Version 2.1 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would have been funnier if the release got delayed yet again for (publicly) an undetermined amount of time and then made a surprise release on April 1st when no one was really expecting it. I'm glad it finally got released as it seems to fix several annoy bugs/shortcomings that were preventing me from completing my custom map.

Last edited:
The Emblem Hints thing is great. It's one of those things that makes this feel like a real, polished video game. Also, I don't think I'd ever have the patience to find some of these emblems if it wasn't there.

Will probably post more in the future as I think of things to say.

Emblem Hints? What are you talking about? I don't see something like that anywhere.

Thanks for giving 2.1.1 right after2.1.0! That made the playing easier.

My opinion abou this is:
GFZ: The emblems were easy but that didn't matter me. I collected most of them as Sonic.
You have removed the hole in GFZ1 start. Why? I hate that the player has just the one way. There wasn't that problem still in GFZ2. I like those new places and new areas really much. They're beautiful and adding grass was nice too. GFZ3 boss was great because it was harder than the previous one.

THZ: I liked all the new areas there except the knuckles path. It was a bit boring. Also, I don't get why did you have to block the way ti the secret place. It doesn't make it any harder to enter.
THZ2 was really positive surprise! The outlook was awesome and I liked to explore the areas there.
I liked the old THZ3 more. The glass was a stupid idea for me.

DSZ: Nothing really special changes. New routes out of the water were good. But I think DSZ1 water should rise higher. Now it's too much easy.

CEZ: I like the new textures and obstacles! The only thing I dislike is the library maze. I hate mazes.

ACZ: The downer path in tje end was a good idea. I'm probably gonna use it in time-attack.

RVZ: The new robots are fun! Are they made by Coat Rack? I still don't get why did you thash the lava flow way with invincibility...

ERZ: Nothing special in act 1. One passable wall fixed and a new end to right route.
ERZ3 was just awesome. Even if the speedrun part was a bit too easy for Sonic. The Metal Sonic still worked well.

ERCZ: I liked the original brack eggman more but this was still fun new experience.

That tunnel in GFZ1 that prevents the player from seeing thok barrier weirdness... it's so lazy. Yet so effective. I don't know what to think of it.
Actually, this is to help new players notice that there IS a passage in that direction. A lot of new players turned right at the fork there and jumped over to the spring leading up to the Attraction Shield, then got turned around and had no idea which direction to go. The tunnel is there to draw attention to the fact that there's another route to go.

I liked the old THZ3 more. The glass was a stupid idea for me. ... But I think DSZ1 water should rise higher. Now it's too much easy. ... Even if the speedrun part was a bit too easy for Sonic.

Plus a lot of other quotes I've noticed from people.

I don't think people realize that these things that are "easy" are actually freakishly hard for new players. Challenging experienced players is what the Super and Hyper levels are for.

Actually, this is to help new players notice that there IS a passage in that direction. A lot of new players turned right at the fork there and jumped over to the spring leading up to the Attraction Shield, then got turned around and had no idea which direction to go. The tunnel is there to draw attention to the fact that there's another route to go.

Ah, that makes sense. Let me revise my statement then:

That tunnel near the beginning of THZ1 that prevents the player from seeing thok barrier weirdness... it's so lazy. Yet so effective. I don't know what to think of it.

XD

(Unless that one also has a purpose that I haven't thought of.)

Direct download links updated.

If you have a mirror that you want added to the random mirror rotation, PM me.

For the first time in years, I played SRB1 Remake. And I've realized that CEZ2 Final Demo version was the true sequel to SRB1.

So many damn buttons!

Also, in the Mac version the game crashes after the first Super Level. The Mac version isn't officially supported, I know, so it'll probably never be fixed and I'll probably never be able to get the modern art emblem. I guess I'll just download a 100% save in a few weeks.

On the GFZIII boss:

It feels a lot more complete, but the only problem with it right now is that the chase function can still cause Eggman to bounce off of the floor. Once he does that it's just continuous aerial assaults from thereon.

You guys did it again! On last version, all levels were great, but ERZ was clearly above all on them on level design. Now all the acts have ERZ quality, so the game is really awesome!!

It´s fun how I get lost everytime there´s something new in a level. Surprised just with the little changes on GFZ (I loled hard when I saw the 1up after the bridge changed for a 10 rings monitor). Basically most outdated bits have been improved. THZ was literally AWESOME, it was the first big surprise on the game. THZ1 was a lot better, but I couldn´t believe what I was playing at THZ2... It´s a totally better level, and the old one wasn´t that bad at all.

DSZ was a lot better and less boring than in the previous release, and ECZ was even better than DSZ. The small changes on ACZ and RVZ are a bir improvement too, and ERZ is better too (although much more annoying thanks to those f***ing snails :@). ERZ3 is an awesome surprise, although I haven´t managed to finish it yet. Literally got crushed lots of times until I ran out of lives and continues (BTW, the new lives/continues system is a lot better). I´ll keep trying until I manage to beat ERZ3.

Special Stages are a lot more fun, although the ones I´ve played are too easy (1-4). I know how to play Nights, but I still think they are easy. I don´t care much though, as classic Sonic games had easy Special Stages except one or two brutal ones in each game. Hard Special Stages started to show up on Advance games. I´m not focusing on the emeralds yet (I didn´t even search for already known tokens in many levels), as I want to enjoy the main stages first.

Badniks and bosses are the biggest improvement of all I´ve seen, though. Badniks are really different from one zone to another, and all have different gimmicks (in fact, the only badnik I feel needs improvement is the egg lancer one on ECZ, too awesome but too easy to kill). Bosses are a lot better too. GFZ one was a nice surprise. DSZ trolled me a lot until I found out what I had to do... Really got annoyed and I lost like 6+ lives easily. ECZ one is awesome too, although I don´t get why there is a hanging chain under the boss when it´s clearly easier to use the other one on the stage... Haven´t seen everything on ERZ, but I like what I´ve seen too.

Lastly, the game looks a lot better. The sky on THZ for example is awesome, and there are lot of places which actually look awesome. I wanted to hard to try all the acts that I barely stopped for anything in each one, but you managed to make me stop quite some times just to enjoy the environment.

IMO, this improves the last release even more than the last improved the previous one. Awesome job! I´ll keep playing and replaying the game for quite some time, this game has an awesome level design. Thanks again for keeping on working on this game!!

Its the best day on SRB2 history.

cute-animals-white-cat-sunglasses-pics.jpg
EPIC!

Both Mac builds are broken. The self-contained one complains that it can't find the WADs, and so does the nodata version. If you download the nodata version and put the wads into the Resources folder, it does find them, but it crashes on startup with a bus error.

Do I need to start posting mac builds myself again?
Here is a working Mac build of 2.1.1 until Alam gets around to making a working one himself:
http://projects.sappharad.com/srb2_mac/srb2mac_2.1.1.zip

Note: This build only supports OS X 10.8 or higher, (Tested on 10.9) even though the 'official' ones go all the way back to 10.4. I currently lack the ability to build with support for systems that old, because the dev tools supporting that don't run on the latest OS. I could set up a VM with older tools, but hopefully this is an interim solution and the 'official' build is fixed.

Last edited:
I hope somewhere down the line there's an update to net play so downloads containing only a few KB's of content doesn't always stop halfway, and the servers don't get laggy and/or freeze for several seconds when someone connects or deconnects.

It really shows that I never made it to Egg Rock zone before today.

I just burned 20 lives (not counting one time pickups along the way) on ERZ2 and GG'd in the grinding gear room. ;_;

My GOD that level is a marathon of death.

...Welp, I guess I'll retry from the beginning. No way can I pull it off with 3 lives per continue. ;_;

Maybe I'll fine more special stage tokens this time around. I only found 6 total, and that fire special stage...Oh my GOD the difficulty spike! ._. It was horrifying! XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back