• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Whackjood's level design shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT:

THIS IS USEFUL INFORMATION, shame I have no idea how to implement it because Lua is a brick wall to me.
Code:
--[[ USAGE GUIDE
    Edit bosslist to have the object types of every boss you need to delay execution of. These bosses will be 
    frozen on load. To unfreeze, run a Linedef Executor - Call Lua Function (LD443) with "BOSSINIT" in the upper 
    texture and blank textures in middle and lower. The tag of this linedef is the index of the boss on the 
    bosstype table to init. Indices of the current list are given in comments, but if you alter the list, these 
    values may change.
]]

local bosslist = {
    MT_EGGMOBILE2,            -- 1
    MT_EGGMOBILE3,            -- 2
    MT_EGGMOBILE4,            -- 3
    MT_BLACKEGGMAN,            -- 4
    MT_CYBRAKDEMON,            -- 5
    MT_METALSONIC_BATTLE    -- 6
}

local idlebosses = {}

local function idlizeBoss(thingtypes)
    if type(thingtypes) ~= "table" then
        thingtypes = {thingtypes}
    end

for mo in thinkers.iterate("mobj") do
        for _,v in ipairs(thingtypes) do
            if mo.type == v then
                idlebosses[v] = mo
                mo.flags = $1|MF_NOTHINK
            end
        end
    end
end

local function unidleBoss(thingtypes)
    if type(thingtypes) ~= "table" then
        thingtypes = {thingtypes}
    end

for _,v in ipairs(thingtypes) do
        if idlebosses[v] then
            idlebosses[v].flags = $1 & ~MF_NOTHINK
            idlebosses[v] = nil
        end
    end
end

addHook("MapLoad", do
    idlizeBoss(bosslist)
end)

addHook("LinedefExecute", function(line)
    local tag = line.tag
    if bosslist[tag] then
        unidleBoss(bosslist[tag])
    end
end, "BOSSINIT")
I sure hope this actually works like I think it will because TESTING BEFORE YOU POST IS FOR LOSERS

Last edited:
Wackjood, what is your image host? because I can't see your images. (Fire fox user)

...I have the feeling it's probably going to be me taking that torch. x_x

(What luck that I've got my MIDI stuff back as it was before just recently!)

RED'S BIG BLOCK OF Lua
Despite the adventures in incompetence I had, I eventually got this to work. Thank you very much!

(Although I do still need a way to make events trigger specifically on the pinch phase of Eggscalibur and Old Brak, because the general boss pinch phase linedef triggers on ANY boss pinch phase. Also to include Old Brak I'll need a way to teleport the Sea Egg waypoints, sorry to be a bother in any way but I cannot wrap my head around Lua at all)

Wackjood, what is your image host? because I can't see your images. (Fire fox user)
I'm using my Mediafire account, although I can see the images just fine and I use firefox. I don't know what the problem is, sorry.

...I have the feeling it's probably going to be me taking that torch. x_x
While a remix of the SRB2 boss theme would be nice thematically, please don't feel pressured to do so if you don't want to :> especially as a friend of mine suggested I use this song and I probably will use it because I find it works very well in the boss rush.

1v7fshnw2d8iaeufg.jpg

Brak must go now, his home planet needs him.

(this happened earlier due to Brak Eggman confusing a Sea Egg waypoint for one of his own and I keep cackling at it)

maybe the problem is I have mediafire blocked via adblock.

and the reason I did that was because of how popup ridden the site has become to me even with adblock on.

also I'm not sure the Old Brack uses the sea egg's exact same points.

On SRB2 Mesuem, I have both bosses up and running at the same time, and behind glass but that's not the point here. Point is, Brack Eggman never tried to jump to the Sea Egg's arena.

Now that might be because it needs to trigger its jumping before it even makes an attempt, but still, it's something to experiment with.

(Edit) turns off addblock for the page, appartently it does use the same waypoints.

Last edited:
Metal Sonic arena w/ death egg textures & colour palette + visible colourmap fade

u1t4j2i2sf14j5kfg.jpg

Metal Sonic arena w/ death egg textures & colour palette + full brightness

1qvn5y6a4deemqhfg.jpg

Metal Sonic arena w/ death egg textures & default colour palette

spzwsb59a985q59fg.jpg
Opinions?

I feel like this texture would be cool put on a cylindrical skybox. It's just not the kind of texture that looks like it should be conforming to a box—it looks more like a background, IMO.

While a remix of the SRB2 boss theme would be nice thematically, please don't feel pressured to do so if you don't want to :> especially as a friend of mine suggested I use this song and I probably will use it because I find it works very well in the boss rush.

Are you actually gonna use that tune? I'm willing to grab the torch if you want a remix and Monster Iestyn's not up for it.

Anyway, boss rush map is more or less finished. But I'll need to wait for 2.1.9 to be released before I can implement some bug fixes to make it play better.

I'm interested in making more traditional single player levels though, and I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in collaborating with me? I'd like to just focus on level design because that's what I'm good at, I cannot draw or code to save my life :P

I've got a big list of ideas I'd be interested in making, but if I'm collabing with someone I'd be happy to adjust them to fit what the person I'm working with wants to make as well.

So yeah, if an artist, coder, musician, or anything of the sort wants to work with me as I slowly do level design and make fun things PM me or ask in the thread for more details.

List of level themes I plan on working with; autumn hills, frozen mountainside, egyptian desert/volcano combined, city, steampunk factory, coral filled underwater caves, oriental floating islands, space station.

I'd be happy to work with just about anyone, even if you're not very skilled. I'd rather I was working with people who are having fun with it and collabing because they are interested in what they are making after all.

Anyway, boss rush map is more or less finished. But I'll need to wait for 2.1.9 to be released before I can implement some bug fixes to make it play better.

I'm interested in making more traditional single player levels though, and I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in collaborating with me? I'd like to just focus on level design because that's what I'm good at, I cannot draw or code to save my life :P

I've got a big list of ideas I'd be interested in making, but if I'm collabing with someone I'd be happy to adjust them to fit what the person I'm working with wants to make as well.

So yeah, if an artist, coder, musician, or anything of the sort wants to work with me as I slowly do level design and make fun things PM me or ask in the thread for more details.

List of level themes I plan on working with; autumn hills, frozen mountainside, egyptian desert/volcano combined, city, steampunk factory, coral filled underwater caves, oriental floating islands, space station.

I'd be happy to work with just about anyone, even if you're not very skilled. I'd rather I was working with people who are having fun with it and collabing because they are interested in what they are making after all.

I would love to. I have been doing a lot more drawing in recent years, just need to post get into the habit of posting some things (or at least one thing, hahaha). Mapping is something I have been trying to do more, just need to make time to work on things bit by bit.

I am willing to, I just work at slower pace at times when it comes to things outside of sketching. I just need elaboration on how exactly can I help as far as drawing and mapping.

I just need elaboration on how exactly can I help as far as drawing and mapping.
I've sent you a PM with details regarding what I'm looking for.

Agreed, I love to help (Although I'm not THAT skilled) I try my best...(?)
Well, what kind of things are you looking to make? I'm sure I can find a use for you, but you haven't released anything as far as I know so I'm not entirely sure what your strengths are, sorry. Can you do texture/sprite work? Or are you just interested in level design?

I'm interested in doing some level design with you, specifically the Egyptian desert/volcano combined and coral filled underwater caves options :3

Just a heads up to anyone I agreed to collab with. Sorry for going quiet for a while, I've just been quite busy for the past week and as such I've been too exhausted when I finally get home to really do much. This will probably carry on for maybe another week or two, then I can get back to making cool things.

Just a heads up to anyone I agreed to collab with. Sorry for going quiet for a while, I've just been quite busy for the past week and as such I've been too exhausted when I finally get home to really do much. This will probably carry on for maybe another week or two, then I can get back to making cool things.

Not a problem, as long as you were able to take care of what you able to that is what matters most. Finally got done with my final for school, so I will be able to dedicate more time to the collab, hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back