SRB2MD: Alpha 2.1(.420) is out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ThinkFrame? Who even uses ThinkFrame anymore? Use MobjThinker instead, which is what's recommended by Monster Iestyn, the guy who's really sad he accidentally taught everyone to use ThinkFrame instead of MobjThinker (unless I remember wrong). (Just changing ThinkFrame to MobjThinker probably won't work, though.)

Doesn't always have to be one or the other, actually. MobjThinker is best for most object behaviour, and ThinkFrame is good for miscellanous stuff that is not easily covered elsewhere.

(Just don't make it a massive implicitly-defined ThinkFrame function aaaaa)

Doesn't always have to be one or the other, actually. MobjThinker is best for most object behaviour, and ThinkFrame is good for miscellanous stuff that is not easily covered elsewhere.

(Just don't make it a massive implicitly-defined ThinkFrame function aaaaa)
Well, I always use MobjThinker as absolutely much as possible, or at least always stay away from ThinkFrame. I can't think of any case where ThinkFrame would be preferable above MobjThinker.

I played for about 22 minutes and I think this mod is great. Seeing that's it's still a WIP, I guess I can tell you what parts bothered me.

For starters, I read what you scrapped and you said you scrapped a tutorial which could of been easily substituted with the Help Screen by pressing F1. You have five pages to explain stuff, that's more than enough to explain what everything does like candies, how to attack, and other things. I don't know if it's just me or not but Sylveon was on the slippery side for me. Precise platforming felt really awkward. Also with level design I feel like you can greatly improve with this mod in particular. I got lost maybe once or twice and I think I got stuck somewhere around the first level because I couldn't find my way out or where to progress next. Maybe have something pointing the player into the right direction? I only had trouble with one boss with not noticing me and no matter how many times I restarted the level, the boss still wouldn't notice me.

Some nitpicks I have are notifications like "Getting hungry..." or a notification telling me that I cleared a monster house. I totally missed the monster house notification because normally I don't look at the very top screen where the console is located so maybe a sound indication for notifications would be good. Also you could loop the music so it doesn't have that awkward two second pause right before it loops again. Plus it would make the file size for the wad smaller. Not by a lot but every byte of memory counts!

Overall I think this mod is pretty cool so far for what it is and I am very interested on how and where this mod goes. Perhaps TopDown?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
The help screen seems a good idea, I totally forgot about it since all this time...
Now it's true that Sylveon has an OMGWTFBBQ-esque acceleration that I should probably lower. Concerning the level design, I can hardly make better than I did with Floral Road 1 & 2, my excuse would be that I didn't touch DoomBuilder since them (Mud Mines wouldn't count since the garbage it ended into~), the player shouldn't have too much trouble finding its way as the levels are linear enough, but if you had problem I guess I'll use those old arrow-signs, like in NewHorizons.

The Boss not noticing the player SHOULD've been fixed, but for some reasons it's still not working sometimes :/
As the boss spawns in its chase state, I will probably add a Look one, but it worked fine during its developpement, weird.

Concerning notifications, I should just put the Monster House one in the middle of the screen (It tells you that the exit's door has opened).
Even tough, I don't think I will put notifications like "Getting dizzy from hunger..." at the center of the screen, because it'd be rather annoying. I thought of adding the hunger sound from PMD, but I was unable to find it (like many other sounds btw.)

And finally, I don't know how to loop musics, sorry :/

Also it'd be a good thing for you guys to stop talking about my shitty Lua skills and the fact that there are "ThinkFrames" in there, seriously it's totally out the topic and no one cares as the script is working as it is supposed to!
EDIT: Btw, I dare you to open the lua lump, you will see what horrors are hiding in there...

Last edited:
Hey I just played the mod and, GOD. It's tough for me. I love tough games. This is an awesome mod.

But...
I encountered a deadly glitch while fighting Giratina (That's it's name, right?): The BIG BLUE BALLS attack STAY on the arena. I lost my last life while backpedaling from it's attacks. It stayed in a wall, and I ran into it. Also there's an exploit to the Tackle, if you tackle Mid-Air, sometimes it won't drain the Hunger meter.

Well other than that though, it's an awesome mod! The mechanics are so fun too. I almost starved to death twice in the second level. Genius level design.

I haven't had this much fun since Jasper 2.1. Kudos to you, my friend.

I'm really glad you liked it ^^
Yea, sadly that's how they work, but all I have to do is actually modify their properties and remove the MF_SLIDEME flag or something like that, also yes its name is Giratina, I like this Pokemon too, and the fact that it's a Ghost type gave me this invulnerability idea~

Anyway, something only some players will know what this is, or rather, what it WAS...

(The survivor flower isn't the point, if that matters X))

Last edited:
Double post :P
Anyway, LJ Sonic wanted to help me a LITTLE with the mod, and let's say that you guys won't have to complain about the fact that 30000 XP points are needed to level up again!

EasygoingShallowGrackle.gif

Right, LJ made it so the bar can support any maxhealth value (It wasn't already, thx lua skills!)
Alongside with this, the Alpha 2.0 is almost finished; it has the missing level (That will be extended in the future), various bugfixes
(The RedCrawla that wasn't facing you after you've hurt it, the player spawning with hundreds of HPs instead of the maxhealth value...) and the Multiplayer support that will be easy as hell to do. (Copypaste the map, add items, enemies, end.)

Btw, the fact that you gain HPs and levels more easyly make enemies become stronger quickly, remember Giratina's Shadow Force only dealing 7 little damages? Now it does 10!

For starters, I read what you scrapped and you said you scrapped a tutorial which could of been easily substituted with the Help Screen by pressing F1. You have five pages to explain stuff, that's more than enough to explain what everything does like candies, how to attack, and other things.

Hmhm, would those work?

Just to say, it might happend that I implement a stuff recovering system that gives your stats back when you rejoin a server so you don't have to start from scratch each time you get kicked because of lag or resynch.

"Fear my overpowered recolor!"

As the mod now fully supports multiplayer, I had to rework the sprites a bit so they can support other colors than pink. Even tough, some colors like Red are really ugly, no seriously. And while we're at it, LJ Sonic "fixed" the HUD that is now displayed "correctly", even in unsupported resolutions (For instance in this screenshot.)

Also I added an extra zone, related with the screenshot with the "gray" area, but what is this zone now? You'll have to wait the release to see it =P

Tackle script is now fixed... I think.

So, as I fell on something showing how broken is the Tackle script I decided to fix the damn Lua code m- ... In fact I helped myself with MotdSpork's slide script.

EachKlutzyBassethound.gif

Now the Tackle is more like QuickAttack. It cannot be canceled anymore (unless you jump) so you will have to be careful before performing it. Due to the fact that it allows to travel way less more distance, it has a totally broken hitbox that hits enemies that you don't even touch.

Also a little question for you guys:
Should I leave Tackle to the CUSTOM1 button, or should I move it to the Spin one?

Use the Spin button :3
If you do so you'll have one more button for special attacks, so DO IT :D

I'd like to suggest setting it up so that the weapon buttons can be used to select an "active" move that Spin/Custom 1/whatever would perform, along with possibly listing the moveset on-screen, maybe along the bottom. Would make it easy to allow for the four moves that Pokemon usually get without requiring a ton of buttons bound to different places on the keyboard.

I second Red's suggestion, since I normally use a joystick to play, PlayStation style, with left stick for movement, and directional buttons for custom1-3, so it's a little hard for me to both move and use custom stuff when I play.

Would this work? The player attacks with SPIN and can change move using CUSTOM1

PersonalJitteryEmperorshrimp.gif

All I'll have to do is to change the numbers by the move's name, and maybe list the other moves. For the momment there are only 2 moves so I don't think this is really needed.

Would this work? The player attacks with SPIN and can change move using CUSTOM1

-Gif-

All I'll have to do is to change the numbers by the move's name, and maybe list the other moves. For the momment there are only 2 moves so I don't think this is really needed.
Seems fine to me. That'd probably work.

AAAAAA!

CheerfulFickleBrocketdeer.gif

More seriously, Moonblast is now a projectile that tarvels at a medium speed and blows up everything in a pretty big range if it hits something. As a hint, I'd say aim the ground, like with TF2's Rocket Launcher!
...Even tough I need to find out if this hurts other players, and I should add a fancy sparkling trail by the way.

A2.0 is getting closer... We're almost done with it...

Well, you'll excuse non-existant "spriting" skills X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back