• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

[SRB2Kart] Using the Advanced Checkpoint System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitoko

Making Proper Checkpoints in SRB2Kart

Lack of Documentation

Alright, well I've had a lot of people scratching their heads over this problem for about a month. Zarro has yet to release to the world how to make checkpoint waypoints work. So, in an effort to help solve everyone's problems, I will share the how-to to everyone.

Getting Started

Well, to start off, you need have a map with checkpoints, that you want to grant with checkpoint waypoints. These waypoints are used to define how far players are from a checkpoint and effectively determine ranking with it.

These checkpoint waypoints use the "Boss Waypoint" object (That's mapthing 292) Each checkpoint requires a least one checkpoint waypoint to function, but you may place as many as you want for a particular checkpoint, as the game will simply average the locations. Each set of waypoints is defined by an angle, to differentiate one set from the other. This angle is determined by the checkpoint number you are at. The finish line must recieve angle zero waypoints. This is to determine ranking at the beginning of the race. The first checkpoint will receive angle 1 waypoints, the second checkpoint receiving angle 2 waypoints, and so on until you reach the final checkpoint. After that, you must apply one final set of checkpoint waypoints again to the finish line, an angle one higher than the final checkpoint. This is to determine the distance from the finish at the end of laps and races.

Example wad that is missing checkpoint waypoints: Link!
Example wad that includes checkpoint waypoints: Link!

The map missing checkpoint waypoints will replace Mario Circuit (MAP01)
The map including checkpoint waypoints will replace Pipe Speedway (MAP02)

I have also supplied you with a Doombuilder Config File (.dbs file) which contains comments on the wad that includes waypoints. To use it, Get this file and put it alongside the .wad file BEFORE loading it into Doombuilder.

Further Optimizing the Checkpoints

When making the checkpoints for your level, you can help make the new checkpoint waypoint system work for your level. The most important step is to make checkpoints for every major turn, so that players don't get improper rankings around a big curve, for example. I've done this in Banshee Boardwalk, if you need an example, go ahead and see it. I form the checkpoints in this way, so that waypoints can determine the rankings more accurately. This means putting checkpoints in between looping portions of your level, as looping back over previous track makes lower ranked players erroneously have higher ranks, and can upset the item balance. A horrendous example is GBA Ribbon Road. Additionally, you should make sure that checkpoints can't be skipped somehow. This will prevent players from getting "Checkpointed" mid-level, and ruining the fun. Finally, if you plan to make a feather-cut or shortcut of some sort, or see a possible shortcut a player could take, don't be afraid to locate extra checkpoints of the same number to allow them to keep up with the game. I've put multiple activators in each checkpoint in Banshee Boardwalk, so that players could feather-cut across without fear. Finally, don't be afraid to add a few extra checkpoints to allow the waypoints to have a much more acurate result. Waypoints are a MUCH different mode of determining ranking than the prior method.

Well, I believe I've covered it. If you have anything else to say, feel free to reply.

Oh, you're more than welcome. It's not a problem at all! It's best we all know.

I agree, the more you know, the better the creations are.

And knowing is half the battle (Yes, I just had to make that referance)!

But anyways, onto the main point.

Despite this not being the wiki, I think it's safe to say that if it wasn't in the wiki of SRB2, it's here now.

Kitoko, thanks for describing the ACS (Advanced Checkpoint System), it'll help when I ever decide to make a kart map (which I probably never will).

So if we already made a map, would we replace the old .dbs file with one we just downloaded? (I just want to be sure that this is the way to do it, because I don't want to screw up my map)

So if we already made a map, would we replace the old .dbs file with one we just downloaded? (I just want to be sure that this is the way to do it, because I don't want to screw up my map)

A .dbs file just contains map configurations that are saves and loaded along with a map you work on, so that you can hop right back into the map afterwards. So, no. You'll have your own .dbs file for your own map. A .dbs file contains, for instance, the resource files used, the configuration of the map, the map defaults, comments in sectors, ect. It's not called a Doom Builder Settings file for nothing. :)

I think I may need to remake my FZXRR so that it works with the new checkpoint system... which is going to be quite fun. *nervous chuckles*

Edit: You could add WL3 to the list as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back