Official Level Design Contest Voting: July/August 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epic placement of the Rail Ring, Kuja. But your lag, I mean map still gets a GAMEMISS of over 40%. And no, I am not expecting you to rate my map a 10.

EDIT: I finally lol'd at Torgo's map when I looked at it in SRB2DB.
EDIT 2: I lol'd also at HaiFF in SRB2DB. I think the Thing placement was quite humorous. If only I could get in a netgame...

It's okay. I demand a truly epic 0 from each and every person who votes in the match division!

Don't disappoint me. I want nothing less than complete and utter failiure. :D

Stoney Mountain CTF

It is a shame that my level wasn't able to make it to this contest. It is a shame that I haven't received any notifications regarding this unexpected predicament. I have e-mailed the map to the right address three days before the contest's deadline. Faulty technical issues might be the problem. Also could've been this: the problem may be due to small commands in the level header that caused the level to be disqualified, but did anyone mention anything about the level's existence? Nope.

For those who are interested in this level, here is the link: http://stjrsilver.sepwich.com/123_Runite/mb/viewtopic.php?t=19. It seems that this contest, which I was hoping for to be the first contest I'm joining, wasn't really the time for me. All that I've prepared for this contest, all the work, will just let the level go into the MOD. Well, I'm glad I had decent beta testers, so I knew what I had to fix. Next contest, I hope, would turn out much better for me, at the least. But due to reasons of fulfilling my school work, I really doubt that would happen.

Now, as for you guys who are entered in the contest, good luck!

EDIT: Link to Stoney Mountain CTF given above, or here: http://stjrsilver.sepwich.com/123_Runite/mb/viewtopic.php?t=19

I'm too tired to review right now (11:30pm as of this post) but here are my honest opinions so far.

Scrap Brain Zone would have done better without the S in the name. It combined two generally bad things. Mazes and 2D mode. The level was also highly undetailed, repetive, bland and easy but still annoying.

I only played through Tails' path in Prison Poison Zone, and I reckon it was a nice addition to the level. The huge wall after the bouncing arrow at the start was too high, but that doesn't really matter. Surprisingly, this is one of the best implementations of the THZ turret that I've ever seen, so when I get around to reviewing properly you'll probably get an extra point for that.

When it comes to visuals, I would like to say that PPZ could have done with transparent water used consistently throughout the map. Some parts were transparent and others weren't, and that was kind of annoying because I didn't know what to expect below there.

Haven't played that waterfall one yet or any of the multiplayer maps. Screw y'all.

I sort of expected the low rateings for Scrap Brain. No Glaber syndrome level is complete without them.

Here are my reviews for the Single Player levels:

Waterfall Town Zone: 3/10
I'm sorry, but this level shouldn't even have been submitted. It probably would have been best to send it to Editing for feedback, or even just scrapped. It was just a big box with a few sparsely placed enemies and a little scenery. It was getting a little interesting at the part with the big buildings, but the level abruptly ended there, and I didn't think the design made much sense. Possibly the only good things about the level were that it was functional and had no glitches. It didn't feel as though there was much inspiration or work behind the level. It almost felt as if Superusario just slapped it together at the last minute just so he'd have something to enter into the contest. You've done some great things, Superusario, but let's just leave this one off your list of accomplishments.

Poison Palace Zone: 6/10
This level had some good scenery and effects, but gameplay was sort of confusing. Original design, though.

Scrap Brain Zone: 10/10
A rare work of genius! It's probably one of the best 2d levels to come out in a very long time. The custom additions were very nicely added--cool looking, but not so different as to be off-putting, and the length and setup were excellent. This could have turned out really boring, and probably would have done if anyone else had tried it, but you somehow managed to make a level with few enemies or obstacles a unique experience. I think every level maker, no matter what their experience, could learn a little something from looking at this map, and hope to see it win the contest. Wonderful work!!!

I don't think 10/10 goes to Glaber's Scrap Brain at all. It's nowhere near that good. I think it should deserve something like 1/10, because it's boring, has hardly any enemies, short and easy to beat. I don't like the fact that it's a maze either, despite the fact that it was easy. It also had a rubbish and linear level design, nothing like the original Genesis Scrap Brain I know of. One of the only good things about this level is the music.

This level is so bad, I can't decide if it's worse than Waterfall Town or not, and that level wasn't so good either, yet there are still good points about that one too.

And Verifiaman, there used to be a page on Glaber Syndrome on the SRB2 Wiki before 2 months of edits were lost for a while, including the Glaber Syndrome page. Hopefully the page should be back soon along with the other missing edits.

This Scrap Brain was from the Game Gear/Master System version, not the Genesis one.

Oh. Thanks for telling me that. I don't know what the Game Gear/Master System Scrap Brain looks like yet, but I'm sure your Scrap Brain isn't like that one either.

About Scrap Brain Zone, I personally think that it was pretty innovative, and somehow had something most boring old mazes don't. I also think that if someone tried duplicating that level, it would come out really awful, but that this one somehow worked. That's just my opinion though.

OK, so your level uses the same level design as the original Game Gear/Master System Scrap Brain, but that doesn't save it from the fact that there are almost no interesting points about it in my opinion. You should have added hazards and enemies in it to make it more interesting.

And what's your problem with Rule 4? Just get used to it. It does us good by stopping us from entering lots of maps into the same section, like you did one time in one of the previous OLDCs.

Waterfall Town Zone by Superusuario: 2/10
Very flat and bland. Had a very lazy layout to the whole level. There was huge open spaces, a lot of copy-pasted houses and sectors in general. The place didn't even feel like it was waterfall themed. I give you a point for having a working thok barrier, but that's about it. Better luck next time.

Poison Palace Zone by SonicMaster: 5/10
I was somewhat disappointed with this level. It felt like most all the gimmicks were either from the 1.1 video, or from other previous contest levels I've played. Now, this is a bit irrelevant, but I like it when levels have a solid theme. I like to visualize myself walking through the place and seeing how it looks in terms of fitting what I was working for. I dunno, if I was walking through this place, my first feeling would probably not be "Poison Palace".

Scrap Brain Zone by Glaber: 3/10
I liked the gimmicks you were using, but I just didn't enjoy the level. I don't really like 2-D mode, and I don't really like mazes, so...yea.

Monster Iestyn said:
And what's your problem with Rule 4?
First off the timing of the new rule. The contest before when the rule was added was not like the ones where either I or Sonicmaster submitted alot of levels. Because of this it looks like the rule came out of no where

second, FF not being able to show that he could enforce the current rules before adding the new one. In the 3 contests before the one where New 4 was added, Current rule 3 was broken a total of 4 times leaving it up to the constants to handel it. The only repercussions I've seen are documented on the Wiki.

Third, I know a loop hole to this rule.

Waterfall Town Zone, Act 1 1/10

First off, it's too open and bland. The waterfall are interesting, but they don't serve any purpose whatsoever. At the part with the elevators, if you go up but fall off, there's no way to get back up if you're Sonic, forcing you to start over. Plus, if you're standing on the very edge of the platform, you get crushed. Also, there's only about 15-20 rings and very few, sloppily placed enemies.

Poison Palace Zone 9/10
This was very good. It's not all platforming, it has a few twists and gimmicks to make it interesting, and it's scenic enough to be interesting, but not lagging (at least to me). The only real gripe that I have is that it's a bit long, and some of the gimmicks repeat itself, but other than that, great job.

Scrap Brain Zone Act 3 2/10
So the entire level is going through a bland and featureless factory while finding a path through one- or two-way doors? That's neat the first few times, but it gets boring fast.

Waterfall Town Zone, Act 1 by Superusuario - 1/10
No checkpoints, no rings, and way too open. I died on the part with the large towers because the elevator to the top of the tower was too small, and too fast.

Poison Palace Zone by SonicMaster - 7/10
This one was fun. The only part I didn't like was the water slide, sometimes I couldn't jump, wait till 1.1 to put them in a level. What I think you could work on is the textures. It's called Poison Palace, so why are there plants growing on the DSZ texture? Wouldn't they be dead already?

Scrap Brain Zone, Act 3 by Glaber - 2/10
It was the same through all of the level. Just a big 2D maze from a different Sonic game. Nothing but doors and springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back