EXE Mod features that could get into vanilla SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezer'Arch

ArchPack 2.5 is on the way
I have some questions tha bug me about EXE mods and the next official release. We have some EXE mods that have interesting features which could be very well included in next official release, specially level design ones.

For instance, XSR2 has some especial linedef executors (like, Launch Player and Damage Object) and console commands (like, NOTARGET) that could be considered. Other good example is SRB2Morphed and its non-trivial object editing features. There are 28 special actions in total; naming them all and explaining the benefits would be kinda time-consuming.

I would like to know if devs are planning on including some features from EXE Mods. I wouldn't ignore them specially considering that such features are fully working.

Who knows this might start a good discussion.

Last edited:
I think that's a good idea but I'm wondering where some of those features could be placed? I wouldn't mind seeing some of these features from the mods in upcoming zones/acts and maybe a few could be placed in pre-existing levels. But it all depends on the Dev team and the mods' authors.

Some dude made a lot of rendering fixes to the original Doom Legacy, and we've been able to poach a lot of those.

XSRB2's quicksand physics, anyone?

Seriously, those quicksand physics are better than Vanilla SRB2's current quicksand physics - I mean, they act just like the quicksand in S3&K.

I mean, they act just like the quicksand in S3&K.

I don't know if I can say vanilla SRB2's quicksand is worse or better. We can find two kinds of quicksand in S3&K's Sandopolis Zone: 1) normal quicksand: the player just sinks into in walking state. 2) climbable quicksand: the player can climb up by jumping and is forced into spining state. Vanilla SRB2 is just missing the 2nd.

Some dude made a lot of rendering fixes to the original Doom Legacy, and we've been able to poach a lot of those.

That'd be nice. These fixes are for software or OGL rendering? Just to make sure.

Cineblast's bot tech could lead to a Sonic Heroes playing way: The player and two bots following, and then we have a team. Obviously, the characters would be switchable. That would create an entirely new way of gameplay in SRB2 ;)

Uh, this isn't Sonic Heroes. It's Sonic Robo Blast 2 and it has to be like MD Sonic Games (Classic Sonic to be exact). So, I don't think the Dev Team will want to add some SH features. :X

Cineblast's bot tech could lead to a Sonic Heroes playing way: The player and two bots following, and then we have a team.

8VqPh.png

I think we don't need to go that far. JTE/Cineblast's bot system for SP is most enough, something like S3&K.

I completely agree with some features of srb2morphed being merged with vanilla srb2. The ability to do more with custom bosses and enemies would really help wad makers.

Since Inu is a developer, I am sure that he talks with the other devs on which features would be good for vanilla srb2.

That's really the term for anything unmodded. Kind of like Vanilla Ice Cream is just Ice Cream without anything special?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_software

Vanilla is like the default flavor or something, so an unmodified program is the default flavor of the program, and mods add a bunch of other flavors to play the program in. Though mods are usually just called chocolate flavor, I think. At least that's what I call it. >_<

Also, I support XSRB2's file save menu, pause menu, and quicksand physics as well as the SRB2Morphed actions being added. :P

Last edited:
Things Vanilla SRB2 needs from XSRB2?
-The fixed OpenGL. I know you all don't support OpenGL, but adding things like fixed shadows and fixed fog really bring a lot more depth into the game.
-Color changing while moving. I hate how SRB2 doesn't have a glow pattern for super palettes, I really don't know why. So I like to just pretend with .txt files. =P
-Super Sneakers after-trail. Again, the effect is really nice, doesn't slow down the game at all, and could be interestingly used for super forms.
-Badnik Bounce Count. It doesn't have to be enabled by default, but I just thought it still be interesting to see in the real SRB2.
-Better Server Options Menu. Self-explanatory, no?
-Quicksand Physics. Self-explanatory yet again.
-Improved Pause and Save File menu. Common sense.

Other?
-JTE's Bot system. But obviously with improved AI.

Last edited:
-Color changing while moving. I hate how SRB2 doesn't have a glow pattern for super palettes, I really don't know why. So I like to just pretend with .txt files. =P
Wasn't this in early SRB2 versions? I thought they removed it due to people using it and causing lag/c-failing.

Wasn't this in early SRB2 versions? I thought they removed it due to people using it and causing lag/c-failing.

Indeed it was, it prevented those annoying, sometimes laggy scripts that changed your colour every tic.

Indeed it was, it prevented those annoying, sometimes laggy scripts that changed your colour every tic.
I think the c-fail was because the game continuously changed your player color in realtime instead of just rotating the palette separately on each node. I dunno, it's hard to explain what I mean.

Why don't you guys put in a change color delay or something? Like, maybe you can only change color every 5 seconds or something.
What the hell? Why limit it even more? It's not doing anything wrong right now. Especially since no one wants to search for their favorite color and be halted every 5 seconds. And hardly anyone uses the console for those simple things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back