SCR_Mine.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fists

The Echidna
I started this level a while ago, and recenty completed it. It features a mountain, and a mine with multiple elemental challenges. Here are some screenies. Enjoy!

Attachments

• srb20004.jpg
    srb20004.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 616
  • srb20005.jpg
    srb20005.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 550
  • srb20006.jpg
    srb20006.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 555
  • srb20007.jpg
    srb20007.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,288
  • srb20008.jpg
    srb20008.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 592
  • SCR_Mine.zip
    108.9 KB · Views: 918
This is a pretty mediocre level, for these reasons:

• There's no custom header. To make one, you create a MAINCFG lump, which is explained on the Wiki.
  • The underground area is entirely optional. If you take it, you play through a few minutes of some odd underground area where simply walking around the entrace can skip all that wasted time.
  • The level as a whole is far too small. The passages are skinny, the ledges are small, and the platforms are tiny. Try selecting all the Sectors in the level and using the resizing tool.
  • The teleports don't make much sense. Try using ruin-like structures with a beam of light shooting out of them. It makes more sense then brown squares.
  • The themes you put together don't make much sense. It doesn't seem right to mix water, fire, snow, wood, and mountain all together in a single level.
  • The challenge in the snowy area is ridiculous. You give us tiny paths and we have to avoid invisible walls which kill you on contact? It doesn't make much sense, considering the fact that you didn't introduce us to it in a logical fashion, and it simply doesn't make sense to have invisible walls in the first place. The enemies placed around the area can easily knock you into the walls, killing you. The exit of this area doesn't make sense, because it isn't typical that a player would turn around, notice a hole in a wall that they couldn't before, and go through it.
  • The water area is too unfair. You're in a water for almost all of your time spent in there, and there isn't a single way to get air besides making your way up to the top. This puts slow characters at an extreme disadvantage, because they can't climb up the pillars in time.
  • The lava area is far too boring. It's not only very monotonous (jumping from one small platform to another for a very long time), it's very easy and takes much longer than the water path would take, rendering it useless.
  • The wood area is a maze. This is a bad decision because it's very cramped, there's Detons seemingly coming out of nowhere, and it's frustrating and annoying to deal with. I suggest using a new idea entirely instead of bothering with fixing it.
  • At the mountain area, the small size makes it very hard to stay on the cliffs, so you either fall off, get stuck to walls, or have an enemy knock you down, so you either have to work your way back up or get killed by an invisible FOF.
  • There's too many enemies. This is mostly notable on the mountain area. It's extremely frustrating to fall off of a tall mountain simply because there's a flying enemy that shoots you while you're too busy dealing with a mass of Crawlas.
  • There's no detail whatsoever besides the ugly-looking fences on the mountain area, which don't make much sense and should be solid.
  • The way the level starts isn't interesting. It's very overdone, and the entire scene where the floor collapses can be avoided by simply walking more to the right. There's a randomly-placed 1-Up, which is fairly useless as the snowy area is optional, and it's very hard to die anywhere else.
  • The flow is awkward. This is due to the large size of things, and the 90° turns in the underground areas.

3/10

Internet explorer corrupts attachments from vBulletin.

Why does that happen with Internet Explorer? Why can't we download them normally?

EDIT: Thank you for uploading a mirror, Snowy. Also, this is an SP level right? Under the release date it says ''Multiplayer Levels''.

Last edited:
To make sure people don't skip the beginning I think you should make the start 2d than when in the holde swicth to 3d or set starting point at the top of the hole or put a bustable block from under fof over the exit of the tunnel so people don't use the spring to skip the mine.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

• There's no custom header. To make one, you create a MAINCFG lump, which is explained on the Wiki.

The header may seem useless to some but it gives the level a name. Check here http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Level_Header
  • The underground area is entirely optional. If you take it, you play through a few minutes of some odd underground area where simply walking around the entrace can skip all that wasted time.

To make sure people don't skip the beginning I think you should make the start 2d than when in the holde swicth to 3d or set starting point at the top of the hole or put a bustable block from under fof over the exit of the tunnel so people don't use the spring to skip the mine.

• The level as a whole is far too small. The passages are skinny, the ledges are small, and the platforms are tiny. Try selecting all the Sectors in the level and using the resizing tool.

The level does seem squash but maybe that is what fists design it in mind but it is easy to fall off.
  • The teleports don't make much sense. Try using ruin-like structures with a beam of light shooting out of them. It makes more sense then brown squares.
  • The themes you put together don't make much sense. It doesn't seem right to mix water, fire, snow, wood, and mountain all together in a single level.
  • The challenge in the snowy area is ridiculous. You give us tiny paths and we have to avoid invisible walls which kill you on contact? It doesn't make much sense, considering the fact that you didn't introduce us to it in a logical fashion, and it simply doesn't make sense to have invisible walls in the first place. The enemies placed around the area can easily knock you into the walls, killing you. The exit of this area doesn't make sense, because it isn't typical that a player would turn around, notice a hole in a wall that they couldn't before, and go through it.
  • The water area is too unfair. You're in a water for almost all of your time spent in there, and there isn't a single way to get air besides making your way up to the top. This puts slow characters at an extreme disadvantage, because they can't climb up the pillars in time.

I cant pass the water part at all with sonic.
  • The lava area is far too boring. It's not only very monotonous (jumping from one small platform to another for a very long time), it's very easy and takes much longer than the water path would take, rendering it useless.
  • The wood area is a maze. This is a bad decision because it's very cramped, there's Detons seemingly coming out of nowhere, and it's frustrating and annoying to deal with. I suggest using a new idea entirely instead of bothering with fixing it.
  • At the mountain area, the small size makes it very hard to stay on the cliffs, so you either fall off, get stuck to walls, or have an enemy knock you down, so you either have to work your way back up or get killed by an invisible FOF.
  • There's too many enemies. This is mostly notable on the mountain area. It's extremely frustrating to fall off of a tall mountain simply because there's a flying enemy that shoots you while you're too busy dealing with a mass of Crawlas.

This is the first time I got trouble by the enemies of srb2. I really like the challenge but it seems easy to fall off the mountain. Luckily I just jump with caution.
  • There's no detail whatsoever besides the ugly-looking fences on the mountain area, which don't make much sense and should be solid.
  • The way the level starts isn't interesting. It's very overdone, and the entire scene where the floor collapses can be avoided by simply walking more to the right. There's a randomly-placed 1-Up, which is fairly useless as the snowy area is optional, and it's very hard to die anywhere else.
  • The flow is awkward. This is due to the large size of things, and the 90° turns in the underground areas.

3/10

Note: I am not flaming Kyasarin and I know that he did not make it. I respect his ratings to. Sorry if I made you mad. I hope you dont mind.

Last edited:
Why did you quote my entire post...?
Anyways, but even if you intentionally made this small, it's a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyasarin

• The header may seem useless to some but it gives the level a name. Check here http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Level_Header
    [*]The underground area is entirely optional. If you take it, you play through a few minutes of some odd underground area where simply walking around the entrace can skip all that wasted time.

[*]The level as a whole is far too small. The passages are skinny, the ledges are small, and the platforms are tiny. Try selecting all the Sectors in the level and using the resizing tool.

The level does seem squash but maybe that is what fists design it in mind but it is easy to fall off.
    [*]The teleports don't make much sense. Try using ruin-like structures with a beam of light shooting out of them. It makes more sense then brown squares.
    [*]The themes you put together don't make much sense. It doesn't seem right to mix water, fire, snow, wood, and mountain all together in a single level.
    [*]The challenge in the snowy area is ridiculous. You give us tiny paths and we have to avoid invisible walls which kill you on contact? It doesn't make much sense, considering the fact that you didn't introduce us to it in a logical fashion, and it simply doesn't make sense to have invisible walls in the first place. The enemies placed around the area can easily knock you into the walls, killing you. The exit of this area doesn't make sense, because it isn't typical that a player would turn around, notice a hole in a wall that they couldn't before, and go through it.
    [*]The water area is too unfair. You're in a water for almost all of your time spent in there, and there isn't a single way to get air besides making your way up to the top. This puts slow characters at an extreme disadvantage, because they can't climb up the pillars in time.

I cant pass the water part at all with sonic.
    [*]The lava area is far too boring. It's not only very monotonous (jumping from one small platform to another for a very long time), it's very easy and takes much longer than the water path would take, rendering it useless.
    [*]The wood area is a maze. This is a bad decision because it's very cramped, there's Detons seemingly coming out of nowhere, and it's frustrating and annoying to deal with. I suggest using a new idea entirely instead of bothering with fixing it.
    [*]At the mountain area, the small size makes it very hard to stay on the cliffs, so you either fall off, get stuck to walls, or have an enemy knock you down, so you either have to work your way back up or get killed by an invisible FOF.
    [*]There's too many enemies. This is mostly notable on the mountain area. It's extremely frustrating to fall off of a tall mountain simply because there's a flying enemy that shoots you while you're too busy dealing with a mass of Crawlas.

This is the first time I got trouble by the enemies of srb2. I really like the challenge but it seems easy to fall off the mountain. Luckily I just jump with caution.
    [*]There's no detail whatsoever besides the ugly-looking fences on the mountain area, which don't make much sense and should be solid.
    [*]The way the level starts isn't interesting. It's very overdone, and the entire scene where the floor collapses can be avoided by simply walking more to the right. There's a randomly-placed 1-Up, which is fairly useless as the snowy area is optional, and it's very hard to die anywhere else.
    [*]The flow is awkward. This is due to the large size of things, and the 90° turns in the underground areas.

There's no custom header. To make one, you create a MAINCFG lump, which is explained on the Wiki.
The underground area is entirely optional. If you take it, you play through a few minutes of some odd underground area where simply walking around the entrace can skip all that wasted time.
The level as a whole is far too small. The passages are skinny, the ledges are small, and the platforms are tiny. Try selecting all the Sectors in the level and using the resizing tool.
The teleports don't make much sense. Try using ruin-like structures with a beam of light shooting out of them. It makes more sense then brown squares.
The themes you put together don't make much sense. It doesn't seem right to mix water, fire, snow, wood, and mountain all together in a single level.
The challenge in the snowy area is ridiculous. You give us tiny paths and we have to avoid invisible walls which kill you on contact? It doesn't make much sense, considering the fact that you didn't introduce us to it in a logical fashion, and it simply doesn't make sense to have invisible walls in the first place. The enemies placed around the area can easily knock you into the walls, killing you. The exit of this area doesn't make sense, because it isn't typical that a player would turn around, notice a hole in a wall that they couldn't before, and go through it.
The water area is too unfair. You're in a water for almost all of your time spent in there, and there isn't a single way to get air besides making your way up to the top. This puts slow characters at an extreme disadvantage, because they can't climb up the pillars in time.
The lava area is far too boring. It's not only very monotonous (jumping from one small platform to another for a very long time), it's very easy and takes much longer than the water path would take, rendering it useless.
The wood area is a maze. This is a bad decision because it's very cramped, there's Detons seemingly coming out of nowhere, and it's frustrating and annoying to deal with. I suggest using a new idea entirely instead of bothering with fixing it.
At the mountain area, the small size makes it very hard to stay on the cliffs, so you either fall off, get stuck to walls, or have an enemy knock you down, so you either have to work your way back up or get killed by an invisible FOF.
There's too many enemies. This is mostly notable on the mountain area. It's extremely frustrating to fall off of a tall mountain simply because there's a flying enemy that shoots you while you're too busy dealing with a mass of Crawlas.
There's no detail whatsoever besides the ugly-looking fences on the mountain area, which don't make much sense and should be solid.
The way the level starts isn't interesting. It's very overdone, and the entire scene where the floor collapses can be avoided by simply walking more to the right. There's a randomly-placed 1-Up, which is fairly useless as the snowy area is optional, and it's very hard to die anywhere else.
The flow is awkward. This is due to the large size of things, and the 90° turns in the underground areas

I agree with this: 3/10-

(Off-topic: I will give emblems to good works. On bad works i will give this)

This stunk totally.
I like the idea it is very orignal but it's to cramped the lava part got boring and after awhile I just gave up of boredome.

But you should use a level header you can do this easy with any of these editors
*Srb2 Doom builder
*Doom builder
*Srb2 workbench
*Slumped
*XWE (I say it's easy but I wouldn't use it)

Look on the wiki to find out how

4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back