• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

50 level Mod named Sonic Golden Vacation Bombs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know on average how long it can take to make a very good map from start to finish? it can take days, weeks, or even months. It is almost impossible to make a good stage within a couple of hours. It takes time to make it look good & also play good.

It seems you are rushing this mod as far as what I've been reading. The story's corny, doesn't really make it stand out; Eggman sets a bomb up on a place, blows it up, and here we go through some stuff. You'd be better off making a few zones than making hundreds of levels which would take forever to finish properly. I'm not being offensive to anyone on the team here here, but also with a team of Inexperienced level designers who also design levels with the same quality as you do and never improve on the design, I doubt this'll go anywhere unless you start improving on your level designs.

Start off small with 1 or 2 levels and when you improve on your levels, then show us what you got. If it doesn't turn out as good, then keep practicing, if you start to succeed slowly, then keep going until you think you are ready to start making a mod. Making 100 levels as everyone else said is ridiculous and is a waste of time. The task sounds like it's too big for you to handle as it is. Also Keep the character roster to the original 3 characters. We really don't need any other characters.

Last edited:
I know. What is the trick to making these good levels????
Here are some 'tricks' that I 'use':
-Have fun while making maps. SpiritCrusher thought mapping was tedious, and that resulted in his contest map being average instead of decent. At least you say you do have fun.
-Good ideas are essential. A stage with just platforming and little else can only be average at best, while a level with some good ideas has the potential to be a great one.
-Knowledge of what's good and what's not is required. I, personally, look at other maps' positive points (particularly the official maps) to make my own maps better.
-Solid effort needs to be put into maps. Take your time. Good maps are rarely made in less than a week. For example, my rush job stages (Aquatic Relic, Amber Ravine), which were made in one day, got lower scores than the maps I spent most time on (Crystalline Caves and Diamond Blizzard, who took more than one week each).
Single player stages need all the more effort to make, because they limit your creativity somewhat less compared to multiplayer stages.
An example:
2vjycds.jpg
^This area, providing only about 10 seconds of gameplay if you rush through, took more than a week to make, perfecting most details and secrets.
When you make an area, ask to yourself: 'Is this area as good as I envisioned it to be? Did I put all my effort into this?' If the answer to either one of those questions is 'no', you have to put more effort into it.
-Don't rush everything. This is basically a repeat of the previous 'trick', but I can't explain this enough. Do not make maps in (less than) a day or several days, that will most likely not be enough time to put enough effort into your maps.
-Don't get overambitious. Start off small (single stages, contest submissions), and when most people think your levels are good enough, start doing some bigger things (complete zones, multiplayer packs). However, unless you're basically a god at mapping, don't make a pack with 100 levels. That's about as overambitious as you can get, and it will only be a disappointment in the end, really.

I might have forgotten some things, but these things are the basics.

Last edited:
Thank You. I appreciate those tips. I will slow down and work like this. I might cut it down to individual acts instead. Be aware I will start asking many level questions in the editing help board now.

Last edited:
I am so tempted to reply with "no, do twelve and a half". Really, you shouldn't be planning on a number of stages for your level pack in the first place. Only focus on one level at one time, and don't think about anything else until it is done and as good as you wanted it to be. Then, you can start another one.

Hikari's facepalm picture is adorable. That is the only positive thing to say about this thread.

Please, for the love of god, realize what it takes to actually make a proper level pack. For comparison, Mystic Realm took around 5 years of off and on work to make, and it has around 35 stages, including boss acts and placeholders like Prismatic Angel 2. Many of the proper stages in Mystic Realm took multiple weeks to crank out, and even the lazy stages like Nitric Citadel took more than a day.

Before I even decided to MAKE a level pack, many of Mystic Realm's stages were made as a standalone. If you really want to make a level pack, try making a single, 3-act zone, or make single acts and submit them either to the OLDC or Submissions for feedback. Considering your stages are still getting pretty mediocre feedback in the OLDC, it's pretty clear you still need a lot of work to be able to make a decent stage, never mind 25, 50, or 100 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back