• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Jungle Ruins *Beta*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidbit

An artist of sorts
This is a level i've been working on for a while on and off. But I like to think that time is very important when creating a wad. Simply because, it allows the wader to perect what he has so far. I enjoyed working on what i have so far, because i think the textures i've used work well together.

==Please remember that this is just a beta, so not every thing is added and only being posted to see what you think.==

Screenshots
http://img169.imageshack.us/i/srb20009.png/
http://img338.imageshack.us/i/srb20013.png/

Download
http://willhostforfood.com/files4/8/6/5/8651467/s_jungle.zip
The zip file has to versions of the wad, both with different music. Please tell me which sounds better.

It's kinda cramped, and there are some really cheap death pits. However, the visuals are good, and the concept is great!

thank you, im going to open up the level after where it ends, and i'll fix up the deathpits, but which song version did you like better?

OH, so THAT'S why there were two WADs. I didn't read your first post carefully XD.

I only played the second, but I really liked that one. It was a seamless integration of the DSZ music with a jungle theme.

Huh...well, nothing specific. Just open out the cramped tunnels a bit, and make the jumps over the death pits a little easier.

My Review.

The level suffers quite a lot here. The rooms are bland, and almost have no detail whatsoever in there at all except the bad enemy placement near the end of the stage. The outside area has a small bit of detail, but not much and the texture choice really didn't suit the level in some areas, though it was ok in some. It also suffers from cheap deaths as well, and in cramped areas, making it frustrating for Sonic players, if not almost any character to try and complete it. You can also get stuck in the powerful current before entering the room with the red crawlas and you can't escape from it. The only thing I liked was the DSZ remix. I think it would suit a dark jungle/underwater ruin theme well.

Part of your death pit does not work.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jjpi7m&s=3

Rating & Overall comment = 2/10

To be perfectly honest I think you really need to scrap this level, look in offical levels like GreenFlower Zone or Techno Hill to get a good idea of how a level like that is made properly. This critique may sound a little harsh, but I hope you understand this is so you can inprove on your future designs.

Last edited:
==Please remember that this is just a beta
I understand,what your saying. But, im not going to scrap it. And also about the crampness that has already been brought to my attention. And please remember, That the statement "not every thing is done yet", means that the current design and feel isn't what it'll be in the final. And next time you give your "review" dont tell me to look at GFZ and THZ to see how "proper" levels are made. Because i have looked at many wads, and no one fits the same mold of a wadder. And I would also like to say, that i like to work on the design and layout first, before i work on every thing else. And I know about the wrongly placed enemies, im glad that you brought them up, since i believed i had removed them.

I understand,what your saying. But, im not going to scrap it. And also about the crampness that has already been brought to my attention. And please remember, That the statement "not every thing is done yet", means that the current design and feel isn't what it'll be in the final. And next time you give your "review" dont tell me to look at GFZ and THZ to see how "proper" levels are made. Because i have looked at many wads, and no one fits the same mold of a wadder. And I would also like to say, that i like to work on the design and layout first, before i work on every thing else. And I know about the wrongly placed enemies, im glad that you brought them up, since i believed i had removed them.

We're not trying to tell you to be like everyone else, we're trying to tell you not to make something that sucks. I haven't tried it, and I don't plan to, to be honest, but I had to say that. I don't however, agree that you should scrap it. Just keep working with what you have until it's in good working order. If something is wrong with the level, and has been "brought to your attention", you need to fix it. We also understand what "not finished" means. You posted this in a place where you're going to get feedback. Instead of getting annoyed by it, take it into consideration. GFZ and THZ are very good examples of how to make a level. You've only been told to consider looking at them as a reference, not to duplicate the exact style.

And by the way, your attempt at quoting yourself failed. =P

yeah i wrote that post at 12 last night when i got back from going out to DC. And i have taken into what Hyperknux said. Im going to redo to start area and i've already began redrawling a better deisgn. And hopefully people will excuse what i've posted above. But please do expect, the next time i update that this lvl will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back