SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2014   #2261
ZX
Shrine Maiden of Asskickery
 
ZX's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Warrior View Post
Hinote shares almost no resemblance to Blaze.
She's a purple cat with yellow eyes, and she's pyrokinetic. No resemblance, hmm? In any case, the creator herself even said that inspiration was mainly drawn (pun intended? you decide) from Blaze the Cat, and it's evident in the basics of her design, though that does not make her "unoriginal"; though, I personally find the whole concept of originality to be like perfection: something we can only get closer and closer to, but never fully attain. It's often the smaller things -- keeping Hinote as an example: her outfit, her hairstyle, and even down to her (possibly undisclosed) personality -- that define a character's "originality". After all, as you said, we draw our inspiration from something that already exists. (And for the record, Hinote never said doing so made anything unoriginal...)

Anyways, seeing as this is a picture post topic, I'm gonna digress back to that. I'm keeping spoiler tags around it because someone insisted that it was "NSFW" in one of the chats I was in, though there are no traces of nudity -- just a simplified outlining of the female anatomy from an artistic perspective. Symbolic? You tell me. I'm clearly no master artist, though, and I'm still fleshing out and developing my style, so don't expect anything super amazing. If things like this are not permitted, then I'll take it down after being told so~

inb4"ewshe'snaked" (thanks Hinote)
Spoiler: Corrupted Angel thing.
__________________
Levels In Progress
Pristine Forest Zone 1 - ???%
ZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2262
MotorRoach
Top Cock
Developer
 
MotorRoach's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX View Post
originality to be like perfection
If you want to know, nobody is truly original, or a genius, because everything is based on inspiration or copying other things. Going to school? You're basically copying what someone else is teaching. Although don't get the wrong idea, I'm not saying that originality is something nobody should bother with. What I mean is that discussing what originality truly is will more likely be a waste of time. Probably the same goes for perfection.

However, I appreciate people at least TRY to be original, rather than just recoloring Tails or something like Burning-Fox did just to then overreact to defend his fancharacters and think any backstory makes up for the bad design. If you want to know what I think about them, I don't like them at all, due to most of the cases being self inserts to the Sonic universe or just copying designs, like really. I appreciate that people like Hinote did try to make something more-so appropriate and original, but I still don't recommend that people test their designing and story creativity with Sonic content.

In all seriousness, this fan character bullcrap is getting on my nerves, it ruined one of the only threads I like in General Discussion, and find this picture to be rather fitting in here. Both for fitting to the context right now and the thread's purpose.

__________________
What
MotorRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2263
ZX
Shrine Maiden of Asskickery
 
ZX's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorRoach View Post
If you want to know, nobody is truly original, or a genius, because everything is based on inspiration or copying other things. Going to school? You're basically copying what someone else is teaching. Although don't get the wrong idea, I'm not saying that originality is something nobody should bother with. What I mean is that discussing what originality truly is will more likely be a waste of time. Probably the same goes for perfection.

However, I appreciate people at least TRY to be original, rather than just recoloring Tails or something like Burning-Fox did just to then overreact to defend his fancharacters and think any backstory makes up for the bad design. If you want to know what I think about them, I don't like them at all, due to most of the cases being self inserts to the Sonic universe or just copying designs, like really. I appreciate that people like Hinote did try to make something more-so appropriate and original, but I still don't recommend that people test their designing and story creativity with Sonic content.

In all seriousness, this fan character bullcrap is getting on my nerves, it ruined one of the only threads I like in General Discussion, and find this picture to be rather fitting in here. Both for fitting to the context right now and the thread's purpose.

Can't say I disagree with anything you've said thus far. The comment relating originality to perfection was more of a personal remark, and wasn't meant to spark a discussion of any kind. It's as you said: if we were to discuss that, it'd be a waste of time. Plus, we'd probably all be here for hours anyways.

In any case, I suppose it's up to the individual whether or not they decide to use Sonic as the base for their experimentation, though doing so does leave them rather limited in their options, and then this whole "originality" bit comes into play and it's just bleh. Can't really word it any better than that, heh.

Love the picture, by the way. It is extremely fitting.
__________________
Levels In Progress
Pristine Forest Zone 1 - ???%
ZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2264
Alice
Aka Hinote
Developer
 
Alice's Avatar
Default

The subject about Sonic fan characters in art is rather silly to get serious about, especially in this thread. I was only stating a point if one were to try and design a Sonic character, it would be difficult to be original. I do have to agree with MotorRoach though, if someone were to practice designing characters, I wouldn't use Sonic material as practice.

Personally, I prefer to design robots and other mechs like I have in my classes.

I'm going to go post one of my doodles I did one night because if there's one thing I wish to have, it would be the ability to never sleep and still function because I have so many things I could be doing while sleeping. Sleep is a waste of time.

This is me in a nutshell when someone tells me to go to sleep.

Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2265
Charybdizs
it's lamp for supper, kids
Judge
 
Charybdizs's Avatar
Default

Hey, that's really cute!

Spoiler:
BUT!

It's got a human form, with cat ears. You've managed to steal designs from both the feline race, AND the human. And I'd swear that thing is a mechanical koopa. How sickeningly unoriginal of you.
__________________
A dome structure? something that could be filled with diatomaceous earth?
Charybdizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2266
Burning-Fox
Does not approve of rails.
 
Burning-Fox's Avatar
Default

I know I said my previous post was going to be my last on the subject, buuuut...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorRoach View Post
I appreciate people at least TRY to be original, rather than just recoloring Tails or something like Burning-Fox did just to then overreact to defend his fancharacters and think any backstory makes up for the bad design.
I DO try to be original. I don't know if you've ever taken a glance to the realm of fancharacters, but no-one starts off with totally original designs at all. Ever.

Cal, AKA, Burning-Fox, Tails with firey stuff everywhere, is literally just meant to be a recolour. He's my representation on SRB2 when I use Tails. Same goes for Inferno but with Sonic. I don't give a damn if it's unoriginal. Sob sob cry cry.

SMT is a fan form once again... *yawn* I hardly give a damn if you people complain that it's Tails but glowing really bright yellow with traces of red and green in different places. GET OVER IT.

And Sam, well, he actually has some EFFORT put into him to make him a bit more distinct from Tails.

Casually, I rummage through my photobucket to find some more pictures of characters of mine...

An old picture of Darkness. ...Le gasp. Do you see any traces of Tails? Sonic? Knuckles?


Older picture, but of Spectre. Yet I went so fucking crazy with the armor and stuff I don't even think it matters.

And now we go into pictures of my characters drawn by my super talented friends.

Above is Metallic, below is Darkness.


The above two characters of mine were drawn by my very talented friend Uncanny-Illustrator. http://uncanny-illustrator.deviantart.com/ Link posted because they don't like their stuff being posted elsewhere without credit given. They have a lot of original designs too, actually. But they started off recoloring other characters~ c: So you can go ahead and check 'em out.


THIS is Chase. Drawn by Lady-Tragedy, another friend of mine. http://lady-tragedy.deviantart.com/ Once again not too big with the whole art getting posted elsewhere without credit thing. So yeah. She started off with a Shadow recolour, I believe, and it became her character Geof. Go ahead and check her art out too.


On the subject of pictures and art by the way...

...Yep.

(Burning-Fox received a warning for this post: Act like a mature adult. Use some common sense when posting.)
__________________
Hai! I use rail rings to prove how cheap and easy they are to use!
FUCK RAILS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm a thief.

Last edited by Burning-Fox; 04-14-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Burning-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2267
MotorRoach
Top Cock
Developer
 
MotorRoach's Avatar
Default

Spoiler:
I gave up on reading that post once you said "GET OVER IT". Stop thinking the overuse of casual or army clothes makes up for a Sonic character's design, that's something everyone tries to do to make their character "stylish" and it's overdone, while in the Sonic universe, like, only girls wear clothes, and they are not even that overdetailed either. Not all of your FCs look bad, but you try to compensate for the designs with a bunch of clothes, it doesn't help on the design. The only one of those that I can tolerate is the last one for being more so simple.

There is already a super form available for Tails, making another one is just more unoriginal than Dragon Ball Z, and completely unnecessary. When you claim Super Tails is unoriginal, you go and make something EVEN WORSE.

"Nobody starts with a completely original design", you say, but it's your own fucking fault for sticking with just Sonic designs, it just proves you are not even trying to be creative. Go draw a giraffe, a frog, a turtle, anything else without basing it on Sonic, that would already be a great step outside your delusional little world of "creativity" based on Sonic, if you care so much about trying to be creative, because trying to make something unique with Sonic designs is a blatant waste of time, if you are going to just go and make long posts defending your badass fan characters.

Get the hell off your high horse, nobody has to tolerate you for your Unwarranted Self Importance just because you think your fan characters are not all that bad. If you don't want to be called out on your own bullcrap, do something about it, anything but defend your goddamn fan characters. I recommend you don't even bother trying to reply, because I feel I already said more than I should. Jesus Christ.


By the way, here's some Darius ship.



EDIT: Mystic, I hate you so much right now. I honestly thought you knew better than that.

(MotorRoach received a warning for this post: Don't post flamebait.)
__________________
What

Last edited by MotorRoach; 04-15-2014 at 05:51 PM.
MotorRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2268
Burning-Fox
Does not approve of rails.
 
Burning-Fox's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorRoach View Post
Spoiler:
I gave up on reading that post once you said "GET OVER IT". Stop thinking the overuse of casual or army clothes makes up for a Sonic character's design, that's something everyone tries to do to make their character "stylish" and it's overdone, while in the Sonic universe, like, only girls wear clothes, and they are not even that overdetailed either. Not all of your FCs look bad, but you try to compensate for the designs with a bunch of clothes, it doesn't help on the design. The only one of those that I can tolerate is the last one for being more so simple.

There is already a super form available for Tails, making another one is just more unoriginal than Dragon Ball Z, and completely unnecessary. When you claim Super Tails is unoriginal, you go and make something EVEN WORSE.

"Nobody starts with a completely original design", you say, but it's your own fucking fault for sticking with just Sonic designs, it just proves you are not even trying to be creative. Go draw a giraffe, a frog, a turtle, anything else without basing it on Sonic, that would already be a great step outside your delusional little world of "creativity" based on Sonic, if you care so much about trying to be creative, because trying to make something unique with Sonic designs is a blatant waste of time, if you are going to just go and make long posts defending your badass fan characters.

Get the hell off your high horse, nobody has to tolerate you for your Unwarranted Self Importance just because you think your fan characters are not all that bad. If you don't want to be called out on your own bullcrap, do something about it, anything but defend your goddamn fan characters. I recommend you don't even bother trying to reply, because I feel I already said more than I should. Jesus Christ.
Aaaaaaand I'm about done here.
Spoiler:
I don't give a single shit what you say about MY fan characters.
If you're that bothered about clothing, just try to picture the overclothed designs without any clothing then. I think you'll find that they still look somewhat decent in that kind of imaging. The military clothing is because he actually is... le gasp, PART of a military in a totally different canon to the original Sonic universe. And female character clothing is dull and boring in the official Sonic Universe. O wow, a jacket. O wow, a dress. Yay.

And how DARE I make something that makes playing as the vanilla characters actually fun. How DARE I make slight little changes to make things more exciting. How DARE I enjoy myself. How DARE I.

Did I say any of my fancharacters were badass? Ahahahah no. I did not. None of them are even that badass at all. The only one that even remotely acts like that is Striker, and that's for obvious reasons which I've already explained.

And if you wanna say more, whatever. Feel free to waste your breath explaining that my fan characters are bad. I don't give a damn anymore.

Also, I'm not even on a high horse. I'm not ABOVE anyone. I never said that anywhere. Though it's a bit dickish for people to flame others over fucking characters. Sure, generic. Sure, unoriginal. Cry me a river.

Don't like it, ignore it and move on like the rest of the forum seems to be doing. Just because I'm "infecting" this thread with fan characters doesn't mean you have to break your brain looking at them.

inb4 infraction

(Burning-Fox received a warning for this post: Act like a mature adult. Use some common sense when posting.)
__________________
Hai! I use rail rings to prove how cheap and easy they are to use!
FUCK RAILS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm a thief.
Burning-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2269
Alice
Aka Hinote
Developer
 
Alice's Avatar
Default

Spoiler:
I hope you are done, Burning-Fox, because I can't help but stress the point that your argument for defending your fan characters is silly and you shouldn't have to make it such a big deal just because others are criticising you for it. Technically I don't see MotorRoach flaming you for your fan characters and rather he is explaining to you how to designing a character at a better approach. Of course, if you take art and designing seriously, you'd probably understand his point of view.

You're only giving yourself attention and it's really unnecessary. If you like your fan characters so much, fine, but don't expect people to like them. It's hard enough already to take you seriously when you try to defend your fan characters.


Here is a squishy version of Metallia, parody of those sukusuku's from Touhou.



And another picture from this video game because I can't stop drawing Metallia, her hair is too fun to draw. The coloring process on this was different from my usual painting style so I had a lot of fun doing this picture.

Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2270
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes
 
CobaltBW's Avatar
Default

Not gonna lie, fox, I was hoping you'd be smarter than this.

Most of us are trying to give you feedback on how to improve, but you're too fazed by the criticism to let it sink in. I hope when you're older you'll grow some thicker skin.

(CobaltBW received a warning for this post: Don't post flamebait.)
__________________
~CobaltBW

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff

Last edited by CobaltBW; 04-14-2014 at 06:40 PM.
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2271
Burning-Fox
Does not approve of rails.
 
Burning-Fox's Avatar
Default

So feedback is saying I put zero effort into characters. Kay.

If you want to give me feedback I'll listen to, how's about you actually use a nice tone instead of outright saying my fancharacters are just plain awful?

(Burning-Fox received a warning for this post: Act like a mature adult. Use some common sense when posting.)
__________________
Hai! I use rail rings to prove how cheap and easy they are to use!
FUCK RAILS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm a thief.
Burning-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2272
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes
 
CobaltBW's Avatar
Default

If the whole point of your Burning-Fox is to represent you because that's who you play as in Match/CTF, then so be it. But don't think it's any more original than anything else we get on here.

If you want to dazzle anyone on here with your creativity, think outside the box and do things that haven't been done yet.

Like I said earlier: a different species. A reason for existing (is it just a representation of who you play as in CTF? is it a unique character with fun abilities someone can play as?). Intelligent color scheming and the right amount of detail (don't clutter up your designs with useless shit, keep it practical). Don't use Sonic, Shadow, or Tails as a base. (Or any character for that matter.) Start from scratch.

EDIT: Alternatively, you could just make a character not based off of the Sonic franchise. I'm trying to argue the validity of a decently executed fancharacter; what is my life
__________________
~CobaltBW

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff

Last edited by CobaltBW; 04-14-2014 at 07:09 PM.
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2273
Burning-Fox
Does not approve of rails.
 
Burning-Fox's Avatar
Default

Thank you.
Right, this is my last post on the subject for real. Sorry for taking up so much of the topic, but honestly, there's no need for screaming "bad fancharacter" and leaving it solely as that. Really.

I already have a character idea that hasn't really been done before here. A large hulking dragon character. Can breathe fire like actual dragons can according to myths. Can fly for a short amount of time, but is so heavy that it doesn't last. Can't jump too high, and falling off a high place shakes the ground. Slow as hell, but powerful if you're in range of him. No use of any official character as a base. Not even that dragon character from SatAM that I literally just remembered exists.

Is that good enough for you people? :v

FYI you don't have to respond, lel, just shrug it off or something, IDEK.

Just to try and actually get the bloody topic going again, have a really old, (and terrible) picture of Fire Sonic I did. Fun fun fun~
__________________
Hai! I use rail rings to prove how cheap and easy they are to use!
FUCK RAILS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm a thief.
Burning-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2274
CoatRack
Official Community CoatRack
Developer
 
CoatRack's Avatar
Default


Something non-Sonic that is used as a way to design a new character? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? (also, this is Alto "Freezor" Stratus, a character of mine that I made that is a rebuild from this old Sonic FanCharacter of mine.)
__________________
The Genocide Pack, "MADE IN THE STYLE OF THE 8 AND 16 BIT CLASSICS!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
I bet you can't make a face as crazy as this!
CoatRack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2275
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes
 
CobaltBW's Avatar
Default

The stylization (especially of the face) seems a bit out of place. If you change his proportions to be a little more condensed and cartoonized it would probably fit in. (For instance, make the arm cannon and hand bigger so that they stand out.)
__________________
~CobaltBW

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2276
Maximus Universal
Pogo
 
Maximus Universal's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryExplosion View Post
I think my eyes just burned from those bad things you call "drawings." You can barely see the eyes on Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow.
Well "Thanks" >:(
Ugh, critics.

Maximus Universal:


I choose 2 lines to make the eyes, have a problem with that?
Your post might have just ruined my day.

And they're not drawings, they're sprites.

EDIT: NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING!!!!

HMS123311:
__________________
I'm stuck in sonic oc purgatory

Last edited by Maximus Universal; 04-14-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Maximus Universal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #2277
Burning-Fox
Does not approve of rails.
 
Burning-Fox's Avatar
Default



This is based on a thing I did in art for school. Basically this is meant to represent equal rights for women and all that yada yada.

The wings are symbolizing taking off and flying into the world to do things that couldn't be done before with the simple human form. The white symbolizes purity and a fresh start. The woman herself represents all of the other women in the world. The claws represent not truly being free, and always having to face something like sexism and restrictions unfortunately.

The piece is called "Freedom...?" because it really is quite questionable if women are seen in the same way as men are in everyone's eyes.

Simple answer; they aren't. Which is terrible.

Fuck you anatomy. *cri 5ever*
__________________
Hai! I use rail rings to prove how cheap and easy they are to use!
FUCK RAILS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm a thief.
Burning-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #2278
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

Hey you idiots: Grow the fuck up. That means ALL of you. This conversation should have ended here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinote View Post
...if someone were to practice designing characters, I wouldn't use Sonic material as practice.
This is a thread for posting art. It's not a thread for posting how awesome your original character do not steal is. If I hear more out of this bullshit after this post, bans will be issued.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #2279
Maximus Universal
Pogo
 
Maximus Universal's Avatar
Default

New Sprite

Super Sonic:
__________________
I'm stuck in sonic oc purgatory
Maximus Universal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #2280
STCPhoton
 
STCPhoton's Avatar
Default


I made this a week ago for my DA account.
It's Zhire'El.
__________________
▐▀▀▼▀▀▌
//► ℟ ◄\\
▐▄▄▲▄▄▌

Last edited by STCPhoton; 04-15-2014 at 12:53 AM.
STCPhoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Srb2 world with pics mikey6018 Editing 218 07-06-2012 10:40 AM
Need Help with level pics. EternallyAries Editing Help 12 12-15-2010 08:29 AM
Two pics I made out of boredom Pikawil General Discussion 6 02-27-2004 11:40 PM
Post your pics... Mystic General Discussion 56 12-20-2003 05:46 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.