Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nox

♪♫♬
(SH Edit, 2011/10/11: Topic title formerly "Why is MINECRAFT so popular?". I think we've moved well past that topic at this point, so I'm making the title more catch-all. Original post is below, untouched.)

Personally I don't like minecraft. Its an opinion so don't bug me about it. One of my friends told me to try it so I did. ya know what happened? I almost died of boredom! (Okay, exaggeration) but I really don't get the big deal, but it seems like a lot of people like it. I think they don't so much like the game, but they like the concept of being able to create your own world in a huge RPG. I don't see the fun, maybe I'm missing something...post your opinion. have you never played it? or do you play it so much that you've forgotten what the sun looks like?

[SIZE=+2]POST INTERESTING SCREENSHOTS![/SIZE]

minecraft%20%28Tweaked%29%20copy.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you buy minecraft or did you just play the classic version. If you just played classic, then you should probably get the full version if you want to know why people like minecraft.

Last edited:
Well I played the classic version, but my friend has the full version...really all you do is stack block and build blocky pixilated houses. I guess people like it for the RPG experience.

It's popular because it's Minecraft and it's freaking awesome. Deal with it.

There will be more to do when the adventure update rolls out.

There are many "build-able" games like mine craft that also have many other features.

Well, there is a free open source game (It doesn't work on my computer (; shame) and you can create maps just like mine craft in game, there are bots you can play against and online multiplayer, tons of maps and you can play CTF, FFA and many more gametypes its really fun and you can even put slopes curves anything you can imagine into your levels (If you use custom textures). It has realistic textures and lighting but it doesn't even come close to the popularity of minecraft. As I said earlier, I think that people like the idea behind of minecraft more than the actual game.

What I'm trying to get at is why minecraft? why is it specificly so popular?

Beside the point if you like minecraft and you like srb2 you've probably thought: "Hmm......what would minecraft and SRB2 look like fused together???

Well I present to you SONIC ROBO CRAFT

srb2%20minecraft-1.png

(Ta-daaaa)

Last edited:
I love how the same post contains "I hate Minecraft" and "Look at this awesome thing in Minecraft!"

I love playing with my brothers. We don't focus so much on building as we do exploration and survival. We always play on the highest difficulty and explore at night. When it gets really bad we set up barriers, but try our best to continue killing stuff. We never use any admin commands except for teleport if absolutely necessary. It's that feeling of the need for survival that I think makes the game so much fun. Building is alright too, but I don't so much like building houses/castles/villages as I like scattering shelters around the entire map for different hideout points at night.

You HAVE to play Minecraft Beta. Minecraft Classic is just the create mode, where you just place blocks.

But Minecraft Beta is about survival. It's about building a house to live in, mining in caves, avoiding monsters, and just plain survival. It all starts off with just getting wood. Then you make a crafting table, with that you make tools, with those you mine more material, with those material you make more stuff, with those stuff you...

It just goes on forever, it almost feels like it could never end...

Then it all changes when you finally get the material to make a portal which sends you to the nether (basically a hell-like place in Minecraft), where there are even more enemies to encounter, and more materials to discover...

Multiplayer is also very fun. Most of the good servers have a list of commands you can type in to do certain stuff, like saving a location, or to get a starter tool kit, etc.

And with the building, the possibilities are nearly endless with what you can create.

This fan-made trailer explains the game very nicely (though it is a bit dated, since the game has been changed quite a bit since this video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5fS4RF3ht0

Last edited:
Nox, remember that if you don't want to risk 15 Eu for a game you might not like... I'm sure there are some places on the internet that if you search something like... I don't know, you might find what you are looking for... no really my friend hacked minecraft and got it working for free just fine, with multiplayer

EDIT: Just noticed you asked for intresting screenshots... I got Minecraft recently for my Birthday (I also thought it was just a bunch of ugly cubiness before), and its pretty awsome. I don't have many INTRESTING screenshots, as most of the awsome things me and my friends are building at my cousin's server aren't ready yet... So here's some stuff I did screenshot:
20110803150214.png

20110731161649.png

20110730180731.png

Last edited:
I've used to be really into minecraft, then I've realized that it's actually kind of boring. Build houses, dig into the ground and find materials so you can build more houses and get better tools so you can dig into the ground even better. It's just a lot of tedium.

I don't have to play the game to know that the game has lame graphics. :/

Why do I find this post ironic and ignorant at the same time?
ANYWAY. . . I think the one thing that interests me about Minecraft is basically being able to build anything you can with the environment along with surviving against whatever seems to be lurking in the world you resign in. Enemies like the Creepers, zombies, and the new enemy Enderman 0_o really just point out that not everything tame as you expect it to be. Maybe one day I'll probably get this and play with Blue Warrior or something. . .

Well I played the classic version, but my friend has the full version...really all you do is stack block and build blocky pixilated houses. I guess people like it for the RPG experience.
GEE, I WONDER WHY YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN.
(My, god.)

I'll be honest, the game looks fun. But it needs less pixelated stuff.
Except, you know. That's the whole point of the style and all.

I also like how people are judging the game now about how it has no sense of achievement or direction but haven't bothered to look at the things coming in the 1.8 update.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back