Suggestions

No, it wouldn't. OBJECTPLACE is really only used for testing levels and creating custom WRITETHINGS lumps as far as I know. Using it in multiplayer would break gameplay.

Last edited:
Hmm, the idea of DEVMODE and objectplace in multiplayer reminds me kinda of Gmod. Interesting.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

No, it wouldn't. OBJECTPLACE is really only used for testing levels and creating custom WRITETHINGS lumps as far as I know. Using it in multiplayer would really break gameplay.

Yeah but it would be fun in non-serious co-op games where you just want to screw around.

After asking around in #srb2fun, I finally find out how the mysterious Fan Particle Generators actually work. (No, the wiki knows nothing of this at all >_>)
#srb2fun said:
[22:11] <MonsterIestyn> Someone help me figure out what on earth the angle does to get these objects?
[22:12] <MonsterIestyn> Adding? Dividing? Subtracting?
[22:14] <MonsterIestyn> Any idea how the Angles of these Fan Particle Generators work? :S
[22:14] <MonsterIestyn> I mean, how does one figure out how to choose an object?
[22:16] <@Oogaland> MonsterIestyn: Take the remainder when dividing by 16 and add it to MT_PARTICLE (which is 191).
[22:17] <MonsterIestyn> ...that's some odd system of selecting object numbers for the Fan Particle Generators
[22:17] <@Oogaland> And bits 4..16 determine the speed.
[22:17] <@Oogaland> 4..15, I mean.
[22:19] <@Oogaland> MonsterIestyn: Whoops, make that bits 12..15.
[22:19] <MonsterIestyn> ...MT_PARTICLE is 189
[22:20] <@Oogaland> Ah. I was looking at private trunk. Thing numbers must have changed.
[22:20] <@Oogaland> Which seems odd...
[22:20] <@Oogaland> Indeed, thing numbers have changed.
[22:21] <MonsterIestyn> Well, this remainder system seems a bit odd to use for figuring out object numbers anyway
[22:21] <MonsterIestyn> Any way to get it to use a simpler system?
[22:21] <@Oogaland> It's not hard. There are only 16 possible objects you can spawn.
[22:21] <MonsterIestyn> ...great
[22:21] <@Oogaland> From MT_PARTICLE to MT_PARTICLE + 15.
[22:22] <RoyKirbs> So no particles of crawlas.
[22:22] <MonsterIestyn> What about negative angles?
[22:22] <@Oogaland> Nope, you get the same result.
[22:23] <MonsterIestyn> ...oh.
[22:23] <@Oogaland> It reads the lower four bits.
[22:23] <@Oogaland> Which gives you a number between 0 and 15.
[22:23] <MonsterIestyn> ...Well, this is going to take a while to get the hang of
[22:31] <MonsterIestyn> ...angle 16384 (4 x 4096) = a column of Particles. :/
[22:34] <MonsterIestyn> Angle 12228 (3 x 4096) = ...Chaos Emeralds?
[22:34] <MonsterIestyn> ...oh
[22:34] <MonsterIestyn> It should be 12288. :x
[22:35] <MonsterIestyn> ...These particles don't seem to do anything on their own unless they have an angle of 16384.
[22:36] <MonsterIestyn> I'm a bit disappointed I can choose only one of the 16 objects after MT_Particle to spawn. :<
[22:36] <MonsterIestyn> *15
[22:37] <MonsterIestyn> That means other than MT_PARTICLE, the objects can only be between MT_PARTICLEGEN and A_WATERH
[22:37] <MonsterIestyn> That means all the water sounds are choosable
[22:38] <MonsterIestyn> That means the object can spawn MORE OF ITSELF AS WELL
[22:38] <MonsterIestyn> What an awful spawn range to have
[22:39] <MonsterIestyn> Either Fan Particles, Fan Particle Generators, Point/Drowning/Tag/CTF Markers, Intangle markers, or any of the 8 water sounds
[22:40] <MonsterIestyn> :<
[22:43] <MonsterIestyn> That, and I can't seem to get them to move like in ERZ2
[22:44] <MonsterIestyn> Fan Sectors don't make the particles rise, despite what the wiki says
[22:48] <MonsterIestyn> ...and looking at ERZ2's fan section in SRB2DB, the Fan Particle Generators aren't even Fan Particle Generator Map Things. :x
[22:48] <MonsterIestyn> Nor any known Map Thing numbers
[22:48] <MonsterIestyn> ...these Generators are clearly not as simple to use as they should be. :S
[22:50] <MonsterIestyn> Clearly not many people know how these Generators even work, seeing how little info the Wiki gives on them
[22:50] <MonsterIestyn> :/
[22:50] <MonsterIestyn> http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Fan_Particle_Generator
[22:50] <Whackjood> You mean the fan particles near the start of ERZ2?
[22:50] <MonsterIestyn> Yeah
[22:50] <MonsterIestyn> It's no wonder I've never seen anyone use them in custom maps
[22:51] <Whackjood> heh, yeah. I recall Nev3r saying he had no idea how those fans work. He just said that he followed some instructions he was given on how to get them working
[22:51] <MonsterIestyn> Good grief
[22:51] <MonsterIestyn> Obviously these Fan Particle Generators should be redesigned or something
[22:52] <MonsterIestyn> Perhaps using Linedefs instead of Angles?
[22:52] <MonsterIestyn> The Rock Spawners use Linedefs, after all
In short, I think the Fan Particle Generators desperately need to use linedefs instead of angles for setting speeds/object no.s spawned/etc, or at least some easier system to use than we have now. The current system doesn't even provide a decent range of objects spawnable by it. >=(

Last edited:
Linedef Type 7 also working in FOFs

The Sector Flat Alignment, besides being a tad buggy, seems to work only with lowest floors and highest ceilings, but not with FOFs.

I've just tested Linedef 7 in a non-orthogonal bridge; I'd like to align its flats with the bridge but the linedef fails at doing it.

Linedef Type 7 also working in FOFs

The Sector Flat Alignment, besides being a tad buggy, seems to work only with lowest floors and highest ceilings, but not with FOFs.

I've just tested Linedef 7 in a non-orthogonal bridge; I'd like to align its flats with the bridge but the linedef fails at doing it.

What? Last time I remember, it works on FOFs. I used it to create a rotated box in one of the maps I'm making.

That can easily be down with a clever linedef setup. In fact, I believe there was a tutorial on the SRB2Wiki about a similar gimmick, though I don't remember its name.

I think this has been suggested before, but it might not be suggested in this way.

Rename the PLAYxnxn lumps to PLxxnxxn (x would be the letters and n would be the numbers) so we can allow more frames and not have to deal with the lower case lump issues.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

It could work like the PLAxnAxn would be all the running frames, PLBxnBxn would be spinning frames and so on.

(sorry for the double post, I still cannot figure how to enable my profile to edit posts)

The sad story is that "PLAY" or "PL" is completely irrelevant and the game doesn't care about what's there at all, it's only used to differentiate between lumps in a single wad. I think it was JTE that once had animations named like A001, A002, A003, where the number is the frame ID, so it would go A001A1, A001A2A8, A001A3A7, A001A4A6, A001A5, A002A1, and so on.

So people can screw around using objectplace?

Not sure what the downside is here-- just make it so DEVMODE only works in Casual games, and make it so the host is the only one who can turn it on and off.

IIRC, there WAS Objectplace in earlier versions under a super secret code, but if I also recall, it was insanely buggy.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back