Sonic Unleashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I just saw a glimpse of first person view similar to mouselook in SRB2 in the video. >.>

nitro_the_hedghog said:
I think I just saw a glimpse of first person view similar to mouselook in SRB2 in the video. >.>
That was a debug tool. See, why Sonic has 99 lives and no score all the time?

After seeing the video a few times I was thinking about how I could easily go about making a better track. However it is highly possible that this was an engine test or something similar that is to showcase how the gameplay works. The level setup is probably going to be entirely different.

Whether a free-roaming exploration based game or a race-obstacle based game with platform elements is better is easily a matter of opinion. Both are great, but in my opinion, I would rather see the new Sonic game in the latter genre. There is SRB2 for free-roaming perfection or as close as we can get anyways, or you can always try out Zelda, which from what I've played from Ocarina of Time seems to be very exploration based.

Past 3d Sonic games with free roaming really hadn't taken advantage of that free roaming anyways. Just thinking back I believe that the Knux levels were the only ones to do so and they clearly aren't Sonic-y. Speed Highway, Emerald Coast, Final Egg, Seaside Hill, Rail Canyon, etc. could easily be made into SatSR style tracks and we would miss out on little to nothing. (Lost World may be an example of what free roaming levels coulda-shoulda-woulda been)

I would prefer free roaming in the sense of "you can do anything you want". Not like the last games normally do of forcing you to do something (for example, if I want to run backwards the level, I should be able to if I want, at least a decent distance, not that I can't return just a few meters because a stupid loop sent me to a very distant platform).

Meh, no trust in this game. Not because it seems more based on action and speed than difficulty, which I absolutely don't mind. Thats what Sonic is about, and he'd be a slow bastard like in the old games because they concentrate too much on jumping and accelerating.

No, the speed looks just fine. Its the fact that I see beautifull enviroments, nice sunshine in the face, and then I suddenly notice its an on-rail game! And there I was thinking I'd have some freedom and could go exploring those beautifull areas. They also haven't payed attention to details or anything. Sonic's model looks like its been made by the makers of Spyro. And since you're gonna have to look at Sonic all the time while you play, I'd say thats more important than making a beautifull enviroment that you can't even enjoy during playing because you're always forced to skip it. The story looks kind of depressing too. Sonic turning into an evil Crash Bandicoot version of himself isn't making me all too happy, and I'm no fan of dark storylines anyway.

You know what would look like a better Sonic game to me? A newer version of Sonic next gen, this time also for the Wii. You're probably like "WHAT?!?!", but lemme explain. Sonic Next Gen felt like it could be a really good game. Those mach speed zones were one intense experience, untill you tried to steer. The load times could have been improved too. Collision detecting was horrible too. Actually, there were a lot of things wrong with the game. But it all felt like it could be dang awesome. Thats right. They rushed the entire game. You can rush a game like Sonic Rush(coincidence they named it Sonic Rush?) and get a good game. Same with Sonic and the Secret Rings. Those kinda games are harder to screw up. Games like Sonic Adventure, though, need more time. They have incredible potential, which you might have noticed from SADX, but you can screw them up real bad. If they would have just taken more time for Sonic Next Gen's gameplay(AND the loading times!!) it would have been much better. You have to admit, racing the Sonic-fan dude felt totally embarassing. Any 11 year old kid could beat him, and Sonic was barely double as fast. Goes to show how they had to slow him down.

Anyway, that game just had great potential, and they screwed it up, due to rushing it. They should just continue that game, and take their time this time around. Sonic Unleashed is just that type of game thats fun the first few times around, and will be eating dust for the rest of its life later on. It doesn't have any replay points. Thats what happens when you force players to take 1 path. The only thing you can change about the route is to take the upper or lower path. This game won't be worth the time. I wouldn't recommend to SEGA trying all too hard on this game. Because you don't have to to make this game decent. You can never surpass the level of "decent" with this game. Try a new Sonic Adventure again, or remake Sonic Next Gen. Those games have the potential to get your reputation back. Just don't force yourself to make great stuff out of it in a small amount of time.

Talking about Sonic Next Gen, I got all hyped up by that first trailer. Y'know, where Sonic runs at super sonic speed trough a forrest, jumps of a cliff making one of the most beautifull views ever seen in-game, lands and gets chased by robots, goes faster than you could ever imagine, and then comes in some sort of castle. He's trapped there, gets shot at, runs up a wall, hits a spring, and jumps outta there. Sonic runs on to a huge plain, and gets surrounded by hundreds of robots. Then Super Sonic shows up. It was one legendary video, and I'm wondering why they took every wonderfull thing that you saw in that video away. There's no beautifull forrest you're running trough, or jumping from a cliff, or even going at Super Sonic speeds for that matter.(Well, the mach speed zone comes close to 200 miles a hour.) You never went against an army of robots and turned Super Sonic on regular occasions either....

But oh well. It was exactly the same with Twilight Princess. They got your hopes up too. You thought it was one huge amazing field, and that the game would be like a MMORPG without the online part, seeing as how the forrests and all look connected. If you would think of Zelda fighting alongside Link with a sword, or Link storming out of a castle going against hundreds of enemies on his lonesome(count Epona out), you'd nearly wet yourself. Too bad it will never happen. I won't get my hopes up like that again. It always ruins the game experience. You hope for the best, and get a medium/bad game. I was totally excited when I would get Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess...untill I actually played them. They weren't actually that bad...but from what I was expecting, it was like a punch in your stomach.

I know that after seeing this I came up with somewhat of a storyline for a good sonic game. I'd type it all out but I'm too lazy right now. Maybe later though.

Honestly if Sega makes a good Sonic game then I'll believe it's a joke. And honestly it looks better than what I was expecting for it. But surely there won't be any PC version :/ Sega hates PCs, as if everybody could go and buy a console. And even yet the PC version would take up a lot of resources making the game drop the framerate a lot. Shame :/

And SMS, the reason they made such a detailed enviroment is because the first thing criticism takes into account in order to annihilate a game are the layout graphics, then the rest of the graphics and then the sound. Sure, they often remark all the bad points of the gameplay, but in the final score they put, at least, 10% more than what they should have put, taking into account what they said, not how the game really is. And since they're customed to bad gameplay, they take it as decent, so the game deserves often even less score :/

By the looks of the video, my guess would be they're still working on Sonic. They're just showing off for now.

Showing off? This all was leaked... in theory. It's weird that just now game info gets leaked from a Sega FTP :/ Is it really that easy to hack it?

Also, isn't it weird the fact all this shows up near April Fools? (yes, I had to ask it).

Heh, from what I'm hearing lately about this and from what I'm seeing from the whole "werewolf" thing, Sega will be giving us a crappy game again like they have since a decade ago.

Like most developers do these days :P

But yeah, somebody go and paint "EPIC FAIL" on the head of the lead designer :P

It looks like a 2D game to me.

I'd, myself, like a 3D game that they don't make people expect for 3 years; they just keep it under wraps, finish it, get the trade mark, and announce that the game is coming out next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back