Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna go ahead and drop these off here:

Typhoon Jungle, SP map currently in progress. These screenshots are not final.

srb20006.png
This isn't seeing the light of day yet, hope you weren't looking forward to it.

You know that SUPER SEKRIT COLLAB we always talk about in 'fun?

We finished it, I think. I went ahead and submitted it, anyway. I was going to make an awesome easter egg for it, but I lost motivation to finish that, so maybe whatever post-OLDC update comes out will have it.

I have discussed this in 'fun, but never publicly mentioned it. Well, now I am.

For the first time since Katmint submitted Colossal Castle, Zoom Ship, Cold Sea, and Sparkling Abyss, the OLDC is going to feature an author who enters every single division at once! Guess who it is...

And I've already submitted everything, so there is zero chance I'm gonna cancel it.

And just like with Katmint, the bulk of these entries had better been scrapped.

Really? Really? I wouldn't expect to see you of all people saying something like that, Spiritcrusher.

The point of this contest is not to get nice collections of awesome levels, but to serve as a place for level designers to submit their works, and receive advice and suggestions. It acts as an opportunity for builders to interact with each other, have fun with each others creations, and help each other out. There is no logical reason to hold back entries just because they may not be up to par with the top ranking creations.

I won't be entering the upcoming contest. In fact I might not enter one until next year. Or maybe the November/December contest if I have time to.

Really? Really? I wouldn't expect to see you of all people saying something like that, Spiritcrusher.

The point of this contest is not to get nice collections of awesome levels, but to serve as a place for level designers to submit their works, and receive advice and suggestions. It acts as an opportunity for builders to interact with each other, have fun with each others creations, and help each other out. There is no logical reason to hold back entries just because they may not be up to par with the top ranking creations.
[devil's advocate]He has seen my levels. You haven't.[/devil's advocate]

But that aside, I agree with you. Some of these levels aren't my best work, but I made them because I was bored after finishing my primary OLDC stuff and wanted to experiment with a couple of themes. I've made 'em, I might as well submit 'em. Besides, I can assure all of you that none of this stuff is "Canyon CTF" bad. The ideas I had that were that bad--and if you've heard me on 'fun, you know which ones I'm talking about--are most definitely not going to see the light of day, ever.

Last edited:
I wasn't entirely serious about that. Of course it's better to have them in the OLDC than not to have them. Just be warned: His three multiplayer maps are very insubstantial IMO. Not much would have been lost if he hadn't made them.

Fair enough, I thought you were serious. I just meant that if Fawfulfan actually tried with these levels, and didn't make them just to say he could enter every division, he should do so. Cause if honest attempts of his suck, he needs the criticism all the more, eh? ;)

Well, at the very least, I spent a great deal of time on all three multiplayer levels (and even more on the SP one, but never mind). Tons of effort went into polishing them. But there are all kinds of effort, some important, some insubstantial, and you might personally think that the particular things I chose to focus on were a waste of time.

You might have spent time on small things such as texturing improvements and adding tons of useless scenery, but the initial layouts were made very quickly, and it shows. I can hardly call any of them a serious attempt at a good map.

Suddenly, a wild coat enters in a level into the 1p division! No screenshots though, it is very late here. :<

For once in... ever, a map I actually showed here (well, kinda) has actually been finished and entered in the OLDC! Anyone who's been in this topic a lot will remember my previous unfinished entries, and may be surprised at how I actually finished something for once! This is easily my most well put together entry yet, tweaked day after day, slowly evolving into what I have created for you tonight. Good luck to the competitors, as they'll really need it this time!

...No, I'm not going to post screens or info; I don't want to spoil it for those out of #srb2fun. :3
'Sides, you'll get it later tonight anyway.

I'm spending at least part of the day today meticulously scrutinizing my SP entry, making last-minute adjustments. By the time judging begins, I firmly believe that I will have put in as much effort as possible.

As a reminder, the deadline for submissions is in a little over two hours. Don't be late and get your entry dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back