Remember September 11th (SRB2 USER EVENT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wtc-2004-memorial.jpg

I know this is probably the last thing anyone would expect, but for the sake of the occasion, Zeshiro and I would like to bring the following to your attention.

Its been five years since the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001. Zeshiro and I feel that we, as a community, ought to do something to commemorate this tragic event. Now, don't get too excited. We're not planning some huge fireworks.wad or catchOsama.wad game like that. This is something much simpler.

What we'd like to do is have a group gathering in a netgame tonight, September 11th, 2006, at 8:15 PM, EST. We'd like all participants to color their characters in red, white, or blue. By 8:25, we will stop waiting for players to join, and will hold a moment of silence. We may or may not have a few games afterwards, depending. Zeshiro and I were thinking of ways we could adjust a few gametypes to a patriotic post-911 theme.

If you want to participate in this event, search the gamelist tonight for "Remember 911." The IRC chat room will be #remember911. Additional servers will be made if the first server is filled.

Note: Do not come with any wad files uploaded. This event is to be completely unmodified so the greatest number of participants possible may join.

I realize this is a bit late, but I hadn't gotten a chance to write this up until this afternoon. Hope to see you all there, anyway. I won't be there until just before we start (work till 7:30).

- High Hat 314

So... Yer having a netgame to commemorate Bush and the government screwing us over so they had a reason to go to war? Nice.

Jason the Echidna said:
So... Yer having a netgame to commemorate Bush and the government screwing us over so they had a reason to go to war? Nice.

Bush is an idiot. The only reason he made up the lame story of WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION (nuclear weapons) is because Saddam (I think I spelled that wrong) tried to assasinate his dad.

Jason the Echidna said:

No we're not doing this for anything political. We're just hosting a simple netgame. We'd like to pay respects to those lost that day, and to the lives shattered by the ripple effect of the disaster.

Jason the Echidna said:

I was waiting for someone to say something like that. I hoped against it, but I knew, somehow, someone would see this as a political gimmick.

This has nothing to do with the Bush administration or the decisions our government has made. This has to do with remembering the lives lost in what is quite possibly the most cataclysmic attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor, and the Civil War before that.

This has to do with commemorating the lost lives of widowed wives, orphaned children, sacrificed saviors among firemen and policemen, as well as those serving in the Middle East. Unless you'd like to tell me that those collective thousand some-odd lives were a conjoined effort of our government, I'd suggest you reconsider what this is all about. This is a humanitarian response, not a political response. Regardless of whom the culprit is, this is about commiserating over those lost lives.

Thanks for the positive, understanding reply, Jason.

High Hat, it's completely and utterly ridiculous to talk about 9/11 without talking about the political ramifications of it. To say that the human suffering and political firestorm are separated in any way is lying to yourself. Pearl Harbor and the Civil War were both political issues as well, despite the thousands of casualties. In TIME, people will mark this day as a day of rememberence, but December 7th is not a big deal anymore, and in 60 years 9/11 will be irrelevant as well.

Now, if you don't AGREE with Jason's opinion, that's a different matter, but your biting sarcasm with the "I'm high and mighty" tone of voice makes you look like an asshole, and honestly I don't think that's what you were going for there.

Mystic said:
High Hat, it's completely and utterly ridiculous to talk about 9/11 without talking about the political ramifications of it. To say that the human suffering and political firestorm are separated in any way is lying to yourself. Pearl Harbor and the Civil War were both political issues as well, despite the thousands of casualties. In TIME, people will mark this day as a day of rememberence, but December 7th is not a big deal anymore, and in 60 years 9/11 will be irrelevant as well.

Now, if you don't AGREE with Jason's opinion, that's a different matter, but your biting sarcasm with the "I'm high and mighty" tone of voice makes you look like an asshole, and honestly I don't think that's what you were going for there.

What he was trying to say was that we aren't doing this for anything political. He was merely correcting JTE. Great job of pointing out what could hardly be taken as a "I'm high and mighty" tone, but you failed to point out JTE's attempt to belittle our event. Nice job on the biased post, Mystic.

Zeshiro said:
What he was trying to say was that we aren't doing this for anything political. He was merely correcting JTE. Great job of pointing out what could hardly be taken as a "I'm high and mighty" tone, but you failed to point out JTE's attempt to belittle our event. Nice job on the biased post, Mystic.
Honestly, I was going to lock the topic because of breaking the rules, which it does, but I figured we needed the standard 9/11 discussion topic, and I let it stay because of that. Now, if you'd like to say that this topic is in fact just for setting up a netgame, then that'd be directly against the forum rules and henceforth is grounds for a lock.

I'll note that of COURSE I am bias. Anyone who says they are not is lying to you.

Lock. Rule 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back