10 users on, but no one posts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bigboi

Is it me, or has this board been a bit less active lately?

Or maybe there's just nothing to say. Look at the news, not really all that much to talk about in the gaming community right now. We don't need 15 posts a second to be an active community. Personally, I think the fact that there are 10 people viewing and no one posting as a good sign, meaning people might actually be reading the posts or something ^_~

Better than "LOL I NEED CHEATZ AND THE EMBLEMZ!!!1"

[offtopic]eh. Well at least we get action parameters in 1.09.3[/offtopic]

I think that counts as news, since SSNTails got the idea from me today.

Prime 2.0 said:
[offtopic]eh. Well at least we get action parameters in 1.09.3[/offtopic]

I think that counts as news, since SSNTails got the idea from me today.
You mean +mlook, -forward and similar Quake-style bindings? That would rock for scripting.

I feel like explaining just what the Hell I was on about, anyway.

Quake has some interesting commands in its console, to be sure (impulse 9 and impulse 255 FTW), but most intriguingly, all the commands that would move the character and make him do things were actually in the console. All the keys you set up are just binds to console commands, in effect.

Thus, if you wanted to make the character run forward without having to hold the up (or in many cases, including my own, W) key, you could pull down the console, type in "+forward", and watch your character mindlessly charge forward with no concern for his own safety. This could be stopped by typing in "-forward", or, since you had a bind to some key on the keyboard, just hit the forward key, which would automatically stop him (keyboard binds are kinda funny - it's +command if held in, and automatically -command otherwise, but +command has to be invoked using the bind first - hence why the character doesn't stop until you start the bind up and cease it again).

Why does this mean anything to us? Well, we could make little in-game cutscenes with some scripting. It wouldn't be hard - teleport the character to the appropriate spot with a linedef executor, then execute the script, making the character move EXACTLY as planned. A few CECHO commands here and there, and you've got something nice.

Thing is, I dunno if we plan on getting those or not... looks, right now, to be under "not".

Shadow Hog said:
I feel like explaining just what the Hell I was on about, anyway.

Quake has some interesting commands in its console, to be sure (impulse 9 and impulse 255 FTW), but most intriguingly, all the commands that would move the character and make him do things were actually in the console. All the keys you set up are just binds to console commands, in effect.

Thus, if you wanted to make the character run forward without having to hold the up (or in many cases, including my own, W) key, you could pull down the console, type in "+forward", and watch your character mindlessly charge forward with no concern for his own safety. This could be stopped by typing in "-forward", or, since you had a bind to some key on the keyboard, just hit the forward key, which would automatically stop him (keyboard binds are kinda funny - it's +command if held in, and automatically -command otherwise, but +command has to be invoked using the bind first - hence why the character doesn't stop until you start the bind up and cease it again).

Why does this mean anything to us? Well, we could make little in-game cutscenes with some scripting. It wouldn't be hard - teleport the character to the appropriate spot with a linedef executor, then execute the script, making the character move EXACTLY as planned. A few CECHO commands here and there, and you've got something nice.

Thing is, I dunno if we plan on getting those or not... looks, right now, to be under "not".

YES! We need that. I so want Sonic 3 style level transitions without having to use crappy speed pad mazes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back