Unofficial v2.2 Discussion Thread

Wumbo

edited
This is [not] an official discussion thread for the upcoming v2.2 update.

Major changes include but are not limited to:

-Integration of slopes into official levels
-A major texture overhaul
-Better menus
-The removal of SRB1 Remake (will be released separately instead)
-Horizontal springs
-Arid Canyon Zone Acts 2 & 3
-Super and Hyper Levels
-More accessibility options
-Improved Record Attack mode

-Everything else

Links to official stuff (updated 2000 years ago):

Interface and Accessibility Preview
A Big Announcement (Everything but Big himself is v2.2 content)
2.2 Slope Hype
The Fan-Made Sonic Game That Won't Die (Picture is v2.2 content)
2.1.16 Release, 2.2 Information, and Community News Update
2.2 Preview - With Slopes!
A Trio of 2.2 Tidbits
GIF of DSZ2 of Gargoyle Puzzle
WIP Picture of Doomship/Grand Eggship Zone (Confirmed not for v2.2; Keeping link just because)
Post With Link to Picture of v2.2 Palette
The SRB2 Wiki Page

Its out my guys

Last edited:
Well, I have some questions about this update: Are they working on be some MD2 support upgrades? such as increasing the max number of polygons or improving the way MD2 works on time attack. Are they working on new abilities that changes the way we play?
Also, I wanted to say I hope this update get a official launcher.

Why would you assume that they would touch OGL at all? Its a cancerous, inefficient Renderer that they would gladly tear out if people didn't complain. As it is, they still would tear it out if they could replace it with a rewrite.

But onto things that we /do/ know about 2.2, we know that it will have flatsprites, a completely rewritten skin system that its concept dates back all the way to when JTE was working on SRB2RP, improvements to A_Overlay (or something similar to that, looking at Tails), Some Lua functions that work with slopes, and other Lua related stuff.

Do we really need a 2.2 discussion thread? When we have an entire sub-forum here dedicated to SRB2 discussion? I mean, this thread doesn't do any harm I just find it a little silly!

Also to the best of my non-developer knowledge, Grand Eggship isn't planned to be in 2.2. STJR already has a lot of planned content for 2.2 after all. It's still an interesting early work in progress screenshot though.

I think it helps a little to keep a thread where all of the preview and pre-release information are easily accessible. Even if new information doesn't come out all that often.

A buddy of mine saw 2.2 take its shirt off in the shower, and she said that 2.2 has a six-pack.

That 2.2 was shredded.

My favorite change by far has to be slopes intergrated to level design, It'll sure open more possibilities to play around with the levels, I always loved spindashing down hills in the classic titles.

I'm more curious as to how DSZ and CEZ have changed outside of what we've seen so far.

with all the radical changes some of the stages have gotten, someone could make a megaMIX level pack of the different versions getting merged.

Last edited:
I have a few questions myself about v2.2, if the developers would mind answering them:

• Will the title screen be changing?
  • Will any music tracks be altered in any way? Will the already-existing track for ACZ2 be changed in any way?
  • How come we haven't been getting any good looks at Tails' new sprites? Are they still unfinished?
  • Will Egg Rock Zone be changing in any ways other than the usual sprite overhaul and slope integration?
  • Will it ever be possible to unload added files?
  • Will Arid Canyon have an Act 3?
  • I swore I once saw something about v2.2 changing how Thing sprites worked, or something like that. Is that true?
  • Will slope physics be improving? Will it allow for actual loops, like what was shown on that one April Fools Day GIF? Also, will it be possible to go up steep slopes without having to spindash?
  • Are the two v2.2 texture WADs linked in the description of a few videos like this a hoax? Or are they real?
Thank you!

In as few words as possible:

• maybe?
  • yes
  • because they're exclusive to the new version, if you're asking about an fsonic style release; i showed off plenty of gifs whilst workin' on her/basically no
  • your expectations are too high
  • no
  • yes
  • players only for internal system, papersprite mode added for everything
  • yes/no/no
  • gfz textures are real, everything else is fake

In as few words as possible:

• maybe?
  • yes
  • because they're exclusive to the new version, if you're asking about an fsonic style release; i showed off plenty of gifs whilst workin' on her/basically no
  • your expectations are too high
  • no
  • yes
  • players only for internal system, papersprite mode added for everything
  • yes/no/no
  • gfz textures are real, everything else is fake
That was quick. Thanks!

To expand on the slope physics, that "loop" is all a trick. The new feature in the slope physics is the ability to launch the player off of quarterpipes. Hence, the "loop" simply has the top half under reverse gravity. If you watch really closely you can even see the point where the transfer and gravity flip occurs.

tl;dr it's two half pipes with the top one under reverse gravity.

Papersprites are a state flag that makes the object render like a mid-texture. In layman's terms, you can make stuff look like Paper Mario

Somehow I completely missed this. What's been changed?

I think they're referring to this part of the news post:

Our attempts to teach new players the controls don’t stop there. This is a screenshot of a record attack replay being viewed, which shows the controls being used in a new HUD element in the bottom-left corner, as well as an icon for a new feature: automatic braking.

Honestly it's only an extra HUD element. =P

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back