SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > Video Games

Old 11-05-2018   #1
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Default Deltarune

So, Toby Fox just released a spiritual successor to Undertale over the weekend, and it can be found here. Figured I wasn't the only one here who tried it, so I figured I'd open up a thread and see what everyone else thought. Of course, spoiler tags where appropriate.

My thoughts: It's a little short (I easily beat this in five hours), but it's a good weekend spent. Undertale's combat system had a lot of potential due to its SHMUP-esque dodge system, Mario-style action commands, and the novel context-specific ACT function, so I'm really glad that this was expanded on; the multiple party members and TP meter add a lot of much-needed depth to a system that clearly had lots of potential. The game is still pretty easy at its core, but part of that may have to do with the fact that I've already been warmed up to Undertale's style of gameplay.

Spoiler:
I've only yet done a pacifist run, and apparently there's a secret boss that I'm missing, so I'm curious to see what other playstyles the game has to offer. It doesn't look like perma-save gimmicks play as big of a role here as it did in Undertale (the game intro certainly seems to alude to that), but maybe I'm just not digging deep enough.

I understand the creator wants to add more chapters to the game; hopefully that comes sooner than later, but I know these things take a while to develop, so I probably shouldn't hold my breath.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018   #2
toaster
トースタちゃん

A delightfully charming game dripping with the power of fluffy boys and mean girls.

I think Toby said he has to form a team or else he doesn't think he could ever finish it, and it'd be the full game for sale or nothing at all, given that one chapter took him 3 years and his upper limit is 7. I hope it works out for him. He's a nice person who's enthralled many people and seems to be a bit nervous with the spotlight.
Old 11-05-2018   #3
Lach
hop

I've never played Undertale, but I picked up Deltarune when it dropped since it was free and I figured I may as well give it a try. I loved it! The visuals are a lot better than Undertale (from what I have seen of Undertale), the characters are sooooo creative and appealing (and they develop in extremely touching ways in the short lifespan of the game), the battle mechanics are really fun (I love that each of the characters have different roles in battle), and the music is godlike. I definitely recommend it even if you've never been exposed to Toby's world before.

Spoiler: Endings

Turns out the story is the same whether you do pacifist or genocide (true genocide is actually impossible; K.Round is the only boss where you NEED to ACT to defeat it, and it shows up twice mandatorily), but the endings are slightly different. I'd say it doesn't really matter which way you go but you'll likely want to play the game again anyway, so it's worth seeing both of them.
Spoiler: Secret Boss

Deltarune isn't much of a challenge, but the secret boss is. I strongly encourage trying it out though, as it really shows the potential of the new battle system more than the campaign enemies do. Took me numerous tries to beat it pacifist-style, and then on my second runthrough where I was a little more prepared I managed to defeat him genocide-style as well. It doesn't change anything except the reward you get from him (which basically doesn't matter considering the rest of the story bosses are cakewalk in comparison), but it was very rewarding to beat him both ways.
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Katmint

This was very disappointing. The good parts of Undertale feel more like a fluke now than something that had actual competence behind it.

I'm just posting here because I feel like ranting about this. My thoughts are in the spoiler.
Spoiler:
The game begins with a well-presented character creation sequence, which, while lacking in appearance options (excusable since it's a demo), immediately sets your expectations high. There are a lot of traits to choose from which seem like they'd influence the game in interesting ways. This is then all immediately discarded, as if to say "you thought i actually put that much work into it? nope."

The school setting feels terribly generic and introduces a bunch of really unmemorable characters all at once. Characters in Undertale generally left an impression on you with only a few lines. Take Sans and Papyrus at the end of the original demo, who pretty much sold themselves even with that brief appearance. Deltarune's characters feel instantly bland and never really get any more interesting.

The lore dump near the beginning sounds like it came from some free-to-play MMO with the CHOSEN ONES and the LIGHT and the DARK and BALANCE OF GOOD AND EVIL and a bunch of other bullshit that's too abstract for anyone to actually care about.

The combat may have improved some since Undertale, but it still feels boring and repetitive throughout all the generic encounters, especially with the lack of enemy variety. Why are there only like three generic enemies in the entire chapter? Even the small Undertale demo had more than that. Any additional depth the combat may have is essentially nullified by fact that nothing you do actually matters after the fight, so you never need to pick any actions besides the fastest way to get rid of something.

Ralsei is inverted Flowey and that's basically it. The plot twist at the end with him was incredibly obvious and didn't actually add anything of substance to his character. Susie is a generic school bully with a terribly predictable character arc. She feels like a cheap Undyne bootleg.

Lancer is easily the worst character in the game. His "humor" falls completely flat, and the game obnoxiously shoves him in your face every 5 steps. While the writing quality in this game has decreased in general, I feel like it shows most of all in the cringe-worthy attempts at humor that are constantly wasting your time. Lancer feels like a bad fanfiction version of Papyrus written by someone who doesn't understand what made Papyrus good.

The not-Mettaton "puzzle" guy is also a really bad attempt at humor, especially when he pulls the same lame joke not once, but twice, and then tops it all off with a really awkward Steamed Hams reference which is possibly the worst gag in the entire game. Meanwhile, the chapter boss is an "evil king" stock character that is actually named King. That's just pathetic.

Speaking of pathetic, the entire Chapter 1 scenario is just a bootleg Undertale devoid of character and charm. Allow me to list the similarities:
>fall down hole into hostile land
>meet a (pacifist/homicidal) prince
>enemy characters continually pester you
>bake sale
>the exact same castle approach scene but not as atmospheric
>power of friendship etc
>"we (darkners/monsters) were banished here by the (lightners/humans)"
>kid defeats the king and breaks the (fountain/barrier)
>prince from the beginning is revealed to be asriel
>there's definitely more stuff i forgot

After all of that nonsense, we wind up in a room where it's implied that the not-Undertale we just went through was fictional. Well, I felt like Kris's appearance change and the characters gaining weapons out of nowhere was a hint in that direction too.

We can talk to some characters re-used from Undertale now, but none of them really have anything particularly charming or interesting to say. Even Sans is pretty boring. And then it all ends with an incredibly edgy sequence that provides just little enough information to keep the fandom speculating for however long it takes for more content to exist.

Also, I made a crawla in the blueprint minigame. That was pretty good.

Last edited by Katmint; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:34 PM.
Katmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Spoiler:
Quote:
The game begins with a well-presented character creation sequence, which, while lacking in appearance options (excusable since it's a demo), immediately sets your expectations high. There are a lot of traits to choose from which seem like they'd influence the game in interesting ways. This is then all immediately discarded, as if to say "you thought i actually put that much work into it? nope."
TBH I feel like this pretty much explains your entire opinion on Deltarune.

I like how you mention "the lack of appearance options is excusable", when the select screen literally has five copies of the same boots for you to choose from. All of the other options are so similar to each other not to matter anyway; that's the point. Your choices in this game don't matter.

It warned you from the offset about this, but as you were playing, you still wanted your choices to matter.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Katmint

Spoiler:
By "excusable" I meant "appeared to be obvious placeholders", but that hardly explains my "entire opinion" when most of what I was complaining about was the drop in scenario quality.

But on that subject, I forgot to mention that "Your choices in this game don't matter" is an incredibly stupid gimmick. Giving the player false choices that don't actually do anything is a dime a dozen occurance in the RPG genre. It's not clever and pointing it out doesn't make any sort of meaningful statement whatsoever.
Katmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
BlueZero4

Charybdizs linked me to this thread from Discord. I care deeply about Undertale and Deltarune, so I spent a good chunk of time thinking about Deltarune after I first played it.

Here's an excerpt from a document that I wrote to myself about Deltarune:

Spoiler:
Deltarune doesn't work for me, and it breaks as a story in a fairly fundamental way.

Undertale had an emotional pressure on every single battle that came from the story setup. The order of the world is “Kill or be killed,” as Flowey says in the opening monologue. The rest of the world reinforces this, because the monsters all want to kill Frisk to steal his soul and take it to Asgore so that they can free the world. These stakes are the backdrop of every single boss fight in the game. The emotional burden on Frisk in the Pacifist run is to prove that he doesn't have to kill anyone and they can all have a happily-ever-after ending.

In Deltarune, not killing anyone is the order of the world. There's no story context as to why Kris would even try killing anyone. There are no stakes to answer through killing. Mercy is just a boring preservation of status quo.