A couple of A_RemoteAction questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceKGreen

Neon Knight
I've been getting... ideas, recently, and there are some things I'd like to know before I start.

1. When using A_RemoteAction, does setting Var1 to -1 cause it to only affect the object's target?

Mostly I'm asking this because from what the wiki says, I'm assuming setting it to 1 would cause it to affect all hypothetical Blue Crawlas in the level, instead of just the hypothetical targeted one.

2. Assuming the answer to question 1 is yes, say I set an object to target the player. Would the player actually go to the state specified in Var2, or just do the action from that state?

Just want to know if I should bother making a special extra sprite or not.

Unrelated extra question: is there a way to make thoks not affect momentum? The ability I have in mind would work a lot better if it could activate without affecting xy momentum.

1. When using A_RemoteAction, does setting Var1 to -1 cause it to only affect the object's target?

Yes. Setting it to -1 or anything below -2 (not inclusive).

Mostly I'm asking this because from what the wiki says, I'm assuming setting it to 1 would cause it to affect all hypothetical Blue Crawlas in the level, instead of just the hypothetical targeted one.

Setting it to 1 makes the object that calls A_RemoteAction to do an A_FindTarget-esque search for the closest blue crawla and affect only the one found. If you set it to 0 or any other valid object number, it will search for that object.

2. Assuming the answer to question 1 is yes, say I set an object to target the player. Would the player actually go to the state specified in Var2, or just do the action from that state?

It will just do the action from the state.

is there a way to make thoks not affect momentum? The ability I have in mind would work a lot better if it could activate without affecting xy momentum.

I'm afraid not, a thok will always replace the current momentum according to the character's actionspeed.

I'm afraid not, a thok will always replace the current momentum according to the character's actionspeed.
Blargh. Well at least I don't think it resets z momentum...

One last question...

When using A_ZThrust, is the thrust applied for every tic the state lasts, or just applied once?

When using A_ZThrust, is the thrust applied for every tic the state lasts, or just applied once?

You can test for that quite easily, but no, it only applies it once. The turretfire actions are pretty much the only continuously acting actions in SOC.

Also, I'd like to mention something: For most reference actions(A_PlaySound is an exception), setting A_RemoteAction to use the actor's target or tracer will cause the game to crash if the actor doesn't have one; so if you are going to use it that way, you have to be completely certain that the actor's target(or tracer) is defined when A_RemoteAction is used.

The turretfire actions are pretty much the only continuously acting actions in SOC.

Well that's a few more states to add in for the intended effect then. Should be able to keep it to one custom thing and 5-7 states though...

Thank you all for all your help. Now to go argue with this weird old laptop's "runs GMod just fine, Blender not so much" thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back