Suggestions

The ability to read the values of the default game cvars using Lua would be nice.

Hold on... does that mean password/login commands only allow one other person than the host to be an admin?

Normally, when playing with my cousin, we use those commands so that we're both admins, and can both use admin-only commands.

Hold on... does that mean password/login commands only allow one other person than the host to be an admin?

Normally, when playing with my cousin, we use those commands so that we're both admins, and can both use admin-only commands.

Are you using a terminal? I'm talking about Vanilla Srb2!

Yes, it's vanilla. My cousin will host, and I will connect, and he'll set the password, and I'll use it to become an admin, since I know the commands better. Then we're both admins.

Technically your cousin is the host, a step up from admin who does not have to login because he is hosting the game, so that doesn't really make multiple admins.
That just results in a host and an admin.

EDIT: Kind of meant to answer Yoshirocks's question three posts ago with a "yes", heh

Last edited:
A log folder or logging all games in the same file?

There are players that want to keep a log of every game they play, or they happen to start a game right after an error and such error dissapears from the log.
Would be neat if there was a dedicated folder for collecting each log, whose file name would be a timestamp of when the game was launcher, for example.

Just requesting this because I managed to crash 2.1.20, an error appeared in chat and I didn't get to copy the log because I started the game again. It was too late to realize my mistake

Could we have a timerres option where the time is displayed in minutes and seconds but with split seconds displayed as tics rather than centiseconds?

How about 2.2's Sonic have a air ability when you press X? For example you could press X and do the Drop Dash.

I think that would be a change useful for gameplay, the game would be more fluent in terms of that.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

By the way, i would also like to the game have special stage rings that work like the classic games.Instead of being an addon in releases, i would also like the Jump Thok to be a jump ability in vanilla 2.2. I think that these two suggestions together will make the game a bit better to play as Sonic.

Im still on the faith for these suggestions to be added.

SRB2 can change it's level design, it can change it's character design, it can change it's art design and style, but it will NOT change a single ability on Sonic, Tails or Knuckles. Sonic is already the fastest character in the game, and suggesting a Jump Thok is another means of nerfing Sonic's thok, which the whole game was designed around. Changing that will destroy most of the community in no time, and no one thinks it's a good idea; I don't even like the thok in every gametype that isn't co-op and I don't support this idea.

The Drop Dash is meaningless as there is already a thok that does the work much better, and much more fluently.

The special stage rings mod isn't exactly a good choice to takeover in the case that the mod itself isn't all that respectful to multiple token locations, which nullify any means of a second/third chance for players.

Your suggestions are entirely based on mods in releases, and for the most part, they seem to be based on mods I released as well. Let's not have another "This should be in 2.2" moment, eh?

I’d like to be able to map my spectate function to a different key. On the laptop I use, the F12 key also happens to be the key that turns Airplane mode on and I’ve had moments where I’ve accidentally disconnected my server trying to view the progress of other players mid game. In order to switch viewpoints properly I have to hit alt+f12 to toggle between viewpoints. It gets kind of annoying. If there’s another way I could go about avoiding this issue it would be appreciated besides the typical, “Well, just make sure you don’t forget to press alt before f12.”

I’d like to be able to map my spectate function to a different key. On the laptop I use, the F12 key also happens to be the key that turns Airplane mode on and I’ve had moments where I’ve accidentally disconnected my server trying to view the progress of other players mid game. In order to switch viewpoints properly I have to hit alt+f12 to toggle between viewpoints. It gets kind of annoying. If there’s another way I could go about avoiding this issue it would be appreciated besides the typical, “Well, just make sure you don’t forget to press alt before f12.”

In a file called 'autoexec.cfg' in the root of your SRB2 folder (if there is none there then make one) add this line to the end:
Code:
bind <key name> "changeteam spectator"
where '<key name>' is the name of the key you wish to use to spectate. The key name is usually as it appears on your keyboard (i.e 'A' for the 'A' key) unless it is a special key.

....Changing that will destroy most of the community in no time

I think this is one of the Main problems with SRB2, It's designed based on the feedback taken only from it's own community, It's has to be open minded and listen to feedback from everyone if it were to appeal to bigger audience, offer SRB2 to any outsider and he will quickly notice how slippery the controls are and how hard to control the game is.

I did that twice and received similar criticism, with some saying it looks very disorienting and others saying it looks hard to control.

You're right that the developers need to listen to a wider audience to avoid being insular, but blindly following what's popular is an easy way to drive away everyone who currently likes the game and kill the active community dead. There's things we've been doing instead such that the twain may meet; remember the big newspost we made in November? The autobrake (which veteran players can turn off) directly addresses the slippery control thing. There's also plans for a tutorial on first boot that pre-existing players have the option to skip (we don't know when that'll be done, but steps are being taken towards it...)

SRB2 isn't perfect, and we absolutely need to do a bunch of things to make it suck less for new people. But that doesn't mean we sabotage the existing userbase.

It's also worth pointing out that we actually do testing with people outside the community. Personally speaking, I've had friends I know IRL beta test content for me since 2.1's devtime, particularly singling out people who haven't played (or even heard of) the game before in order to gauge all sorts of things about the game in general, as well as my specific contributions to it. And I know for a fact I'm not the only one who does this. We've also had discussions on things internally because of YouTube videos and LPs regarding the game about more specific issues that we can point out and try and address. So I'm really not sure where you're coming up with the idea that we aren't paying attention to things outside the community.

Last edited:
offer SRB2 to any outsider and he will quickly notice how slippery the controls are and how hard to control the game is.

Except we all saw those SRB2 Videos IGN and ProJared did, including the devs, which is why DirectionChar exists, AutoBrake is being merged into 2.2, a tutorial level is in the works, and analog mode is hopefully being hidden away until someone "fixes" that.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back