8.9M earthquake and tsunami hits Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Happened... what.. 2-3 hours ago? I think I read that it's the 7th largest earthquake recorded in the world so far. Death toll is still being counted, but last I checked, it was 19. We'll see how much higher it'll get later. And what was it... 53 countries got evacuation warnings?

I'm probably going to sleep soon, so I won't know the result until later, but still...
I hope everyone I know there's alright. D':

Last edited:
Personally currently watching the BBC stream here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

The footage of the tsunami hitting Japan is just jaw-dropping. I definitely hope that the loss of life will remain minimal, but considering the absurd footage I can't imagine that it will. Also, hopefully people will actually heed the tsunami warnings across the Pacific, as it looks like it will be going across the ocean, similar to the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004. Of course, the Pacific is a lot better prepared for this sort of thing.

Ten meter waves. TEN METER WAVES.

Oregon has a warning, too. Luckily I don't live on the coast. I've got family down there, though.

Death toll now currently 26... Oil refineries burnts and worst earthquake to hit Japan in 140 years.

Last edited:
BBC's footage over the last hour has been pretty damn scary, I'll say that much.

Since nobody else has bothered yet, I'll leave this here:
waveeta.jpg

Estimated arrival times. Can't find exactly when the start time is, though...

Last edited:
You think this is bad? Just wait until Tokyo gets ground to dust by its next big earthquake. Tokyo sits on a point where three separate fault lines converge, and hasn't suffered a massive earthquake since 1923...which means the pressure has been building since then, and will inevitably be released an an absolutely catastrophic way sooner or later.

The death toll will be gradually rising as the tsunami travels further out to sea and the efforts in Japan come to fruition and a final death count is made certain.
Thankfully Tokyo is well prepared for an Earthquake situation and, for the most part, the buildings are designed to prevent an earthquake from causing a monumental loss of life, so the capital is relatively safe at least. I don't know if the same safety regulations applies for the coastal areas of Japan nearest the epicenter of the earthquake though.

Currently worried for a friend of mine who lives in the Philippines though, I'm not sure whether she's safe from the tsunami at this moment.

BBC's footage over the last hour has been pretty damn scary, I'll say that much.

Since nobody else has bothered yet, I'll leave this here:
waveeta.jpg

Estimated arrival times. Can't find exactly when the start time is, though...
According to that I will get hit by the tsunami in approximately 9 hours after it occurs.. which... IMO is about 11 PM (+7 GMT)......

Well.. if it really hits me.. bai bai guys.. :(
Too pesimist, think optimist.
It won't hit me in a million years! (lies.. >.<')

My friend left to study abroad in Japan just 2 weeks ago. Luckily, he was far enough away from the earthquake to be alright. However, he said that when it hit, the building he was in was shaking so much that he couldn't stand.

Yeah, I have many friends in Japan that could be affected by this, and I'm thinking about them. =/ This is horrible. And I'm visiting Japan in October, too...

I saw a Youtube comment that said "Damn nature, you scary." on one of those videos. Why does everyone have to make a joke over EVERYTHING? Clearly they haven't thought that this tsunami could cost hundreds (or even thousands) of lives! Jesus christ Youtubers, get a fucking grip!

I'm glad there's a barrier to keep the tsunamis from hitting where I live. My teacher's sister was in Japan, so I hope she's all right...

Your not really asking that question right? I mean you do know that there were people who got killed, injured, and/or missing because of this Tsunami right?
You're*

Anyways, I bet he didn't mean it as not caring about those people. He was just asking if anyone at Nintendo died/got hurt.
Thanks for your concern! During the earthquake no one at Nintendo HQ in Japan was injured and there was no apparent structural damage.
http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=152633

Last edited:
Your not really asking that question right? I mean you do know that there were people who got killed, injured, and/or missing because of this Tsunami right?

Guys I do have a heart, you know... I do feel bad for those people.

Do you think it might have any effect of the opposite side of the tectonic plate (California)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back