• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Corruption Project: REVIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyanFox

SRB2 C.P. Revived
Hello once again, everyone at the SRB2 Message Board!

It's been a while.

Anyways... If any of you scroll through YouTube videos about old games and stuff like that, I'm sure you've run into at least one ROM corruption video.
If so, you know what I'm talking about here.

If not, here's a small explanation. Game Corruptions are (mostly) intentional randomizing/breaking of a game's code to get strange and wacky effects.

And I'll be doing this for SRB2.

Now, enough about the past, onto the corruptions... First things first.. the levels.

So far, the first two zones are completed, and a WAD is attached here with said first two zones. As the project is still WIP, things may change in the future. Here's one screenshot of each level to get you acquainted, if you wish to see them.

GFZ1-
v5QvOdT.png

GFZ2-
PwhWN4z.png

GFZ3-
It1Ikt1.png

THZ1-
GHSJ5sZ.png

THZ2-
gBkkecE.png

THZ3-
eN9ooXg.png

I'm perfectly willing to corrupt any levels made by other people if requested by them.

My corruption schedule will be:

- I will do 2-3 levels every week, sometimes more.
- A requested level will be prioritized over my normal schedule most of the time.

Have fun, and I hope you will enjoy the corruptions!

----------------------------------

Corruption Progress:

SRB2 Main Game-
Greenflower - 1 2 3
Techno Hill - 1 2 3

Attachments

• SRB2CP.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 358
Last edited:
I'm sorry but what is the point of this? Game Corruptions in general are very short lived in fun. Literally its just "haha look i broke this! xD"

Corrupting Srb2's maps is honestly a huge waste of time. It has no replay value (or even play value), its disgusting to look at, and overall just... not fun.

I really hope you made some sort of external editor to mess up GFZ1. If you're editing these things by hand then... lmao.

This Is First Time I Saw Lua Or Wad To Sonic Robo Blast That Changes Names So Whats The Point Of This? Showing Corrupted Name And Say Look i Broke The Game

Last edited:
I really hope you made some sort of external editor to mess up GFZ1. If you're editing these things by hand then... lmao.

I used a corrupter meant to corrupt ROMs (CorrupTool), and used it on a WAD containing only GFZ1. That's how I got the results shown in the vid.

This Is First Time I Saw Lua Or Wad To Sonic Robo Blast That Changes Names So Whats The Point Of This? Showing Corrupted Name And Say Look i Broke The Game

Did you.. look at the video? There's more to it than the name changing. And even then, it's still a WIP.

Either way, to answer both of you, the point is just to be silly fun! Watching what happens when something randomizes the bytes within a game/level is interesting sometimes. It leads to strangeness and sometimes something awesome, or maybe just insanity. Who knows with corruptions? Of course, it's not something for everyone. Some people like it and some people don't.

I feel like it's just not... right without corrupted sprites, textures, sounds, music, and such. But with the sounds being digital, you can't really automatically corrupt them without it just sounding unbearable. You might be able to get away with corrupting the music, though, if you use the midi soundtrack.

Other than that, it's... an interesting idea, to say the least. I think I like it.

I feel like it's just not... right without corrupted sprites, textures, sounds, music, and such. But with the sounds being digital, you can't really automatically corrupt them without it just sounding unbearable. You might be able to get away with corrupting the music, though, if you use the midi soundtrack.

Other than that, it's... an interesting idea, to say the least. I think I like it.

Ah, yeah. Basically, I would get to the whole game (for the most part) eventually. I was gonna start with levels, then move to sprites, textures, music (probably), etc.

Sounds good. By the way, you might want to consider messing with palettes (once the sprites and textures have been destroyed). Also, keep in mind that using the level header option "Palette", you can use a different palette for each map, making it look even more corrupted.
But of course, you won't really get a good idea of how palette stuff will look after you corrupt the sprites/textures if you mess with the palettes before corrupting sprites/textures, so save the palettes for last, if you're even going to do any palette stuff.

Ah, yeah. Basically, I would get to the whole game (for the most part) eventually. I was gonna start with levels, then move to sprites, textures, music (probably), etc.

I would corrupt everything BUT the IWAD and the sounds. Use the midis please that would be funny.

Sounds good. By the way, you might want to consider messing with palettes (once the sprites and textures have been destroyed). Also, keep in mind that using the level header option "Palette", you can use a different palette for each map, making it look even more corrupted.
But of course, you won't really get a good idea of how palette stuff will look after you corrupt the sprites/textures if you mess with the palettes before corrupting sprites/textures, so save the palettes for last, if you're even going to do any palette stuff.
I would corrupt everything BUT the IWAD and the sounds. Use the midis please that would be funny.

Mhm! I'll try out those ideas. I may sometimes try out tweaking the other aspects of SRB2, and update the main post to show those if I get something good. Thanks for the ideas.

I played through this.
I've never had this much fun in SRB2 since forever.
It usually takes me less than 30 secs to beat the first zone(... act), but this took me 5 minutes (with noclip) to reach the end. This is looking great. I hope there's a full version of this. It'll be great to just see the wonderful, messed up scenery from simple nature to space eggs.

I played through this.
I've never had this much fun in SRB2 since forever.
It usually takes me less than 30 secs to beat the first zone(... act), but this took me 5 minutes (with noclip) to reach the end. This is looking great. I hope there's a full version of this. It'll be great to just see the wonderful, messed up scenery from simple nature to space eggs.

You reached the end? Wow, you did better than I did! Pff- (Wait, I just noticed the "with noclip". Woops.)
I remade GFZ1 a bit after I originally posted this. And when I'm completely finished with THZ, which should be either tomorrow or the next day, I'm gonna update the main post with a wad of the first two zones.

Last edited:
New Update to the Main Post!

I'm proud to announce that the first two zones are complete and the main post has been updated with a new version of the WIP project.

Greenflower 1-3 and Techno Hill 1-3 are in the WAD, as well as a new title screen, so it's recommended to apply the WAD during the intro before the title screen appears. GFZ1 has been re-corrupted so it is different than the previous WIP.

I am also happy to announce that every level done so far can actually be completed by Sonic, and I'm assuming Tails and Knux as well. Not entirely sure, however. Even if this is the case, due to the randomness and chaos of corruptions, it's not rare that you may get stuck during a level, so be careful!

Thank you for following this project so far, and I hope you enjoy the new corruptions.

Apologies

I apologize for the lack of updates to this so far. I'm just finishing up school, so exams and tests, work and stuff. All those are slowing my progress down significantly. I assure you, next update will include the next two, or maybe even three, zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back