• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

The Difference between a recolor and a real drawing of a sonic character

Status
Not open for further replies.

STUH

I'm Artistic deal with it!
S.T.U.C. or S.T.U.H.

Well I started to make frames now and I'm on the special ability frames...
Here is a screenshot of S.T.U.H.
stuh_by_spiderman1593-d4r9qcw.png

I don't want to reveal much but I wanted to make a cat version of him[don't ask me why...] with new powers and a different Special Ability.

All I can say is that I'm making a SOC that enables him to homing attack and if hes near a wall he can climb it like Knuckles[I'm currently on Melee State so I'm far somehow..]
Oh yeah and some things:
1.S.T.U.H may be different from this picture of him.

2.S.T.U.C will be created 3 weeks after S.T.U.H is done[I'm really lazy lol]

3.I'll see if I can make a video of my wad on Youtube

But who do you want to see more? S.T.U.C or S.T.U.H?

Last edited:
I really don't get it anymore. I got a warning for posting a 'recolor' does this look like a recolor?
stuh_by_spiderman1593-d4r9qcw.png
Well I can obviously guess that if you don't have really good eyes it looks like I put a bunch of colors on Sonic but the base for my character is Sonic.
Now, for you users who still don't believe this is not a recolor look:
supensa_collab_by_spiderman1593-d4r9n9g.png
DOES MY CHARACTER DRAWINGS LOOK LIKE RECOLORS? NO! THEY ARE DIFFERENT. I don't see why my other thread was closed for my WAD, S.T.U.H.
Tell me what you think...Oh yeah my other thread was S.T.U.C. Or S.T.U.H. so look at me and tell me why it looks like a recolor if you can.

Over the years in the SRB2 community, "recolor" has come to mean "generic fan character", which is exactly what this is. This looks exactly like every other fan character in existence, with the Sonic look, colored a different color, given a few extra spines to be more edgy, and that's it. All you're missing is the sword to complete the look.

Such characters are not allowed here. If you want to make a character and release it here, come up with an original design. Anything based on Sonic is going to be deemed a recolor and promptly forgotten, especially considering the complete lack of effort on that sprite.

The reasoning behind the designation "recolor" has less to do with the character concept and concept art(which wasn't shown in the previous topic), and more to do with how you produced the sample sprite; that is, you took SRB2's sonic and drew very rough details over it that you would be extremely hard-pressed to keep consistent between animation frames and angles, and is highly reminiscent of the sort of sprite modifications done to create recolors famously parodied by hypermysteriousshadonic123311.

Yes, I know that image is much worse than what you made. Exaggeration is the point of a parody, please do not make a new topic just to argue that.

"Recolor" has taken on the meaning of not just the literal "paint sonic green and call him manic" sprite, but of sprites merely based on others with poor or otherwise visibly tacked on modifications, like say, clothing. Looking at your sprite up close, it doesn't look like any parts of the sprite were even removed or reshaped, just drawn over. This is why your character was deemed a recolor, not because of the concept, but because of how the sprite appears to have been made.

Further compounding the issue is that only a single frame was produced, which is a red flag for a lot of us signaling that you may have underestimated the amount of work that has to go in to creating a full character, and would likely have given up on it anyways.

This is nothing personal, it is not some one-of-a-kind judgement made against you because we don't like you. This is simply something that I, the other mods, and generally anyone who has been around long enough to see the mass of character wads that were made and attempted during 1.09.x have seen over and over and over again with the same disappointing results. Nobody has the patience anymore to care about the latest character wad announcement with big plans and mediocre sprite production on the one sprite shown with the hope that it will be the exception to the dozens of other examples of this exact scenario and actually amount to something. More than likely, a few people would take time out of their day to insult you and your work in less than polite terms, which we would then have to deal with. Preempting that is half of the reason we lock topics for stuff like this!

Again, this is not specific to you or your wad, this is routine. Unfortunately, something specific to you has also become routine, and that's your penchant for making new topics to complain about one of your other topics being locked, instead of discussing it with a staff member through private message. Hopefully this lengthy explanation of why your topic was locked, and this public warning(You did want the response to be public, right? That's why you made this topic, right?) not to make new topics to respond to old ones being locked will put a damper on your desire to do so again in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back