The new consfail protection lag in v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diskette Projector

Floppy Disk Horse
I know a lot of people experienced about this new type of lag, and it came since v2.00.x, and weird how come there's no topic about it!

This lags makes the game jerky, totally unplayable, and this one is the most annoying one in the history of SRB2!

The way this lag goes, is the lag backwards frames, often skipping jumping, moving, key command actions!

I call it: New-gen lag
Some people call it: Jerky lag
Or is it possible, that this is the After lag what Wiki told about?

EDIT1: It is now revieled, it's called the 'consfail protection lag'

I don't know a way to fix it, but i hope an update will make it better :)

Discuss or help about this topic!

A lot of it is Netplay lag. I played some levels by myself and had NO LAG.

You could kick the laggers, play some levels with less objects. (GFZ) Or play by yourself.

Re: New-gen lag/Jerky lag/After lag discovered in v2.0

Kancsar said:
The way this lag goes, is the lag backwards frames, often skipping jumping, moving, key command actions!
In SRB2 2.0.x there's something called consistency protection. What this does is restore everyone to their positions on the consfailer's end instead of kicking them. You can disable this by opening the console and type "consfailprotect 0".

Re: New-gen lag/Jerky lag/After lag discovered in v2.0

Kitsune said:
You can disable this by opening the console and type "consfailprotect 0".

Inadvisable. Consistency failure protection keeps the game c-failing. The c-fails you guys are experiencing in 2.0.1 is a bug, and are remedied in 2.0.2.

Autosaver said:
^Or by going into options and setting it to 0.

I still don't get what Consfail protection is. O_o
It restores the state of the game when inconsistencies occur. Generally it's a better option than having no protection, which ends up with people being autokicked for failing to remain consistent with the host's copy of the game.

Keeping on topic, you can also see who's inconsistent with 'BLAMECFAIL 1'. Thus, if someone keeps on being inconsistent and lagging up the server, you'll know who it is. (Although, on my servers, when someone becomes constantly inconsistent, they ''Leave''.)

Yeah, in netgames the pullback lag is the CFP. I call it 'Pull Back Syndrome' Lag. :3

I see alots of people don't understand what i'm talking about (also suprise from Logan O_O)

For those, who don't understand:
I'm not talking about the frame lags the new maps make, i'm talking about the ones where it skips actions! (like the others said: resets the non-consfailed states)

For those, who DO understand it:
So it's this new 'consfail protection' causing this new type of lag, eh? And i think host's don't experience this lag, like the c-lag! I kinda afraid setting the protection to 0, cause it will make everyone go c-fail (i think), but setting it to 1-5 is ok for me! Also what does the 'BLAMECFAIL' console variable does excatly?

EDIT: also changed the title for the topic!

BLAMECFAIL: It displays a message on the server's console saying it's restoring a players synchronization.

If you're getting a pull-back, that means that your location doesn't match where the SERVER thinks you are. If I were you, I'd listen to the server because it has the power to kick you.

What really sucks is when someone joins and they have a crap connection and make everybody else cfail but themselves.

Kitsune said:
What really sucks is when someone joins and they have a crap connection and make everybody else cfail but themselves.

This is why I rarely play netgames. My connection is made of pure fail :D

SSNTails said:
If you're getting a pull-back, that means that your location doesn't match where the SERVER thinks you are. If I were you, I'd listen to the server because it has the power to kick you.

Lol. :D

The annoying thing is that even the host gets pullbacks so that the c-failer can get resynched. It's noticable though when you completely fail jumps and thoks don't go anywhere near as fast as they can. I wonder what else it can cause? That glitch where you're stuck in hurt/death frames? Is this a cause for it? Wow, I'm talking about every glitch in the book (except random CEZ2 sigsevs :P)

On the upside, the skipping lag means less consistency failure kicks. If the game is constantly lagging like that, loading a map usually fixes the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back