Any nostalgic systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a child, my family had a Nintendo Entertainment System and a Sega Genesis, and I personally owned a Gameboy Color. Each system had about five games, so my console game experience (until last year, when I bought myself a 3DS for my 26th birthday) was quite limited. I don't really attribute any nostalgia to the consoles themselves, but I get rather nostalgic about [NES] The Legend of Zelda, [NES] Fantasy Zone, [Genesis] Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and [GBC] Link's Awakening DX.

ngpc.gif

I got this sweet lil' thang when the Dreamcast was out in the US, but was too expensive to be a birthday present. Only ever owned two games for it, but I played the hell out of them. I have Samurai Shodown! 2 to thank for getting me into SNK games and fighting games in general, and Sonic Pocket Adventure is still in the top two for handheld Sonic games.

Also, that thumb-stick is pure bliss. You can't tell just from looking at it, but compared to an actual arcade stick, it's the next best option for playing a fighting game, in my opinion. The way it clicks around the circumference is the essence of joy, and you'll never miss a command motion in a fighter once you get a feel for it. Nintendo's Gamecube and Wii controllers are the only other mainstream sticks that close to as good as the NGPC's pad, thanks to an octagonal gate which produces a similar, but less mechanical effect.

I had a PSX growing up when I was a kid, and sadly I don't have it. I also had a Gamecube and PS2, but I think I used the Gamecube more, with the amount of variety it had.

The oldest thing I have is a Sega Saturn. It's not really nostalgic for me, it was a poor impulse buy. You know, you first start getting paychecks and you really want something to show for it.

It's actually not bad, I just mainly bought it on the idea I could burn games myself but my computer naturally gave me a hard time about it. I guess I'll have to wait for emulation to be perfected to play Panzer Dragoon Saga. Might as well, it'll look better.

The only actual nostalgic system I'd say I own is an N64. We only had three games for it: Donald Going Quackers, Mickey's Speedway Racing USA (both are actually decent games) and Hey You Pikachu. I can't say I feel nostalgia booting it up though. In general when I play games from this era I just end up focusing largely on the dated mechanics. Few games really hold up.

Not sure if this counts due to it not being on a true video game system, but I have very nostalgic feelings over a couple of computer games I used to play as a kid on our Windows 95. Descent, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, heck I could even consider HOVER as one of those. On the video game console side, my first true system was a Game Boy Advance and the first game was... a port of Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure. Obviously that wasn't the only game I ever got and I have tons of feelings for Rayman Advance, Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Monkey Ball Jr, Sonic Advance, and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back