• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Ideas dumping grounds thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have idea for a ghost/genie character he would be able to go through walls and be invincible while doing this but being in the over world makes him vulnerable to enemies though he can go through goop,water and lava without drowning/getting hurt. He could have a nuke like attack that happens when being hit 5-10 ten times ,also i was thinking about making him have a free float ability that allows him to float around the stage as if he was a spectator.

This seems like its going to end in wad requests, but I suppose I'll put some ideas here anyway.

* A lua based thok that allows for launching where the camera is pointing, combined with pausing in mid air while holding the button down.
* A wad that uses several cape chase items in order to piece together a character from "scratch", as well as enabling a save function so it is possible to recreate said character.
* A 3D Model that picks small pixels of the Sonic Sprites as its texture for a futile attempt to create a color changing MD2 without modifying the game. Likely would be rather low polygon, as the areas with the correct colors would move all the time, so parts would need to be copied several times over.

* A wad that uses several cape chase items in order to piece together a character from "scratch", as well as enabling a save function so it is possible to recreate said character.

I don't think this is a good idea. I mean, you would still have to sprite all the arm parts, all the leg parts, all the body parts and all the head parts as well as all their rotations. And in addition to that, you would have to make sure everything looks nice when put together in-game. Might as well sprite it the normal way so it doesn't need a Lua script at all.

* A lua based thok that allows for launching where the camera is pointing, combined with pausing in mid air while holding the button down.

Done. You can thank RedEnchilada and OtherChen for the base code. Use custom 2 to stop in mid air.

well do you have any criticism you could throw my way to fix it?

Going through walls (aka noclip) is extremely overpowered because it means that the character can literally just go through the thok barrier and skip to the end goal sign. It's also an extremely weird ability to have to navigate with, because the player has to deal with the HOM graphical glitches when soaring outside the level boundaries unless he has the game set to automatically draw black every frame.

The only way I can see you balancing this ability is if it costed rings (and killed the player if reaching 0 while outside the boundaries). I don't know how the game would be able to determine whether or not the character is outside the boundaries, though.

Going through walls (aka noclip) is extremely overpowered because it means that the character can literally just go through the thok barrier and skip to the end goal sign. It's also an extremely weird ability to have to navigate with, because the player has to deal with the HOM graphical glitches when soaring outside the level boundaries unless he has the game set to automatically draw black every frame.

The only way I can see you balancing this ability is if it costed rings (and killed the player if reaching 0 while outside the boundaries). I don't know how the game would be able to determine whether or not the character is outside the boundaries, though.
ok thanks i'll remove it completely then i'll just give him an ability that lets him throw plasma (that goo that ghosts leave behind) and it'll cost 1 ring every 2 that are thrown and have a 5 sec cooldown time

1 ring every 2 throws... can you do that?

Either way, that's probably more feasible. If you wanted to stay in the spirit of your "go through walls" ability, maybe what you could do instead is give him the ability to temporarily go through objects without taking damage, with a high cooldown to compensate. Then you can also give him that projectile you're speaking of for some offensive viability against bosses. (Or you can give him an ability that temporarily makes him star-invincible, also on a high cooldown. This might be easier to balance considering he can fly.)

1 ring every 2 throws... can you do that?

Either way, that's probably more feasible. If you wanted to stay in the spirit of your "go through walls" ability, maybe what you could do instead is give him the ability to temporarily go through objects without taking damage, with a high cooldown to compensate. Then you can also give him that projectile you're speaking of for some offensive viability against bosses. (Or you can give him an ability that temporarily makes him star-invincible, also on a high cooldown. This might be easier to balance considering he can fly.)
heh i like your idea alot more thanks bluewarrior! I really appreciate the critique.

Saxton Hale mod?

I have an awesome netgame gametype mod idea that could use some CC, ideas, and support. Have any of you played Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch? Basically, it is yet another total conversion doom mod, but with Megaman players, bosses, and weapons. Members of the MM8BDM community made a very popular netgame Saxton Hale mod, a Last Man Standing mode where all of the players must team up to defeat an overpowered boss (a "Saxton Hale", you know, that character from TF2). I was wondering if creating a SRB2 equivalent of the mod with Sonic bosses and villains would be a great idea?

To summarize the game mechanics of MM8BDM's Saxton Hale mode, upon start of the match, a random player is chosen to become a random Saxton Hale from the mod's roster. Each boss has its own character sprites, special abilities, and game song. When the boss's HP is 0, the players win, but when the players are all dead, the boss wins. Depending on who wins, the results screen has a different background image and a results song playing. Due to the mod being a LMS gametype, dead players and late joining players cannot re/spawn until the match is over.

The gameplay mechanics (mentioned in the previous paragraph) could be coded using Lua, and each boss with their special abilities could be its own character wad. Music could be pulled from a separate resource wad. In fact, I have already created a very early WIP/PoC Lua script in order to test the idea in SRB2. The Lua coding is crude right now, and has issues in real netgames with more than 3 players (ie, outside of the pinch mode). Heck, maybe this could become a SRB2 community-driven project! I can post more details, the code, and get some help with the project if people like it.

(I had this code on my hard drive for over a month, but I have finally gotten over my shyness on this forum!)

I have an awesome netgame gametype mod idea that could use some CC, ideas, and support. Have any of you played Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch? Basically, it is yet another total conversion doom mod, but with Megaman players, bosses, and weapons. Members of the MM8BDM community made a very popular netgame Saxton Hale mod, a Last Man Standing mode where all of the players must team up to defeat an overpowered boss (a "Saxton Hale", you know, that character from TF2). I was wondering if creating a SRB2 equivalent of the mod with Sonic bosses and villains would be a great idea?

To summarize the game mechanics of MM8BDM's Saxton Hale mode, upon start of the match, a random player is chosen to become a random Saxton Hale from the mod's roster. Each boss has its own character sprites, special abilities, and game song. When the boss's HP is 0, the players win, but when the players are all dead, the boss wins. Depending on who wins, the results screen has a different background image and a results song playing. Due to the mod being a LMS gametype, dead players and late joining players cannot re/spawn until the match is over.

The gameplay mechanics (mentioned in the previous paragraph) could be coded using Lua, and each boss with their special abilities could be its own character wad. Music could be pulled from a separate resource wad. In fact, I have already created a very early WIP/PoC Lua script in order to test the idea in SRB2. The Lua coding is crude right now, and has issues in real netgames with more than 3 players (ie, outside of the pinch mode). Heck, maybe this could become a SRB2 community-driven project! I can post more details, the code, and get some help with the project if people like it.

(I had this code on my hard drive for over a month, but I have finally gotten over my shyness on this forum!)
i thought creator.wad did most of that like being able to play as a boss and everyone has to fight you but you win if they lose and vice versa

That sounds a little too complicated, but i DO like the "spawn in one area, go to another" I was thinking of making it a Stadium like sense, similar to Mario Kart Wii's Funky Stadium and Chain Chomp Wheel, where you start in a small room, and then you teleport to the stadium.

Because of Death match spawning, each room will also come with it's own Ring panel, a random monitor, and 10 rings. Rail Ring, Explosion Ring, and Scatter Ring rooms will have strong monitors, while automatic ring, bouncy ring, and grenade ring rooms get the weak, one room will have the infinity ring.
The Center is a ring-less, large stadium, to duke it out with the item you have. Ring monitors will be in only four parts of the stadium, and only spawn ring monitors.

And that's it. I don't think many of you would like that idea, but it sounds interesting at most...
Sounds like a watered down version of my idea :V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back