SRBG: Alpha Preview Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Pepper

After a couple of months of testing everything I knew about Game Maker, I finally have a decent Preview Alpha of SRBG to show everyone. I know it is fine to discuss it here since ths is an engine, not an actual fan game.
So what exactly is SRBG you ask? It is intended to be a limited recreation of SRB2's engine in Game Maker, with some enhancements. I'm making this for personal reasons only, but have decided to showcase it's progress publicly.
Sorry for the long post, I tried shortening it as much as possible.
Here are some screen shots:
screenshot100.png

screenshot135.png

screenshot136.png

screenshot142.png

screenshot138.png

screenshot143.png

screenshot103.png

screenshot106.png

Here is a list of what it's currently capable of, please remember this a preview alpha, this engine has a long way to go...
-Third and First person camera views(controls are being addressed, as it's very hard to control)
-Split-screen COOP(Very buggy)
-Custom characters (still need to add things, like custom acceleration rates)
-Debug console (doesn't have a whole lot of commands yet)
-One playable zone, with Boss. (although the Eggman boss is still a WIP, he's very stupid and harmless currently)
-Abilities, like thokking, flying and gliding/climbing! (controls for these abilities are being refined)
-Playable characters, such as Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles. Rouge and Blaze are included as custom characters.
-Joystick controls for Player 1 and 2. (WIP)

For the n00bs who don't check readme files, I've taken some important Q/A from the FAQs in the readme and put it here.

Q:Is there going to be a complete set of 6-9 zones for single player mode?
A:Not officially. Although once I can finish a decent map builder for SRBG, you could take such matters into your own hands.

Q:What are SRBG's main goals, and are you competing with SRB2?
A:Personally, I love SRB2, and don't want to compete with STjr, but rather trying to recreate SRB2 in the GML enviroment, with some enhancements. SRBG is basically going to be like a limited recreation of SRB2 on a different development platform with a DirectX graphics renderer. (Limited meaning it's not portable, won't work with SRB2 WADs, cannot run without a D3D accelerated graphics card, and will never be able to fully reinterpret the look and feel of SRB2's engine)

Goals:
-Fully functional/controllable third-person and first-person camera modes
-Working ramps to run on and wall-running
-2-4 Player Split-screen VS. and COOP Modes
-Custom characters and 'costumes'
-Extra sprites for more character actions, like picking things up and pushing movable objects
-A whole host of options and unique GUI
-More obvious features, like a map editor and an easy-to-use character builder

-What will never happen in SRBG:
-Official and complete single player level pack.
-Slopes and cork-screw loops
-Netplay
-Color mapping
-FMV clips
-Chao gardens, too lame and next-gen for classic Sonic gameplay
-Game Console ports

Q:If you're not actually making a full-blown Sonic game out of the SRBG engine, then why are you working on this in the first place?
A:SRBG is a personal engine test, basically. I'm a crazy SRB2 fan and want to see how far I can push Game Maker, no surprise what happens after that. :P If SRBG is a success in its goals, I can use the engine as a base for my own original game, which will behave like SRB2 in many ways.

Q:Does SSN or Sonikku know about this?
A:SSN knows about it, because I asked him if it was ok to share it with the SRB2 MB, and he had no problem with it.

Q:Who's involved?
A:So far, I'm the only one working on SRBG, every last line of code and the test zone was written by me.

Q:!w00t!1 dis iz AW3Z0M3!1!!1!11!!11! Iz wil mod teh sorce into somting cool an releese it on teh SRB2 mesage bord!1!1!
A:That would be a bad idea. Any Message Board dedicated to the discussion of SRB2 should never be a showcase for a mod or character that isn't compatible with SRB2. SRBG is completely different from SRB2 in too many of ways, please take SRBG stuff somewhere else.

Q: This i 2 col, cn i b ah beta t3st3r or somthin'?!11?
A:First of all, I am not asking for or even need Beta testers, I can test just fine by myself anyway. :P
The answer totally depends, really. I obviously don't need texture artists, musicians, spriters, sounds, map designers and especially not Beta testers who'd leak crap to the public nine times out of ten. You must already have my personal trust and type intelligible English to actually become a useful Beta tester.

Q:Can I help you program SRBG?
A: Once again, it all depends, can I truat you with such sensitive code? If so, how comfortable are you with GML?

Now for the download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?myytzzwkngx

Wow Dr.P, this sounds like awesome stuff. I'd love to test it out when I have the chance. *downloads at speed of light*

Ok, time for my review.

Pros:
.Pretty neat stuff at the moment considoring it being made in Game Maker.
.The character abilities work.
.The new gimmicks and features such as the vertical moving platform and the ramps/slope (whatever) work.
.The ???????? zone was cool.

Cons & bugs:
. The Movement feels very slippery, and you can't brake easily so you may want to set some of the characters speeds to different stats as Tails & Amy especially don't run that fast.
. Most character palettes are incorrect. Sonic is steel blue, Tails is bronze, Amy's dress is a very dark red when it should be a bit brighter. However, Knuckles & Rouge's palette are the only correct character palettes' used in this beta. So mainly, the palettes need abit of editing especailly the character palettes.
. You can go through some of the floors especially the one near the springs and first deathpit. Also some floors are have no floor tiles on, either that it's glitched.

Overall for a preview, It's looking promising despite the glitches & bugs. If only DB had some of these features, but yeah, good stuff & keep it up ;).

Pro's:
Knuckles has actually got running etc. sprites. ^^
Ramps. Shadows. etc.
The secret stage is awesome.
Con's:
Still abit buggy, Falling through the floors etc.
It just doesn't feel right (the controls),
Jump doesn't look natural,
Physics are abit...strange...
If you are up against a wall, your character looks paper flat,
Falls are painfully slow.

Apart from that its great for a preview. Keep up the good work. ;)

Wow. Those screenshots could have been from regular SRB2 except for the console one! Great job! I'm downloading it now.

00000000/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahh! A fangame of another fangame... and with ramps. yes! I'm seeing ramps there! @.@ )

Good job EVEN! I'm amazed.

As I know a bit of GML, I'll try to give you some tips:

1) Improve collision box of char with walls: not so beautiful seeing chars almost getting into the walls.

2) Increase gravity value, it's a bit weird seeing chars almost floating on air. Otherwise, increase values for jump and x/y movement.

3) Char is slipping, try to use friction variable to slow down char speed (or increase it if existing).

4) It's awkward char movement while is falling up/down, seems he can walk on air: try to decrease x/y movement while on air.

My congratulations. You almost made me come back to code in GML. Please, keep it up. I abandoned GM after I saw bad results with my project. I would like to see new improvements soon :D

cya

EDIT:

5) Chars can kill themselves if trying to shoot without ring... and he earns an extra life when dies.

Ow, man. I'm sorry, but this is really, really painful.

Please fix the movement. It's downright awful. First of all, there is no real inertia. Pressing forward will make you accelerate forward somewhat, and then pressing backward will sharply jolt you 180 degrees with no loss of speed, rather than making you slow down, which is what is supposed to happen. The system also can't seem to decide whether the left and right arrow keys are to turn or to move in that direction. Kill the ambiguity, by picking one or the other, please. Oh, and WASD + Mouse? Completely broken. W and S always move me in the same compass direction regardless of where I'm facing, and A and D don't do anything.

The gravity... oh man, where to start? You aren't following the laws of physics. At all. The jumping path is a sharp movement upward, and then a jolt back downward suddenly. This is unrealistic and lazy. It is also impossible to see the arc of the jump. To add insult to injury, implementing more realistic jumping is actually easier than the method you're using. All you have to do is set the Z momentum upward, then continuously subtract from the momentum every gametic. It's not hard.

Add this to the numerous bugs (you disappear forever after pausing, for example), and... well, this thing is nearly unplayable. Even for a preview alpha, you are releasing this thing way too early. Please spend more time on it, especially with the movement. A rule of thumb with movement and camera systems: Do not interrupt the flow. Intervene as little as possible. Let momentum do its work, and don't try to disrupt it. Otherwise everything becomes a clunky mess.

Wow, uh. I don't know how you did it, but you seriously screwed this up, badly. 'tis a shame, too, the screenshots are setting people up for a major dissapointment.

I think FoxBlitzz has summarized my view on this matter. I spent around five minutes trying to jump from one platform to the next, and I never once managed to do so. The control and camera were just that bad, even for an alpha. I mean, those two components should come FIRST, if anything. From the looks of it, you just wanted to slap SRB2 all over it and then coded the physics and movement as an afterthought. That just isn't right at all.

In short, stop working on making it look good, and start making it play good.

I could rant for hours about the endless hoards of graphical and gameplay errors, the incredibly shoddy collision detection system, or the fact that there is no real purpose of playing this when SRB2 already exists, but I think that point has been made already.

EDIT: Contradiction alert! Contradiction alert!

Dr.Pepper said:
-What will never happen in SRBG:
-Slopes and cork-screw loops

Dr.Pepper said:

Im sorry dude but this...is just bad. You like fly in that movement and the gravity...don't make me get started on it. So try to make this better.

First of all, this is a Preview Alpha. Fixing most of SRBG's major problems is going to take a long time, especially with the retarded way I've got the camera written. I released this only to give everyone at least some shred of evidence that it actually exists while I spend the next month rewriting much of SRBG's code.
Spazzo, I'm not placing graphics over physics, I just did the easy part(graphics) first, so that I could focus entirely on the physics! The whole intention of SRBG is to make it behave like SRB2, not just look like it...
I don't think I made it clear enough it's not intended to be a replacement for and never will be comparable to SRB2. I'm only recreating the parts of SRB2's engine that I need in GM7 for my own original game and work from there, since I'm too stupid C++-wise to edit SRB2's source code into something I can use, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this.
The physics are blatantly horrible and I know it, but there's nothing I can do to fix that until I can rewrite the camera and much of the player object, as the current code is way to shoddy to build on. I'm a bit busy right now back-porting the code to GM6 from GM7 since I have dual-booted my PC with XP now, so that will have to wait. (I prefer GM6 over GM7)
Spazzo said:
EDIT: Contradiction alert! Contradiction alert!
Spazzo, it's just a cheap floor drawn over some stairs, not actual slope-like terrain. >_<

Also, I must apologize for releasing so early with these problems, the next Alpha release(next month maybe) will be much more presentable.

That's just what I needed to see FoxBlitz, and I had no idea Act 2's level design was that bad. I was expecting the switch I put in there to be easier to spot, and didn't think the broken bridge would be that hard to avoid.
While working on SRBG, I wanted to make sure all of the graphics were taken care of before I got around to improving the physics, that way it'd be the only thing I'd have to worry about...then the urge to share what I already had got the better of me... *jumps off cliff*
I'm terribly sorry for releasing this too early with so many painfully obvious bugs. The next release will be a big improvement over the current one, and at least feature SRB2's default controls(WSAD and mouse controls) while work is being done on analog mode, which will be optional until all the quirks are worked out.
Btw, the weird bubble glitch in Act 2 is actually due to bad object placement, that can be fixed easily. The annoying sound on the spindash may take a lot longer to fix though. >_<

EDIT: Just got a bright idea of what to do about the stupid camera, might want to see how that goes before attempting to completely rewrite it. :P

Ben5421 said:
Knuckles has actually got running etc. sprites. ^^

He has?! Where from?? I hope it's not from Nitro's Knux, because I still think that Knuckles looks nowhere as good as I expect the official Knux to be like when he's finished, even though many other users may like that Knux.

Cheese/10.

I love your voice, Fox, I don't know why but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back