Bud (The Sunflower?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapheros

Okay, so the recently tempbanned Blonic has given me a "sunflower.wad" It was basically a GFZ flower with a face, and cartoony sounds. But I felt that wasn't going to be his wad, I've decided to sprout from the ground up (plant joke ftw!) and made Bud! (I don't know a good title for it... or a good gender...)

6hks2b.png

Honestly I want the opinions on the bud for now, because I don't know how I did. I DO know the following issues:

No shading: You give me a color table to work with and we'll talk.
No Color Contrast: Same as Above
No Anti-alias: I still need to understand that first.

The sprite might look decent to me, but i'm being very pessimistic about the results. All I'm looking for a opinions and things that I should fix.

I'll take all the criticism from everyone.

Well, as you said. No shading, no color contrast, no anti alias.

I think I know what anti alias is, I believe it would be a smooth outline rather than a plain one. So in this sprite, there is a plain black outer outline, so that would not be an example of anti alias... I think. Like, since the sprite is brown, the outline should be a dark brown, followed by a tad bit lighter brown, and then again with a lighter one.

Thanks for the help Doctor, I'll try to go and make the changes... Now if I can just add some more colors....

You're suffering in lineart as well. Phantom is right. The smile looks really awkward and the hands/feet need some work.

Hey Duon, I edited the sprite a bit, just ask me if you wanna see it :V
(I say this for not getting blamed about editing someone's sprite and posting it here :S)

You're suffering in lineart as well. Phantom is right. The smile looks really awkward and the hands/feet need some work.
Eeheh, yeah, I suck at making round-ish eyes, the mouth was last minute.
Also, the arms looked weird because that was line art at first, and then I got rid of the black lines. The feet... I was VERY lazy and I suck at making quality legs. May I get an example?

Also, Here's some fix ups:

23vbz8j.png

I'm having some difficulty imagining plant legs without them looking "too grown"

Edit: Oops! forgot to take out some lines...
Edit2: Okay, that's better... shading look off now...

Last edited:
Stop saying "I'm Lazy." Seriously... -_-
If you're "lazy" and end up showing something of this caliber, then DON'T show it. The same exact errors still exist in your current sprite compared to your last sprite.

The problem still seems to remain, no anti alias, and the shading uses too little color choices for it to have a proper shade.

The problem still seems to remain, no anti alias, and the shading uses too little color choices for it to have a proper shade.
I'm understanding the anti-alias, but MS Paint only offers a certain amount of custom colors to use. (How light could brown get?) I'll try to fix up the problems again.

Edit: I'm trying my best here...

257egec.png

Edit2: I don't think I understood anti-alias correctly, making changes now.

snnc79.png

Edit3: I think there is a fine comparison between both of them...

Last edited:
@@doun's sprite looks like it's screaming in agony, and I feel it's pain.

@blackhex the mistake there is the placement of the shades/shadows. From the legs, I'm assuming that there is a light to the left and right of him...her..it?

@@doun's sprite looks like it's screaming in agony, and I feel it's pain.

@blackhex the mistake there is the placement of the shades/shadows. From the legs, I'm assuming that there is a light to the left and right of him...her..it?

Maybe putting the shades from his legs looking to one unique way? Anyway, I think this is... better? :V
533fa268dd.png

I don't want to be mean or rude or anything but my first impressions on the sprite were "This looks like a walking dried upside down pumpkin." It just needs work and shading. Try to make it look like a flower from GFZ. It's a good start for a joke wad, all you need to do is fix sprite. After I found out this is a joke wad I think it's fitting for this character.

Maybe putting the shades from his legs looking to one unique way? Anyway, I think this is... better? :V
533fa268dd.png
The only thing I think is wrong with this is his mouth and maybe having no outline.

Last edited:
I don't want to be mean or rude or anything but my first impressions on the sprite were "This looks like a walking dried upside down pumpkin." It just needs work and shading. Try to make it look like a flower from GFZ. It's a good start for a joke wad, all you need to do is fix sprite. After I found out this is a joke wad I think it's fitting for this character.

The only thing I think is wrong with this is his mouth and maybe having no outline.

It actually has an outline.... kinda :V
And... How does the mouth look now? (I'm trying different things :V)
9580a9d62f.png

Last edited:
Now with that shading included, it seems as if the global light is on the left, shining to the right. Which is wrong, you need to make the shading come as if there is a light above the player heading down.

Now with that shading included, it seems as if the global light is on the left, shining to the right. Which is wrong, you need to make the shading come as if there is a light above the player heading down.

Well, I took your suggestion, (Along with the outline idea of DP) and, does this look better by any chance? (Had to remodel the sprites to make the new shading :V)
ab6bec1a17.png

Off-Topic: @Duon, can you please let me help you in the spriting of Bud? I really want to help in something, even if it is a joke wad.

Funny you said that, Flower is a GFZ flower that was to be a joke wad, except the fact that all the edits were terrible and the sounds were annoying.

I'm not sure if I want this to be a joke wad or not, but it does fit well considering we're talking about a flower bud.

Last edited:
@blackhex better, but still off. There is no anti alias, there is a plain brown outline. I recommend using colors that start off dark, going into light for that blended outline look. Just like the srb2 sprites. Also some parts of the shading on the arms and legs still don't follow the direction of the 'global light'. For example the body has a light source above it to the left, and the legs have a light source under them.

@blackhex better, but still off. There is no anti alias, there is a plain brown outline. I recommend using colors that start off dark, going into light for that blended outline look. Just like the srb2 sprites. Also some parts of the shading on the arms and legs still don't follow the direction of the 'global light'. For example the body has a light source above it to the left, and the legs have a light source under them.

Can you please explain me, what is Anti-Alias? I still don't understand it. Are you meaning to the "Shading" of the outline? I can fix that, but I need to understand the Antialias a bit better :S

And I understand what you mean with the light source. But what do I do?
Shade a little darker on the legs?
Let them darker and opaque? :|?

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Well, about the initial sprite, I learned how to Antialias something. (Is well spelled? :V)
What do you think about this?:
6e08953726.png

(Please tell me I did not pillow shade ;_;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back