[Open Assets] Sonic Boom ROM Hack Moveset

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixel-Voxel

i don't remember this
Exactly what you'd expect if you played it. Based on the popular Sonic the Hedgehog 2 hack Sonic Boom. Adds six new abilities to Sonic and gives him a double jump.

Flying Kick - Custom 1 in midair: At the cost of five rings, sends Sonic flying forward. Not the most useful when running, but can be great after hitting enemies, monitors, and springs.

Diagonal Dash - Custom 2 in midair: At the cost of two rings, sends Sonic hurtling diagonally. Good for landings after hitting springs and such.

Downward Dive - Spin in midair: At the cost of one ring, sends Sonic straight down and cancels his momentum. Good for speeding up falls and bouncing off things.

Speed Limiter - Hold Custom 1 on the ground: Exactly what it says. Sonic's speed is halved, allowing you to get better footing if you find yourself sliding around a lot.

Air Roll - Spin in midair while not in a ball: Generic, yet useful. Curl up into a ball to prevent taking damage from enemies when landing on them.

Super Peelout - Hold Custom 3 on the ground while standing still: The ever popular Sonic CD method of speeding up. Charges faster than the spindash, yet doesn't last nearly as long.

Version 1.3
Fixed the bug where the lua script would crash in any FPS gametype due to starting out as a spectator.

Version 1.2
Fixed a bug where the speed limiter wouldn't do anything at all.

Version 1.1
Added Super Peelout, increased kick and dash speeds, made it so the kick forces you into slide/hurt frames.

Attachments

• Flying Kick.gif
    Flying Kick.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,006
  • Diagonal Dash.gif
    Diagonal Dash.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,803
  • Downward Dive.gif
    Downward Dive.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,125
  • Super Peelout.gif
    Super Peelout.gif
    764.2 KB · Views: 2,578
  • Boom.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,003
Last edited:
Alright, so i played around with this for awhile.

(Flying Kick) This ability seems redundant, yet it proves its use. It brings Sonic to top speed like it should and isn't overpowered like a speed thok would be in Race Gametypes.

(Diagonal Dash) The Diagonal Dash doesn't seem to move forward enough. it seems really slow. In the ROM hack, it brought sonic to top speed whereas here, it just slightly moves you forward. Please, make it faster. BUG: (I believe i see the falling frames for a split second when preforming this ability.)

(Downward Dive) This seems to be your average "stomp". It reminds me of Greeneyes' stomp ability but here, it grinds you to a halt which i prefer. It makes it a lot easier for stopping on a dime in case you almost miss a platform.

(Speed Limiter) To Be honest, i still have yet to find a place i need to use this. it is an interesting idea that can be used, but i myself just haven't found that use.

(Air Roll) OK, its abilities like this that make me wish every character could have them. This ability is so useful and yet, so simple. combined with the double jump makes accidentally walking off of a platform no problem. Just Air Roll and jump back up.

(Suggestions) Where is the Super Peelout? If i recall correctly, he had a Super Peelout in Sonic Boom. It could easily be mapped to custom button 3.

I hope you take all this into consideration and make the necessary changes to make this yet another great move set incorporated into SRB2.

OK let's see... for the dash (which I'm sick of typing the name for), I sort of went under the impression that most people would use it for fighting enemies (since you already have the kick for reaching top speed) and the speed reflects on that. I'll fix it. Going into the fall frames isn't actually a bug. I wanted the entire thing to be in fall frames, but I didn't get that to work properly and I kind of liked how it looked with the falling going straight into spinning, so I left it at that.

The dive in the ROM hack actually let you move while it was going down (which isn't what I'd call useful considering the speed it goes at) and I changed it to be sort of a breaking feature. I'm glad that works well enough.

I included the speed limiter just because it was part of the moveset. I didn't actually expect anyone to get much use out of it. Maybe someone who doesn't like Sonic's speed when they're trying to do platforming?

The peelout wasn't there because... I didn't know he had that. I got it off the Sonic Retro page and that didn't list the peelout as an ability, so I played through not knowing that was a feature. It'd be redundant having 3 (4 once I increase the dash speed) abilities that all bring you to top speed, but it's still more useful than the walk.

Thank you for taking the time to play with this though.

I think one more thing could make this wad actually point itself out. A limited ring loss feature. In the hack, when ever Sonic got hit, he lost 50 rings (not to say you could ever catch those rings while battling King Orb). For starters, this could be the first time in SRB2 history where ring loss as a punishment isn't too much of one.

These abilities are really awesome. I use this a lot now! My only problem is... the flying kick.

It just looks like a fast thok at the cost of 5 rings... I think it'd be awesome if he changed sprites when you use the ability. For example, using the hurt sprites for them, like some other Wads use those sprites for sliding. I mean, it would look really neat to LITERATLY kick players :P

The hurt sprites? I honestly think that the tripping sprites (if positioned correctly) would be a fairer kick sprite.

how would one position these sprites? i dont think the game supports that in anyway.

Last edited:
Now that it's been updated, I feel like giving out a history lesson.

GargantuanDangerousFrogmouth.gif

Also, I wouldn't recommend using Super Sonic with this script due to the float interfering with the dive. Anyway, enjoy.

The update broke the speed limiter, it wont work. i looked into the script and it seems that the peelout you added (which seems strange) conflict with the speed limiter script.

The update broke the speed limiter, it wont work. i looked into the script and it seems that the peelout you added (which seems strange) conflict with the speed limiter script.

Oh, see I didn't take into account that the check for if you're not holding Custom 3 ran all the time and since it sets your speed back to normal, it overrides the speed limiter. Fixed now.

Okay, now you can actually use the thing online in Match, CTF, and the rest. Thank you for pointing that out, Duon. Maybe I should actually test my script more.

I honestly thought that it was intentional so that players could still play as sonic in match... Good thing i did point that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back