SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Miscellaneous (2.0.X)

Chaos Mode (Chaosmode.soc) Details »»
Chaos Mode (Chaosmode.soc)
Developer Last Online: Mar 2019

Version: SRB2 Rating: (4 votes - 4.00 average)
Released: 06-18-2010 Last Update: Never Installs: 5
SOCs Re-Useable Content

It's everyone's favorite no-longer-existent gametype, Chaos Mode! Now in 2kb SOC form. (Which is tiny enough for you to have no excuse not to host with it and turn downloading on)

For those of you not familiar with the gametype, it works about like this:
You load up a match level- or CTF- and enemies start spawning. (Since I can't actually change the gametype listing, I recommend playing in Match Mode.) Players try and kill as many enemies as possible, and in the end whoever has the most points is the winner!

Since most modern maps won't have Chaos Spawnpoints, enemies will spawn from the Emerald Spawnpoints. Of course, emeralds will still spawn, but now they'll be surrounded by a massive cluster of enemies. An enemy will spawn from each point once every ten seconds, with a 50% chance of it being a Crawla, and a 10% chance each of being a Jetty Gunner, Vulture, FaceStabber, Sharp, or Snailer.

So that's it, go have fun. Fair warning though, as the name implies, this gamemode is CHAOTIC. It'll take about 2 minutes on average for things to get ridiculous, but depending on the map it may go nuts sooner. One thing's for sure though: Don't spend more than 5 minutes on one map, unless your computer is a masochist. (Or you're actually good at killing those things. In which case, feel free to take as long as you like. See if you can manage to go super while you're at it.)

Download Now

File Type: zip chaosmode.zip (569 Bytes, 1258 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20001.png
Views:	1914
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	803  

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 06-19-2010   #2
SpaceKGreen
Neon Knight

Definitely downloading this, but I'll have to wait till sometime I'm not half-dead from lack of sleep to actually try it. Hopefully the fact that it's Match mode and you have access to weapon rings will help even the odds. Sharps, Snailers, and Jetty-syn Gunners? Yeesh. *cringes*
Old 06-19-2010   #3
WhiteHeroAlex

One word can describe this download, and that word is crazy! This mode is just way to chaotic, even for a pro! Impossible to not die unless you have it set to something like 100 points to win. That's what makes it good.
Old 06-19-2010   #4
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

This sounds really cool. I'm actually going to try it on the Tortured Planet Match levels.

EDIT: WOW, that is epic. Here's a suggestion: Can you make it so that the ratio of weak to strong enemies is really heavily weighted towards the weak at the beginning, more so than it is now, but over time the frequency of stronger enemies gets heavier? That would be really cool.

Last edited by Fawfulfan; 06-19-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2010   #5
D00D64
Worst Ranked 'Kart Player

Fawfulfan, do you even know the limitations on SOCs? :P

I mean, it's TECHNICALLY possible, but then frames would have to SPECIFICALLY be made for a certain length of time, and probably take tons of frames to do.

My awful Twitter account

My also awful YouTube channel
Old 06-19-2010   #6
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D00D64 View Post
Fawfulfan, do you even know the limitations on SOCs? :P

I mean, it's TECHNICALLY possible, but then frames would have to SPECIFICALLY be made for a certain length of time, and probably take tons of frames to do.
Technically possible is better than impossible.

I don't have that broad a knowledge of SOCcing...beyond making a basic enemy like the Blecch Bouncer, my experience with SOCs is extremely limited.
Old 06-20-2010   #7
SpaceKGreen
Neon Knight

74600 on Meadow Match.*

GOOD GOD. I WILL NEVER SLEEP AGAIN. THE SOUNDS OF MISSILES, SHARPS, AND VULTURES WILL FOREVER HAUNT MY DREAMS.

good god.

No seriously. That was fun. :D I spent most of the time running in circles, firing rings, and running head on into Vultures and missiles. So much stuff flying, crawling, running, spinning in every direction... Chaos is an understatement. Never even SAW an emerald in that mess. Probably because of the Snailers.

Based on the experience I've had with this, and the strategies needed with the new enemies, I would personally vote for Chaos to become an official gametype again.

*Not a very high score, I know. Too busy running like an idiot.
Old 06-20-2010   #8
Whackjood
The unreliable joodge
Judge

This soc works in CTF, do you know what that means?

A frantic race to capture the flag five times before the map is over run with Sharps, Snailers and more. One of the most hectic things I have done in a long time, and on the larger CTF maps, rather difficult. A real blast if I say so. Although... If you get hurt by a sharp, you may as well just give up that flag, because that Sharp isn't going to let you pick it up again :p
Old 06-20-2010   #9
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whackjood View Post
This soc works in CTF, do you know what that means?

A frantic race to capture the flag five times before the map is over run with Sharps, Snailers and more. One of the most hectic things I have done in a long time, and on the larger CTF maps, rather difficult. A real blast if I say so. Although... If you get hurt by a sharp, you may as well just give up that flag, because that Sharp isn't going to let you pick it up again :p
Oh God, I need to try that out. And a netgame in Casual Room needs to be made with that too.
Old 06-20-2010   #10
abiT

For 1P is good. But when I am playing net game all players got consistency failure after 5 seconds when joined.
Old 10-17-2010   #11
Eggmanfan

Finally the return of chaos (Make it spawn bosses probally not brak eggman) this is so amazingly chaotic.
Old 10-18-2010   #12
Metal-Rawr
Friendly lurker, I promise.

Am I the only one who tried this on Tortured Planet's What The Heck Zone with tunes 120 on? Its epic. I never got to collect the 7 chaos emeralds to try and beat some of the robots (which is my main goal whenever I play this).
And this works with CTF? That makes this SOC even more awsome!
Old 10-19-2010   #13
SRB2PlayerFan
Now known as Super Chris.

I thought Chaos Mode was no longer available.
But this SOC brings back the good memories of SRB2's Chaos Mode.
Old 10-19-2010   #14
Kim the Fox!!!
What am I doing here?

I remember I made a chain of 325 enemies. Of course, chaos_spawnrate = 1. I'll never forget that. Chaos is such a good gametype. I mean, was.
<~Kim the Fox> I think he'd love to hear that personally.
<@Miles Knuckles Power> Yea XD
Aww, they love each other so much :D
Old 10-23-2010   #15
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Chaos wasn't exactly a good gametype. It was fun to mess around with on your own (especially by screwing with the variables), but it sucked as a competitive gametype because it was more or less luck who got the enemies. Which is exactly why this SOC is so awesome, and the gametype sucked.
Old 10-24-2010   #16
Kuba11
^Avatar made by VOLT!^

This soc is great! Returning chaos mode with appearance of chaos emeralds keeps thing fresh, but possibility to shoot rings may make chaos mode too "chaotic":D.
Old 11-26-2010   #17
Jet Kirby
Now known as Ryuspark

Man, that was fun. Glad you brought Chaos Mode back. Never seen so many Jettysyns at one place....

I'm serious, stop looking at it!!!
Old 12-03-2010   #18
badboy

Lots of fun, I never played the original Chaos mode, but this one sure was fun!

Oh.. and the only way to get emeralds is if you know all of the spawns by heart (and even there.. you really need to know ALL of them, and the EXACT point that the emerald is, because it'll most likely be covered by enemies).
Old 12-05-2010   #19
Kopper
Does not use Sonic.

The best part about this soc is that it not only sabotages the Match mode, but CTF and Tag, too. Gahaha, can't wait to bust out some Tag with this, maybe set respawnitemtime way down low to give people a chance huh? :D
Old 12-05-2010   #20
daiches99
Mr. Magic Series

I'm slightly addicted to this. I got 6500000 in 30 minutes.
Is there any way you can tone down the number of Sharps that appear because they are very frustrating to avoid.