play around with its linedefs and dimensions and stuff to see if I can modify it. By the end, I usually end up with a rough idea of how to make it myself.

I cant even load the game with the music. I add the wad after extracting the files INCLUDING music, and it doesn't work. Why?

Do i need to splice the 2 music files somehow?

Well, if I am correct, Drowned downtown is supposedly a version of Dark City after Robotnik flooded it. You are correct still though, the textures are very well done.

Well, if I am correct, Drowned downtown is supposedly a version of Dark City after Robotnik flooded it. You are correct still though, the textures are very well done.

Those textures come from Duke Nukem. They couldn't go in vanilla SRB2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back