• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Roach's endless sprite parade

That's beautiful and slightly disturbing. Drowning was always my fear in both the game and in reality.

You are making the BEST classic styled-Sonic I have ever seen in my life! Genesis like Spindashing and drowning.... you are awesome.

gEnZuiB.png
This looks just like in genesis but scarrier and in srb2 style.

This doesn't has to do with Sonic, but I had just finished some more anims and wanted to work on something else real quick:

Uz3ufco.png

Haarrarrahhhaharharharhah hah

Maybe, just maybe I'll make the rest of the textures look consistent with this monstrosity I made once I find out what some textures are even supposed to be, such as that weird wall texture full of lines.

I think they're supposed to be rocks or something, toads that were turned to stone by Bowser in the first game... or at least that's what I've gathered from the first game's backstory.

If you're referring to the texture to the left of your screenshot, those lines are cracks in dirt.

This doesn't has to do with Sonic, but I had just finished some more anims and wanted to work on something else real quick:

Uz3ufco.png

Haarrarrahhhaharharharhah hah

Maybe, just maybe I'll make the rest of the textures look consistent with this monstrosity I made once I find out what some textures are even supposed to be, such as that weird wall texture full of lines.

Its not a weird wall texture full of lines!

Last edited:
Bricks are unlikely not so much because they don't make sense (SMB3 had floors made of wood)

Not really a good example, since SMB3 had the overarching theme of a staged theater. The giant block platforms with drop shadows, platforms suspended by wires, wooden floors, and woodlike background objects were all keeping in tandem with the theme.

The NES graphic was definitely intended to represent dirt or sand, the lines are just really thick cracks through the ground, like you would expect in some arid climates.

Still images don't do the dust effect justice imo. http://gfycat.com/NextMinorKakarikis

That said, I wasn't expecting Roach to bump the particle spawn rate up so high and it's actually kind of extraordinarily lag-prone. That can be dealt with, though. Probably changing it to fewer more opaque particles for a start.

I think the dust really needs to not necessarily be thicker but much more spread out and diffuse. This looks like an accelerated fart, not a dust trail. I did something similar a long time ago in a fangame I started but never went back to for some reason (and whose source I can't load to show you a gif because apparently my GM install just went corrupt)—it's only 2D, but the dust is spawned in a range of depths and also has much greater randomization of speed than yours does. Dust doesn't just fly into the air in a straight line—it diffuses in a fairly big puff which can be easily simulated by randomization of both direction and speed. Even look at official sprites:

130px-0,51,0,27-Sonic_spindash.gif
Sonic_spin_charge.gif

There isn't a line of dust here, it curls and dissipates in a turbulent fashion, like it's really striking air.

EDIT: Found a video of the engine preview on my misc/old YouTube channel.

I always figured that they just didn't draw grass because it'd only be like a pixel thick anyway, but fair enough.

So, will other remade vanilla characters like Chuckles and Iceman Tails be updated to have spindash and drowning animations? I'm also still curious about those awesome spring sprites.

Maybe it's a little pointless to continue talking about the ground texture, but All-Stars says that it's simply a rough dirt. I'm assuming they didn't do a grass side tile because of limitations (they had to reuse the bush tiles for clouds, so I'm certain they had really strict limits). I feel All-Stars may be more accurate as the person who drew the original was most likely working on All-Stars as it came out comparatively sooner compared to Brawl. I'm certain that we all agree though; it is some sort of rock or stone.

Just my two cents, though.

Not to seem impatient, but I'm curious if you have any updates or anything. Your works are always intriguing to look at.

Actually, yes! The other two characters will get a spindash animation for some good consistency and viewing pleasure! As for the drowning animations, it's not for sure yet, but I certainly wouldn't mind making those!

And the awesome spring sprites are courtesy of a really good friend of mine, VAdaPega. Seeing he put a lot of effort on those, I'd certainly love to see it being officially added!

cWW8q5S.png

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back