Marble Zone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimate said:
I think Sonic 3 & Knuckles had some of the worst levels compared to Sonic 1 and 2. The levels started becoming too large, you would never have time to explore the entire level in one play through. Often times you would get lost, even after playing through the game several times. Some levels would almost take 6 minutes to complete, while in Sonic 1 and 2 many could be completed in under 30 seconds.

I didn't like Soinc 2 for its incredibly short levels, Sonic 3 had a larger space for me to play in, and more room for interesting gimmiks.

I couldn't care less whether the Genesis series focused on platforming or not. I don't dislike Sonic 1 because of its obstacles, I dislike it because half of the time it's a one-way road. It's okay the first time through, but doing all of the same paths in the same way as last time just feels like tedious repetition.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
If you can explore the entire level in one playthrough, then that lowers the replayability. And this is quite ironic coming from you; it took me nine minutes to beat this level of fawfulfan's.

Yeah, I was assuming that's because it's like all 3 Acts packed into 1 (with his own level design). For some reason though, I actually like longer levels in SRB2 while in 2D sonic games I don't. I'm weird like that xD

Marble zone- 4/10
I really don't know what Ultimate is ranting on about. I liked the way you emulated the feel of the original level, however, the original level kinda sucked in my opinion. I liked the textures although they were a tad pixelated, they fit anyway. About the music, it was pretty annoying because it would loop back to the beginning of the song every time. I would just be listening to the music, to hear it suddenly go silent and start over again. Also, the loop near the beginning of the level isn't the best one I've seen created, it looked nice, but it didn't run through smoothly like I've seen others do. I would suggest making it a bit smaller, but that would take a lot more work. There's a lot of things I disliked in the level such as: one of the deathpits take forever to get to the bottom of, a couple of the elevators took way too long to get to the top (and when it did get to the top, all I was rewarded with was a couple of rings =/ ). I also didn't really like the new enemy, but that's not all bad. Some parts were difficult, but that's not exactly bad, though some of the dangers were unavoidable the first time playing through.

To wrap all of this up, I like all the gimmicks you used and incorporated here, but it couldv'e been used in a much, much better way.

EDIT:
I got them from The Spriters' Resource. You're welcome to use them, as long as you give me credit.
You didn't create these textures, why should you get credit? You didn't credit Sega when you released this...

I should get a little credit because I had to rework the textures to fit into SRB2's palette. Without the reworking, some of the textures become a washed-out gray color. As for not crediting Sega, I assumed that was a given. Guess that was stupid of me to think.

Well you made yourself sound like a bit of a hypocrite, because you wanted credit yourself, when you didn't credit the original creators. Given or not. =/

Whoa. Sorry. I hate it when I do that.
Anyway, Ice is right. Credit goes to SEGA for the original level and textures, and for the music.

Seriously!? At my school, we're allowed to use the computers for our own needs during break, lunch and tutorial. But do you mean to tell me that your school computers have Sonic Robo Blast 2 on them????

fawfulfan said:
Seriously!? At my school, we're allowed to use the computers for our own needs during break, lunch and tutorial. But do you mean to tell me that your school computers have Sonic Robo Blast 2 on them????

He probably put it on his flash drive. Of course they wouldn't have SRB2 on them!

Please make the cammode ssbss, it loks just too weird to have STH textures and 2d stuff in a 3d.

Marble Zone Review

Hits
1. It stays true to old school Sonic level design.
2. New types of foes & traps to deal with.
3. The Loop!

Misses
1. Very, very laggy.
2. Frustrating obstacles.
3. It bit off more then it could chew.

final Score.

6.0 / 10

Marble Zone by fawfulfan, 1/10

Almost unplayable garbage. The first part was utterly boring hallway running, oh switch *bop* An outside part. Another switch? Bop, pool of lava comes out of nowhere, taken by complete surprise, miss the barrels, die horribly inside lava. Second try, I instinctively find the barrels, oh, a spring platform, springed, found where to go, forwarded toward it but I missed it, hurt on lava, fall to ground, die again. Try again, make the platform, the barrels defy the laws of physics and go through the platform I was standing on, and another spring up, do it, miss it again, fall down, and game over. I got frustrated and on my continue I just cheated it and flew up there with Tails. =P

Get the starpost, continue, heh a zoom tube loop, nice touch there. But from there on that part was kinda shocking, I managed to skip those slow vertically moving FOFs with Super Sonic, and the very fast FOF was almost impossible to time it correctly and I almost died trying to. But I managed it and then I went through the hole into the room. Wait, what the hell? I just died, like you intentionally placed an instant kill sector there (did you?) So when I got back up to there, I thoked through there and entered the room.

An empty room with a whole load of barrels, this reminded me of the lava fall in the first part. But there was no lava. Nothing was happening. So I just ran around everywhere trying to find a linedef executor that would trigger it. I did. The lava came out of nowhere and it started filling up quicker than I could get to the barrels. I died AGAIN. So, back there now, I was prepared for it, and passed it, and continued. Heh, new enemy, another plus. I thought the Marble crusher was pretty well made, and it didn't lag for me at all because I was playing it in OpenGL. Anyways, after that I got out of that part and then a random enemy that I couldn't see shot me and I got another game over, and I got frustrated and turned the game off because I didn't feel like playing through that crap again.

Yeah, it's that bad. =P This is not how a level should be. The textures, loop, crusher and the enemy were the ONLY decent to good things I could find about the level. Even though I didn't finish the level, after what I gave it I think I don't need to go through and finish it and all I need to say now is go and rethink this stage, it has HUGE and pretty glaring flaws that need to be sorted out ASAP.

Marble zone - 8/10
This level was amazing, i like it because its so close to the original level design. The only reason i didn't give it a 10 was because of the glitches and such. also please make the sky background and textures less pixelated >.<

Also people stop rating this down because of its frame rate, it works perfectly fine on my computer with no lag, if you have bad frame rate buy a new computer.

Callum said:
Wait, what the hell? I just died, like you intentionally placed an instant kill sector there (did you?)

No, I did not. What happens is that there are some doors that close right behind you, but some of them have the irritating habit of starting to close as you're entering. It's a problem, I'll admit it, and if I update the level, I'll see what I can do about them.

Callum said:
An empty room with a whole load of barrels, this reminded me of the lava fall in the first part. But there was no lava. Nothing was happening. So I just ran around everywhere trying to find a linedef executor that would trigger it. I did. The lava came out of nowhere and it started filling up quicker than I could get to the barrels.

The lava flow triggers the instant you enter the room. It's just that a bunch of lava comes pouring out of the ceiling, and the ceiling is ultra high, so it takes a while.

wow, you have certainly put a lot of effort into this wad... can't give an exact raiting or anything...but I can play it. I'll give it a go.

Challenging, I like it. there are parts where when spikes are suppose to go up and down, it looks like its dissappearing when its all the way up and when it is about to go completely under the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back