Stormy Shelter Zone 1~ Lat's old crappy level, now there :3

Lat'

Absolute territory where
Kart Krew™️
I randomly found this file in my WADs folder for 2.1, and realized that this old thing wasn't even released here! This was supposed to be a level for New Horizons, but it's going straight to archives!

What in the hell does it include?
*Stormy Shelter Act 1
*Totally not OP AMT Crawlas that sees you from 5 miles away and fire bullets every second
*A magnifiscent skybox!
*A pretty good boss.

Known issues
*A character that doesn't have spin will NOT be able to complete the level
*A character that doesn't have abilities such as thok/fly/glide or whatever may have difficulties to complete the boss.

Download and screenshots?
What are those?
attachment.php

attachment.php

Q&A
Question: Why didn't you fix those issues?
Awnser: 1, I'm lazy. 2, I wanted the level to be the same

Attachments

• scr_StormyShelterZone1.rar
    2.6 MB · Views: 862
That conveyor after the first space countdown alarm thing is really hard to see; you should have a small light there or something so the player isn't blindsided by that.

You have a good basic concept for the boss - his weakness is well defined and fun, if you already know about brak missiles, but that's only half of the equation; as it is right now, your boss needs actions that are more effective at long range, such as the new lasermobile attack from GFZ3. Since that only counts for one attack though, you'll need to come up with something else of your own... note that "effective" doesn't just mean capable of hitting the player, but may also encumber them in other ways through motion, interacting with the arena, or making optional or extra objectives the player may have more difficult.

Until pinch phase, Eggman should provide some method of attacking him for every action, rather than having to wait for him to pick the attack that sends a brak missile out. One possibility is to have him shoot a frisbee and missile as the first attack, mainly to encumber a player flying in to attack, and another would be to quickly move to a different location before firing a brak missile there. Whatever you come up with, try to make each boss action require a different reaction from the player; bonus points if that reaction is different depending on context, such as if they're on the platform or if they're riding the missile towards him. Above all else, the player should always have something to do, and variation in what it is they need to be doing.

Last edited:
Thanks for critizes, it will help a lot for the new version of this boss planned in New Horizons, and I already have an idea of using the space countdown alarm in its arena and when flying with those Brak missiles. I should also make the player know that he can grab them by some ways. Also, I tried using that new EggMobile laser but it lefts fire trails on the pit and didn't even reach the platforms where the player is supposed to stand.

Use its "spiky" prokectiles, those are Brakeggman missiles from 2.0, you can grab them.

That conveyor after the first space countdown alarm thing is really hard to see; you should have a small light there or something so the player isn't blindsided by that.

You have a good basic concept for the boss - his weakness is well defined and fun, if you already know about brak missiles, but that's only half of the equation; as it is right now, your boss needs actions that are more effective at long range, such as the new lasermobile attack from GFZ3. Since that only counts for one attack though, you'll need to come up with something else of your own... note that "effective" doesn't just mean capable of hitting the player, but may also encumber them in other ways through motion, interacting with the arena, or making optional or extra objectives the player may have more difficult.

Until pinch phase, Eggman should provide some method of attacking him for every action, rather than having to wait for him to pick the attack that sends a brak missile out. One possibility is to have him shoot a frisbee and missile as the first attack, mainly to encumber a player flying in to attack, and another would be to quickly move to a different location before firing a brak missile there. Whatever you come up with, try to make each boss action require a different reaction from the player; bonus points if that reaction is different depending on context, such as if they're on the platform or if they're riding the missile towards him. Above all else, the player should always have something to do, and variation in what it is they need to be doing.

I know how to fix the boss issue. Just tell the .wad to not run the EGG_SOC file and it will play the GFZ3 boss instead, only Eggman doesn't move. If you get to the platform directly across from Eggman, you spindash and you can hit him and bounce off him towards to platform. But you have to balance the player just right hitting Eggman and landing on the platform! Once he deploys his spikes, you'll have to wait about 3 seconds for them to move out of the way for you to hit him. But if you don't hit him on time, he might deploy his spikes again just when you hit him, and fall to your doom. I've tried this. It's EXTREMELY hard, but POSSIBLE.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back