Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wanna bet, smarty pants?
For 24/7 server hosting, you have to pay for it monthly.
I can host a server by myself using Minecraft's free server hosting software, so as long as I'm running it, my friends and I can use it together. I don't have to pay a cent.
The server software that they have FREE TO DOWNLOAD on their site generates infinite worlds, and you can use SP worlds with it, too.
By the way, it's not nice to make assumptions, Wolfy. I'm not a complete idiot like you seem to think I am.

There is more to hosting a server than downloading a software and running it, the free software that you download is intended for playing on a server with a small group of friends, typically 3 - 6 people, you can try and host a 50 player server, but the thing is, your desktop computer simply wont cut it, hosting a large server requires at least 6GB Dedicated RAM, a Intel Xeon processor, raided SSDs and minimum 100mbps internet connection, not to mention anti-DDOS shields.
Have you noticed that usually Minecraft servers have a world-size limit? that you can't explore further than a certain point? these are there for a reason, more chunks being loaded means more ram being used, more cpu power being used and it also takes longer to save, so the fact realms offer infinite world size shows how good their servers are (although only 10 players can be logged in at the same time, so I guess they aren't THAT good).
Let me rephrase what Wolfy said, since you obviously didn't get it: You may know how to host a server, but you know nothing about the details of it.

Now then, what would you guys prefer? have a lot of players logged in at once, but have a limited world, or, have a infinite world, but only 10 players can be logged in at once?

Last edited:
After a week of intense shitstorms, tears and drama (as I posted here), the rumor is real.

Mojang A.B., maker of Minecraft, is being bought by Microsoft (official statement)
https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/
http://redd.it/2ggf7s
http://redd.it/2ggel6

Looks like the most hyped game in this century was acquired by Microsoft for $2.5 Billion.

My opinion: the biggest fear is the possible copyright strikes that could come for all community of content creators like mod and plugging developers, map makers, youtubers and server admins who depend on finance support to keep them up. The second is MC for Linux and iOS would lag behind PC releases.

Last edited:
Minecraft was already overrated, now the most overrated thing in all of overrated-ness is buying it. What a coincidence.

After a week of intense shitstorms, tears and drama, the rumor is real.

Mojang A.B., maker of Minecraft, is being bought by Microsoft (official statement)
https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/
http://redd.it/2ggf7s

Looks like the most hyped game in this century was acquired by Microsoft for $2.5 Billion.

My opinion: the biggest fear is the possible copyright strikes that could come for all community of content creators like mod and plugging developers, map makers, youtubers and server admins who depend on finance support to keep them up. The second is MC for Linux and iOS would lag behind PC releases.

I am 99% certain that the modding scene will go untouched by Microsoft's lawyers. If the game gets a significant enough overhaul (a built from the ground up sequel, taking it off the Java), I could see it becoming harder to mod, but I don't think the people who make big-tit mods for Minecraft are going to be hit with C&D letters.

Youtube could be a more significant issue, but at this point, we should stop looking at how to get around youtube's back-asswards approach to copyright protection and just look to alternative video sites.

Last edited:
My laptop is absolute shit for gaming. It doesn't run Minecraft very well, even after hours of downloading mods and setting priorities and tinkering in general. Constant frame dips every time I place or break a block or switch items in hand. Yet the Windows 10 Edition Beta runs like a dream. Minimum settings, sure, but a constant stable 40-50 fps is more than I ever hoped for. Probably because that version runs off C++ instead of Java. Finally. My laptop's AMD A4 6210 that it runs on can be a bitch (atrocious specs by today's notebook standards) but I could honestly cry. One of my favorite games is finally accessible to me again. Sure the title and pause screen is different but that doesn't mean jack shit to me honestly. Same with mods.

So why bump the topic? This is a wake up call to all those who don't have the horsepower to run Minecraft and have Windows 10. Mojang offers a free Windows 10 Edition Beta copy (available on the Windows Store) with the PC version. Please go get it.

The only catch is signing up for a Microsoft account, and the forced, unchangable, and swapped sprint and crouch key bindings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back