Quake??

Status
Not open for further replies.
With loads of programming SRB2 could do that.

Quake should be edited perfectly fine with any of t'days editors, it looks mostly like Doom, Doom 2, Doom Legacy, and Hexen. I could be wrong though :wink:

Quake's mapping format is completely different from Doom, and uses actual 3D. This allows it to do correct slopes as well and just place areas above other areas simply and easily, instead of the hack-like tricks Doom uses to do similar effects. Quake 2's engine is really quite robust, and is totally open source.

Most modern editors will edit Quake, if I recall, but try using Google. I can tell you for a fact that all of the Doom editors we use will NOT edit Quake levels.

The reason SRB2 uses Doom is because that was the most powerful thing available when it was started. If you're looking for a powerful open-source engine, Quake 2 is currently the best available, as far as I know.

Mystic said:
Quake's mapping format is completely different from Doom, and uses actual 3D. This allows it to do correct slopes as well and just place areas above other areas simply and easily, instead of the hack-like tricks Doom uses to do similar effects. Quake 2's engine is really quite robust, and is totally open source.

Most modern editors will edit Quake, if I recall, but try using Google. I can tell you for a fact that all of the Doom editors we use will NOT edit Quake levels.

The reason SRB2 uses Doom is because that was the most powerful thing available when it was started. If you're looking for a powerful open-source engine, Quake 2 is currently the best available, as far as I know.

Oh

It was a long time ago when I played Quake anyway :mrgreen:

Quake 2 actually runs better than SRB2 does. Quake 2 runs perfectly on my PII266 at 400x300 OpenGL.

I've seen some pretty impressive mods done to half-life, which uses an advanced version of the quake II engine. Race car derby, Matrix, you name it. And of course, Counterstrike.

The models are pretty easy to change too. All you need is a 3D modeling tool called Milkshape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back