Portal Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

fickleheart

ms reflec beat stan
Controls:
Toss Ring - Shoot first portal
Toss Ring Normal OR Toss Flag - Shoot second portal

<Iceman404> RedEnchilada, http://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=743002&postcount=109 <--- beautiful
<CoatRack> ...do I smell a Portal mod? :v
<RedEnchilada> don't tempt me CoatRack
<RedEnchilada> I will fucking do it
<Blade> do it
<Metalhead7> Do it
<CoatRack> I TEMPT THEE
<CoatRack> RED
<RedEnchilada> I'm going to fucking do it
* Metalhead7 spams "do it" at RedEnchilada
<RedEnchilada> here we fucking go portal robo blast 2
i did it

You'll know what to expect if you played either Portal game at all. Guns that fire portals you can walk through. Currently other things can't go through them; I might add that in a second revision. Recommended to play in first-person. The cvar "showportalmarkers" can be toggled off to disable the markers that show your portals' locations through walls.

Known issues:

• If you shoot a portal close to a corner, on a thin thok barrier (like GFZ1's), or on a thin FOF, it may get slightly glitchy and you might die upon teleporting. This can be fixed with some rudimentary portal bumping... maybe when I'm in the mood.
  • Near corners with other linedefs, wall portals may spawn at the wrong angle. Can be fixed with height checking, but the spawning mechanics for wall portals is already slow (I couldn't find a function to get linedefs in a particular sector, so I iterate through every single linedef in the level to try to find the one to spawn on.)
  • The game becomes very laggy in ERZ1 once a portal is spawned. I have no idea what causes this. (It's happened since before I added any thinker to the portals themselves.)
Screenshots show outdated sprites.

Attachments

• srb20007.png
    srb20007.png
    21 KB · Views: 3,130
  • srb20021.gif
    srb20021.gif
    389 KB · Views: 3,587
  • srb20028.gif
    srb20028.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,665
  • portal.zip
    101.4 KB · Views: 3,129
Last edited:
WHAT.
SOMEONE FINALLY DID IT.
Welp, there goes the rest of my day.
If anyone needs me I'll be messing around with this wad.

Show Your Support said:
The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced

:D

:D! I'll credit you. Amazing work with this. Love portal, love Sonic, love em' both together.

This mod is absolutely fucking incredible. I'm going to try it in multiplayer today since I missed the test.

srb20009.gif

EDIT: It's all fun and games until the cake ends up being a lie.
<Zarro> had to afk wanted to see nights mode with portals
WARNING: ./portal.wad|LUA_CAKE:281: accessed mobj_t doesn't exist anymore, please check 'valid' before using mobj_t.
Hook removed.
<Iceman404> god damnit
<Iceman404> it happened
<Majro> LUA_CAKE

All of a sudden, every portal we tried to create with Portal A stopped working. They just ended up flying as slow non-specific-player (green) colored balls that did nothing but stick to walls in that same state. Portal B still worked fine though.

Last edited:
In a netgame we were sometime getting this error which stopped firing of 1 portal from working for everyone and instead just fired slow green balls that didn't disappear.

WARNING: ./WADs/Misc/portal.wad|LUA_CAKE:281: accessed mobj_t doesn't exist anymore, please check 'valid' before using mobj_t.

All of a sudden, every portal we tried to create with Portal A stopped working. They just ended up flying as slow non-specific-player (green) colored balls that did nothing but stick to walls in that same state. Portal B still worked fine though.

Exact same situation here. Then everyone got carried away...

Moderator Notice:
Snip - NSFW images here, don't do this again

Last edited by a moderator:
9i0ZADN.gif

zYUlAsx.gif

This thing is amazing. Though it's a little disappointing you can't freefall, I can see why it wouldn't work with SRB2's limitations. This kinda stuff is what made me so excited for 2.1; Lua allows so many things to be done and it can only get better.

I actually got the issue in Single Player as well, somehow. Though it's a lot rarer of course.

New version is out. Redownload from the OP.

• Portals should be slightly less likely to kill you (in particular, instances such as this were fixed, but be cautious of where you place them anyway)
  • This has been fixed (I hope)
  • HUD marker positions are slightly more accurate in 2D mode (let's disregard that they're completely useless in that situation)
  • New portal sprites by Iceman404

Last edited:
I have been waiting for this mod for over six years. It has been a total thrill to mess with this for hours.

Oh God yes! This is freaking brilliant!

2lmnql0.jpg

[Standing on top of the elevator if someone didn't guess right.]

Terribly sorry about the minor update but this fixes an issue that might occur if portal 2 is fired and crash the whole firing mechanism. Redownload in the OP as usual.

I'm glad this thread's popular enough that I'm not double-posting with all these updates...

Update, redownload, blah blah. Fixes a few script crashes we found in netgames. Also fixes a glitch dogjedi found that allows players to activate springs remotely by firing portals at them.

This wad is the most entertaining thing, I love it so much. It's gotta be one of the most interesting wads I've ever seen.

Also, it makes capturing the flag a breeze:
srb20004.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back