• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Moonlight Hill Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky

Kay
For my new level pack. I'm making also this level together with Egg Generator.

Note:There is a part that you have to make a path with sonic, tails or knuckles, but tails can go through sonic's path. I don't know how to change that but for now please do the level in the correct way.

I'm making this new levels because I wanna show that I improved a little bit in designing levels skills.

I'm gonna give you guys some screens and a link and then you can give criticism.

This thread is going to be here for a while so please administrators. don't remove the link.

I will finish the first version of the level pack in less than a month.
Anyway here it is some screenshots:

And now I have OpenGL working so:

I have more screenshots but I'm lazy so deal with it :P

Here it is the link:http://depositfiles.com/files/3pyz0kblg

Now tell me what you think and if you have any suggestion, feel free to say it.

EDIT: Tyler52 is helping me with the music. If anyones wants to join this project, pm me.

Last edited:
This is an improvement, but go easy on the Death Pits. The chain-hang part could be funner if instead of dying for falling off you would have to just take a different path.

Anyway, on to composing...

I forgot to ask. If you want something of the level to be changed, please, let me know in this theread and I will see what I can do.

I'm really sorry for thr 3rd post, it's just to see if people can check the theread. Honestly, I think it was kinda ignored.

Please download and criticize the level.

Moonlight Hill Zone ~ Review

Hi Rocky. Remember me? I'm from the MS and decided to join the MB a few days ago. I guess I'll make my debut with this post. ;)

Anyways, Rocky, if you want to be criticized, then I shall criticize. After all, I wanted to see how you make your levels and decided to play with all 3 characters start-finish.

Moonlight Hill Zone

Pros:
~The arrow designs had that professional look to them.
~The openings and the flower-patches are original and look good imo.
~I love how all 3 paths join at the water-passageway.
~The secret for +20 rings is very nice and well-thought of.
~The 1-UP location's scenery is nice, but is somewhat too easy to find.
~The unique sectors =D

Cons:
~I feel as if the first few paths are somewhat too small
~Overuse of death pits is a big +. Try making alternate paths when the character falls
~Pathways For Characters:
~~The paths for each character need to be less obvious. This is nature, not factory. For example, in the water, knuckles could break some rock into a passage that brings him to a secret or shortcut.
~~I didn't find any other alternate paths other than the one that specifically told that.
~Too many enemies:
~~The first thing I notice is the overuse of red crawlas. If you're going to overuse the crawlas, at least place them more spread out and use some blue crawlas.
~~Every tree it seemed was covered with an enemy. Maybe every 3 trees or so max, but every tree? To me, it seems you rush copy-pasted each tree once you finished and decided to change one to a ring-box.
~~Knuckles' shortcut just-has-too-many-red-buzzes! They're crazy! If you are going to use that many buzzes, use some gold ones! Maybe 3-4 red at most.

Neutral:

~Just as a reminder, DON'T make everything too symmetrical. This is taking place on mother-nature, is it not?
~I feel as if the gimmicks are repeated throughout, such as the huge tree place and the mushroom-bounce-house.

BUGS/GLITCHES:

~Slight Hall of Mirrors when about to finish the water-pathway.
~Incorrect waterfall; remember, a waterfall is just like a water block. Use a FOF, only it will have more height instead of width. Make the texture that is currently the waterfall texture the "common texture".
~None of the fish have Z-axis defined.
~SRB2 Error: R_GetFlatNumForName: Could not find flat FLOOR0_6
~One of the checkpoints is an (almost) instant death hotspot. Make sure the crawlas are far enough from the checkpoints!

Moonlight Hill Zone

I must say Rocky, this level is quite nice and big and filled with lots of secrets, but it's kinda basic and does have some flaws and visual glitches, as well as some cheap practices.

35lygs7.png

This isn't fun, this is just cheap.

For example, take the image above. There is a crawla right next to the starpost, which makes it extremely hard to jump to avoid getting hit and die. And then you have to avoid doing it again since you spawn back there and so forth.

Also, there aren't any rings near that starpost either, while up ahead you have to climb some platforms with crawlas on them which makes it even harder to not die. And another thing, hiding Green Snappers, which can't be attacked from the sides behind grass on a platform you have to jump up to get to is kinda cheap, especially since - if you didn't get the super ring monitors on the other side of the falling leaf platforms - it makes you even more likely to accidently die.

Some visual glitches:
10pzq80.png

2w3dv1l.png

n700sl.png

Some places where you have forgotten to apply the correct textures on the wall. The first is in the room with the trees, the second after the waterslide, and the third is the begin of the Knuckles path. Talking about the waterslide...

2j63cck.png

For some reason something here is causing these slime trails to appear, which of course doesn't look all that aesthetically pleasing.

You should also cut down on the crawlas in the room with the trees and arrows on the ground, since it causes some framerate issues. Talking about cutting down, how about removing tree or two, or removing a few of the sunflowers that surround every tree?

Also, the last area which leads to the goalpost are just some bland floating platforms, which stands in contrast to the visual of the rest of the level.

And besides, whats up with Sector 668 which sitting at the edge of the level apparently doing nothing? (Say, is that red line around the level the boundaries or something?)

But, I also have to say that this level is big, has quite some replay value and lots of secrets for you to find, as well as being very visually appealing. You just have to tweak a few things here and there and your level will be alright.

That Hall Of Mirrors, I can't fix it. I don't know how. The crawla at the starpost will be removed.
Maybe, just maybe the level will be extended.

I'm going to fix the bugs that I can fix. Thanks for the reviews so far. More reviews are welcome.

This is something I ran into allot when I first started mapping and I can tell right away that you have the same issue. It's a side effect of looking through a ridiculously large area in the map. The game's freakin' out trying to render all your textures. OR if you have a less than finely tuned thok barrier over this horizon, the game could be trying to draw all that as well. Another thing I found helpful is to move any control sectors that might be on the other side of the thok barrier straight ahead.

The easiest way to fix that is to shorten the corridor, but barring that you can occasionally fix it by ADDING detail, as counter-intuitive as that may sound. The renderer has more trouble with long, blank corridors than it does with long, detailed corridors. It doesn't always fix it, but considering adding detail is a good thing to begin with, you honestly should.

Thanks, really. That stupid glitch annoys me like hell and it screws the whole level concept to be honest, but now I can FINNALY fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back