Dirk The Husky

DirkTheHusky

Team Kinetic RPG
Long waited for another character to play as, here's Dirk The Husky!

attachment.php

He's got the same speed as Knuckles, but has many aerial tricks up his sleeves. But they are limited so you have to plan your moves to get across some obstacles.

Abilities:
Ice Platforms: (Jump in mid-air)
Dirk can spawn 3 platforms when he is off the ground. Use it to get across large gaps. This causes less friction when you're on them.

Ice surf: (Spin while running over runspeed)
Dirk will ride across an ice trail that can also be used to get across large open areas. Press and holding Jump while ice surf is used will ascend you to the sky. To cancel, simply release Spin or release it while holding Jump to perform a jump after ending Ice surf. Pressing Spin while going under the runspeed while cause Dirk to go into his spin state.

Ice run: When touching water, Dirk will run across the water while spawning ice trails.

Ice ring (Match exclusive):
Instead of a red ring. Dirk will shoot an ice ring that freezes players when it makes contact. While frozen, players can mash buttons to reduce the time of the freeze effect. Also, frozen players can shoot others to avoid being hit after being thawed out and they are also invincible during the freeze effect.

Extras:
Dirk is also available for Top Down.
A new command "specialcolor" is a command that changes Dirk's skincolor to more of a black with a blue tint color.

Changelog:
1.1.1 (11/1/17)
• Fixed an issue where Dirk was invulnerable to certain projectiles (e.g. eggman's laser in GFZ3)
• Players using ice surf in analog mode now face the direction of their momentum

1.1.0 (10/31/17)
• Ice surfing over moving FOFs is more reliable (it still freaks out in some cases, but most floors can be stably surfed over)
• Walking and running on rising water is much less spazzy
• Spawning ice platforms while at high speeds is much safer
• The tail of Dirk's ice trail becomes intangible while fading away, making it much less of an obstruction
• Dirk no longer regenerates ice surf while standing on an ice platform
• Ice surfing from an ice platform no longer resets Dirk's ice platform count
• Added lots of checks to the ice ring script to reduce the number of warnings that can appear
• Modified the way the ice shards are positioned when players are frozen; they should not disconnect from moving players anymore
• Fixed a small issue regarding aerial ice surf rising upwards slightly when not holding jump
• Dirk now has full compatibility with SRB2 Top Down, as well as a victory sound effect!
• Dirk has a new dusk blue coloration! If you want to play as Dirk in the regular black, you can use the "specialcolor" command to turn it off or back on again

1.0.1 (10/11/17)
• Fixed the warning that appears when Dirk falls into a pit
• Speed shoes no longer throw the player off ice surf at top speed
• Freezing players now awards the attacker with points
• Non-ice ring projectiles thrown by players on the same team as a frozen player can now break that player free and also gain them points
• Resolved a sprite conflict between MonitorsPlus and Dirk (Jeck will need to update the ice platform MD2)
• removed herobrine xd

1.0.0 (10/10/17)
• Initial release

Credits:
Spriters:
MotorRoach = Sprite help and Ice surf platform sprite
Zhire/STCPhoton = Ice surf platform sprite help

Coders:
HellHawkX = drown lua
Lach = Ability coder and mostly everything coding related
Lat' = Red ring mobjthinker
RedEnchilada = Spindash lua
Prisima = Ice ring lua
Sapheros = Bugfixing the drown lua

Special thanks:
Inazuma/Speedwagon = Ice surf idea
Potatosack = Signpost idea

Attachments

• srb20008.png
    srb20008.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 25,270
  • srb20009.png
    srb20009.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 4,756
  • srb20010.png
    srb20010.png
    197.4 KB · Views: 4,506
  • Dirk_v1-1-1.zip
    235.6 KB · Views: 8,733
Last edited:
My friend,

You have come a long way since we first met. You have improved so much as a character designer, an animator, and most importantly, a person. This wad is outstanding. The sprite work here beautiful and fluid. There is hard work, love, and dedication seen in every single frame. The design is awesome! Finally, an OC that isn't some sonic recolor with ridiculous accessories! Not only that... Dirk looks GREAT! He's adorable! His moveset is ridiculously fun. The ice themed gameplay is sooooooo fun.

Thank you for the ride man. Welcome to Release!

Man, it was such a blast to program this character's abilities for you. I really hope I was able to bring as much life into Dirk as you had hoped he could have—but in all honesty, most of his charm comes from your persistence and passion as an artist and a creator. Congratulations mate! I look forward to seeing where you will take your undeniable talents next.

Alright, I'll admit that when I saw you stop working on your Mario WAD in favor of Dirk I was a little skeptical, but playing with the character has DEFINITELY changed my mind! I'm not a dog fan by any means and he's so dang cute, his sprites fit perfectly within SRB2 alongside Fing Sonic and he is just SO fun to play as!

Sadly, I do have a bug to report already and that is for some reason, Dirk doesn't rotate while ice surfing in analog mode. I also get an warning in the console when dying in a pit saying "WARNING: ...Dirk.wad|LUA_ICER:62: attempt to index local 'ring' (a nil value)".

Overall this is a great WAD and I am looking forward to playing more as Dirk in the future!

HONEY? WHERE'S MY SUPER SUIT?!

EDIT:
Also, today I learned that Jasper and Hinote are Sonic recolors with rediculous accessories.

Last edited:
Yay! You actually got a project finished!

Jokes aside, another fantastic character wad in the books. I cant wait to try this out.

I also get an warning in the console when dying in a pit saying "WARNING: ...Dirk.wad|LUA_ICER:62: attempt to index local 'ring' (a nil value)".

We're fully aware of this issue and will be uploading a patch in the very near future.

One of the greatest character wads I've ever seen. It's original, takes itself seriously, and has cool abilities. I highly anticipate whatever you decide to work on next, Dirk.

Oh hey! An patch that fixes errors

1.0.1 Changes

• Non-ice ring projectiles thrown by players on the same team as a frozen player can now break that player free and also gain them points
• Resolved a sprite conflict between MonitorsPlus and Dirk (Jeck will need to update the ice platform MD2)
• removed herobrine xd

Oh hey! An patch that fixes errors

1.0.1 Changes

• removed herobrine xd
Removed Herobrine? I see what you did there, you clever man. Anyway, now that this is out, i'm gonna look more forward to your Mario.

Kind of glimpsed discussion of this character on Discord, but I didn't really follow it, so I can't really go all "I'm proud of you" and the like because I've barely heard of it until recently. =P

But yeah, this is a fun character to play as. I like the whole ice abilities thing, though the ice producing run-on-water extra caught me offguard. But that's no problem really.

I LOVE this character. It looks great, and the ice goes really well with him. Also, I enjoy this EVEN MORE since I'm very fond of ice and other cold things, so this character is perfect for me.

Best FC ever
The abilities reminds me of Elsa from that annoying "Frozen" movie, but I DON'T CARE!
That doesn't matter, your character is awesome
My favorite ability is the Ice Surf

The amount of love put into this character is astonishing. I followed Drik's progress in the forums as often as I could, and I've gotta say that I'm more than amazed with the final product.

His main ability is quite interesting and useful in more ways than just vertical mobility. It can also be used to come to an almost complete stop if you're being too careless and almost fell off a cliff due to your momentum, it can be used to stop recoil from bouncing into an enemy or boss that might send you off flying, there's a lot of things you can do with it.

His secondary ability Ice Surf, while hard to pull off successfully, has got to be one of the most original and clever ideas for a character's ability I can think of since Silver's Telekenesis and Shadow's Teleportation/Homing Attack. At first, I thought that I had to simply hold spin, instead of running and THEN holding spin, which lead to a lot of confusing shenanigans. But when I understood how it worked, I Ice Surfed through most of the stages. The time you get to surf is longer than I anticipated, which was delightful, since you can only really move upwards while surfing.

Anyways, this was a lot of fun, definitely worth the wait.

Dirk is an extremely fun character to mess around as, and designed really well, especially with the ice abilities. I also noticed Dirk is kind of a polar opposite of Blaze the Cat.

Puns aside, I'll say it again, this wad is alot of fun. Even so little as the progress from when you first started Dirk has been amazing.

You went from making sprites of Sonic recolors to making a great character, animating, as well as creating a fun character wad. You've definitely come a long way, buddy. Can't wait to see what you end up making next.

So i went with an almost complete playthrough of the Main SRB2 Campaign as Dirk and i gotta say, i'm completely impressed.
I had a lot of fun playing as him, Ice Surf (god i LOVE that ability, especially Dirk's sprites while Surfing) seems like a really unique ability.

Dirk's abilities are really useful especially on DSZ because sometimes you fall on water and it's hard to get out.

I also seem to lag a lot using Super Dirk's Ice Platform, maybe because i mashed Jump without thinking all of the lag it would make.

Final Words in this Comment: This character is gonna make Jasper look extremely outdated lol (Don't kill me)

Hello, I really liked your Wad, Dirk proved to be one of the best Wads I've ever seen, I liked his abilities, playing with him makes it much easier to Deep Sea Zone and also to Eggman's battle in Act Three.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back