Official Level Design Contest: July/August

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never played any of KoF's levels, so I don't have any choice who's better. But KoF's level looks good! How about me?

Anyone who playtested my Moon Temple level knows that anyone who enters the Single Player contest this time will have a very huge competitor this time. :P

Regardless though, it's really great to see the SP contest getting so many entries now, it used to be very unpopular in the past.

JJames19119 said:
Anyone who playtested my Moon Temple level knows that anyone who enters the Single Player contest this time will have a very huge competitor this time. :P

....Nooo!!!!!

Well, I'd like to take the time to point out that sector count really doesn't have much of a bearing on the level size, and honestly, neither does the BLOCKMAP.

Aerial Garden 2 is insanely detailed and breaks the 128K limit. However, the level has only 598 sectors. Nitric Citadel, however, a rather rushed map, has 602 sectors currently. I assure you, Aerial Garden 2 is MUCH bigger than Nitric Citadel. The reason is simple: Aerial Garden 2 is insanely optimized, and Nitric Citadel hasn't been optimized at all yet. Conservation of sectors and optimization make sector count pretty irrelevant at the end of the day.

For your question, JJames, I don't really mind if you use it all THAT much, but it is annoying to have to wait on many successive downloads. 15 seconds isn't an issue once. It's annoying when you're sifting through 20-30 entries and half of them use annoying hosts that make me wait to download the file.

There is nothing saying you can't, however, I will note that stages will be judged in both renderer modes in the default srb2win EXE. If your map crashes or doesn't work in one renderer mode, you will get marked off pretty severely by several people who prefer the other renderer mode. Personally, I vote zero on maps that don't run properly or are otherwise unplayable. Since it works in one renderer, I'd mark off pretty severely for being forced to use one renderer mode.

Personally, I don't see how you could make a map that outright REQUIRES one renderer. That makes no sense. What are you doing? Making gigantic rooms so big that they break the software renderer?

Large rooms mess up a bit under OpenGL too. Across large distances you get Z-fighting (I smite thee, OpenGL API!).

Im not the best at making levels yet. i think i will wait until the next contest before I submit.

check out my leaf forest WAD to see how bad I am. I am still a newbie to level making

srb20018jh7.png

srb20017iw4.png

Preview Images of my new level meadow garden I'm submittting to the contest.

Edit: Sent.

Nope, I actually saw a beta of this level, and it actually only uses custom music, the textures are from Srb2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back