Cave Story on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEV3

There and back again~
Link if you haven't played it yet

Cave Story was recommended by practically everyone in SRB2FUN, particularly Prime 2 and a few others. (my memory is always hazy with regards to conversations) So I decided to download it and give it a try. Another topic here announced the coming Wiiware version, but since I'm not going to have the money to buy a game I can download for free, I will probably be playing the PC version for the most part.

One of the things I like best about Cave Story is its amazing storyline comes across quite well despite being limited in terms of graphics and sounds. It has events that have been more meaningful to me than any cinematic in any game I've played thus far could have been. The story itself starts without you knowing anything, and you slowly put the pieces together... but you don't get the whole story unless you are willing to put up with some substantial punishment.

The secret level is definitely the most genuinely challenging I've ever played in a sidescroller where the only thing that could count as unfairly cheap is the fact that the final boss does not have a save prior to it. I've tried time attacking it, but no luck so far... so my best time attack so far is somewhere around 14 minutes.

[spoiler:647db3ad55]Anybody who wasn't shocked by Curly's death is too heartless to be invested in any storyline. I pretty much froze when that happened, and came back multiple times to try to get her to wake up... when the door shut behind me I could hardly stand it. The illustrations at the end of the game were awesome, but I would have really liked to see an illustration of the door closing behind him after he left the room. (and one of him carrying her for the alt ending... calls to mind the scene at the end of Return of the King) Perhaps I'll get good enough at pixel art to make one myself in as much the same style as I can someday.

The music in the abandoned mimiga village felt so appropriate and although the empty village added to the atmosphere, it was the event I just endured that was really fleshed out by it.[/spoiler:647db3ad55]

Also what weapon combination do people around here prefer? Personally, I almost prefer the Machine Gun-Blade to the Spur-Blade because of the ability to use infinite flight, but this probably would not have been so helpful in the alternate ending.

Also, I've played Schism, which seems to be quite a good (though incomplete) mod, which does a good job in bringing its own 'huh?!' moments, but are there any others out there I should probably look into?

I like the Snake/Nemesis combo in the secret level. I hate the Blade, and the appeal of the Machine Gun wore off once I got used to Booster V2.0.

Great game, just wish it was longer. Ikachan isn't bad either, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short.

BTW, did you find all the badges and secret items? They don't have any use, but they're good for bragging rights considering how obscure some of them are (Chaco's Lipstick & Curly's Underwear come to mind).

EDIT: Oh, and my best time is 11 and a half minutes.

I bump this because I completed the challenge level.

I played the Mac version. Its one of the best free games I have ever played. I just wish it was long thou because you can easily beat this in 4 to 6 hours.

Challenge Time: 8'23'4

[spoiler:2fc8cee379]
Video shows challenge level beat in 3:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3SZkJMh5Po[/spoiler:2fc8cee379]

I did the challenge time in 8:14:something. I have yet to do another run-through after being Ballos twice in a row the last time around.

I do wish Jazz Jackrabbit had bosses of Cave Story's caliber.

I couldn't finish that special challenge. I get to the boss point, but he kills me. I tried for about 2 hours when I simply gave up. If I'm gonna play it again, I'll wait for the DS port to be finished first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back