New Nintendo HD Console "Wii U"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also hear rumor that Sony won't make any more playstations, or games for the ps3, but i`m not completely certain.

What a silly rumor. True that Sony is currently having difficulties with its online services, but it's not like it's stopping everything. There's still plenty of good software coming to that system.

As a matter of fact, Sony might be taught a lesson: "Do not release uncomplete games only for releasing updates and downloadable stuff", they have been pretty damn lazy lateley, I really hope they start getting their crap straight now that the network is down.

Going back to the topic, I'll wait for a new PS system to come out before buying this "Project Cafe", ever since the Wii was released, I've been pretty doubtful about Nintendo's effort on making GOOD consoles. (The Wii, is inferior to both PS3 and the 360 on ALL aspects, the only good things are the games, wich are not even my style).

I'm going to get slammed for this, but I'll say again: I'm really not very interested in new game consoles, period. Wake me up when the video game industry has managed to get over the whole stupid "realistic human faces are better than decent gameplay" ideology.

Nintendo gains points for being slightly different. Instead, their motto is "bizarre and unwelcome controller gimmicks are better than decent gameplay... then after one year of the console being on market, shift focus to making decent games, period." However, these days they fail at accumulating a decent game library... then again, so do the other console makers.

Regarding hardware specs: My current computer system uses nVidia's equivalent of the R700. Honestly, GPUs have gotten so powerful now that if you need more graphical muscle than an R700-level GPU, You're Doing it Wrong(TM). Please shift your engineering efforts and workforce away from detailing pimples on the faces of your game characters and back to focusing on real gameplay. Same goes for Nintendo, except replace "detailing pimples on the faces of your game characters" with "adding screens to controllers."

The problem here is that Nintendo feels the need to create a new console, with new gimmicks, so it can release Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time again under different names :V (Not that thats a bad thing I guess, but dammit where's my majoras mask remake!)

Nintendo gains points for being slightly different. Instead, their motto is "bizarre and unwelcome controller gimmicks are better than decent gameplay... then after one year of the console being on market, shift focus to making decent games, period." However, these days they fail at accumulating a decent game library... then again, so do the other console makers.

This is why I never get a console the moment its released. It is much harder for the first batch of games to get it right than later ones. Its not until after about a year that they can start to understand how the audience has responded to the console and give them what they need. I'm holding out for a few must-buys before I get the 3DS, despite how exciting it is.

An example from a third party developer starting to show a little willingness to do what works instead of what's cool is "Deadly Creatures" which was an attempt to do a game for the Wii that had solid gameplay and at one point was delayed for the purpose of doing away with most of the motion controls to make it feel more natural. I can't say whether it paid off or not, I couldn't support their efforts because I was busy saving up for Ninty's first party games.

You say that they haven't built up a decent games library, I'm frankly not sure where you find the money or the time to play that many games. I have unfinished games, and games that I have finished but would like to come back to, on the Wii... not to mention all the games that I wanted to play but couldn't afford, or anything on the VC. On Steam, where things are a little more inexpensive and there's a wider selection, I have a backlog about a dozen games, to which I will soon add another game once I've got Portal 2.

--

I suppose its around the time they'd start working on a new console, but I can't afford it, and probably wouldn't get it anyway until after its been around for a while. Basically, until Nintendo announces anything officially, this is just fuel for more debates as to which video games producer does their job best.
I can pick out at least half a dozen posts in this topic slanted one way or the other in the console wars... including mine. However, at some point the console wars start to get as tired and pathetic as debates about Sonic the Hedgehog. So what if my tastes are aligned with one developer over another? I shouldn't have to attack other developers in order to defend my opinion.

Apparently theres another rumor Ive heard that the wii is going to be discontinued. I wasn't very surprised because since the 3DS came out the wii got even less popular than it already its. I really hope nintendo doesn't screw this new HD console up like they did with the wii. Its still not all about the console itself, but the games that come out for it. Like for most systems graphics and realism count more to them than the actual gameplay, and the controls. Playing games on the PC gives better control but you have to have a freakishly fast computer just to run them, and my old windows XP can`t even handle a downloadable game from the internet. Lets just hope nintendo improves on their mistakes, as well as having something which all other consoles lack thats actually good.

Apparently theres another rumor Ive heard that the wii is going to be discontinued.
Bullshit. The Wii will not be discontinued until Project Cafe has been on store shelves for a meaningful amount of time, just as it always has been for every console succession scenario in the history of everything ever. To do otherwise would leave Nintendo without a major home console on the market, which, for a company that does nothing BUT video games, is corporate suicide.

Well we all know the wii is eventually going to be discontinued. It happens to all game systems who lose their spotlight. I never said when it would happen, but its gonna happen sometime in the future.

If they didn't make the Wii with the pointer solely in mind, the nunchuck + wii mote would actually fit and work rather perfectly.

They're dropping the ball completely on the nunchuck though, which isn't a big problem.

Then what was the point in posting that it was a rumor? Everyone knows that consoles eventually die.

Because I was told it was a rumor that is would happen soon which means usually a month or two later in my book.

Trentdude2, Next time there is a rumor could you post the source as well?

I was told from a friend. He knows about stuff like this since all he does is search the internet for info about games and consoles. He actually told me about the nintendo HD console before this topic even showed up in the forums so I usually think he is about only 70% right when it comes to things like this. I guess the rumor thing is getting kinda old now though.

Last edited:
I was told from a friend. He knows about stuff like this since all he does is search the internet for info about games and consoles.

I'd hate to see where he gets his information if he's telling you such bullshit like that. The Wii's been declining a bit, yes, but there is no way that it is completely done.

I'd hate to see where he gets his information if he's telling you such bullshit like that.

Mostly from gamefaqs but he does have others that I don't really know or care about. At least hes not just getting from some random dude standing in a street corner......or is he. Oh well thats just for him to worry about.

New Console name of Wii U

Launches: 2012
Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
New Controller: The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.
Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller™, Classic Controller Pro™ and Wii Balance Board™.
Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.
Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.
(Taken from the Nintendo E3 2011 Press Release)
Games announced: Smash Brothers, Battlefield 3, Batman: Arkham City, Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon Online, Darksiders II, Dirt, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Metro: Last Night, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden 3, FIFA 12, Madden 12, Driver, Lego City Stories
Photos:
Console + controller: [1] http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/files/2011/06/new-nintendo-wii-e3.png
Console: [2] http://i.imgur.com/eaN3V.jpg
Video:
E3 Tech Demo: [3] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF4rInTqOLI (Stream quality)
Source

Updating name of topic now.

Seriously though, "Wii U"? Can these names be any more unusual?

Edit: O wait... I can't change the topic name. '-'

Edit2: Well, it looks like someone changed it anyways. Thank you whoever changed the topic title. '______'

Last edited:
Well at least Nintendo is putting thought into their name unlike Sony. What I don't like though is the left buttons. I think they should be switched and the fact that we still have to use a stylus.

I hate the analog stick. The length of the controller looks too wide. I wonder if games analog stick dependant will have you turn the controller upside down so that the sticks are lower, towards you.

http://press.nintendo.com/E32011/

Username: E32011
Password: nintendo

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back