Sonic Boom: A new Sonic cartoon series, coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you need to play the WiiU version of the game at this point to know that it's going to flop

I don't think you need to play the WiiU version of the game at this point to know that it's going to flop

Why are you dismissing the game as a fail when you haven't even touched it once? It's kinda bugging me to be honest.

Personally, I think the Wii U version of Sonic Boom looks a lot like a Ratchet & Clank rip-off. However, I don't dislike it. After all, I haven't had a chance to try it or anything. But it's not a game I'd buy a Wii U for.

Why are you dismissing the game as a fail when you haven't even touched it once? It's kinda bugging me to be honest.

From what I'm hearing from people who actually have played demos, it feels a lot like a slower Sonic game, and will probably be considered one of those "It's okay as a game, but as a new universe for Sonic it's bad" type deals.

Last edited:
It could be argued that releasing the game at all is a stupid idea,

I know you're sort-of joking, but the game is probably 90% finished at this point, yet they still refuse to show us the current build.
Personally, I think the Wii U version of Sonic Boom looks a lot like a Ratchet & Clank rip-off. However, I don't dislike it. After all, I haven't had a chance to try it or anything. But it's not a game I'd buy a Wii U for.

Well I love R&C, as well as Jak and Daxter, and I don't know if you can exactly call it a ripoff of either when the team is made up of people who worked on those very games before, but IDK.

It's looking decent, that's about it. I bought a Wii U for Smash, 3D World (sad, I know) and Lost World, so I suppose it's one of those "people with a Wii U will buy it" games.

At least we know the 3DS version is going to be great.

From what I'm hearing from people who actually have played demos, it feels a lot like a slower Sonic game, and will probably be considered one of those "It's okay as a game, but as a new universe for Sonic it's bad" type deals.

I can respect that. There's still no reason to shit on everyone else's hype for the game just because one person dislikes the game.

I know you're sort-of joking, but the game is probably 90% finished at this point, yet they still refuse to show us the current build.

Well I love R&C, as well as Jak and Daxter, and I don't know if you can exactly call it a ripoff of either when the team is made up of people who worked on those very games before, but IDK.

It's looking decent, that's about it. I bought a Wii U for Smash, 3D World (sad, I know) and Lost World, so I suppose it's one of those "people with a Wii U will buy it" games.

Big Red Button's reluctance to show much footage of the Wii U version has been very damning, I think. They were carting along the same bad demo for how many months? Almost immediately after gameplay first surfaced, anticipation for the game died down in almost every camp, to the point where Big Red's community manager had to leave the Sonic Stadium Message Boards due to an overwhelming amount of "who-gives-a-fuck" on the site.

And yes, comparing the game to Ratchet and Clank or the Jak series really isn't fair, because those games had more interesting mechanics than have been displayed in Boom U so far. Boom U has more in common with that Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures game that came out a few months ago, or hell, ANY generic licensed character brawler. The game is almost indescribable from all the licensed cartoon Activision crap churned out for the past two generations.

When it comes to brawlers, there's really only two good ways to do it. Either go the classic route and do something like Double Dragon Neon, making it arcadey and super simplistic, or go the character action route and copy Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, and God of War. When Sonic Unleashed tried to do character action, we got a BARELY passable God of War gameplay style with a wide variety of combos that was hampered by bad framerate and shoddy platforming. From all the gameplay footage of Boom U I've seen, the combat isn't even up to Unleashed's level.

Again, I'll say that I haven't gotten my hands on the game yet, and perhaps there are interesting gameplay mechanics in the full version that haven't been shown yet. But I'm sure as hell not going to buy the game to find out. The combat looks bland, the energy tether feels out of place and seems to be overused, the co-op is an afterthought, and the chatter in levels is just as obnoxious as it was in Sonic Heroes. This will be the first console Sonic game that I do not immediately buy upon release.

Because I trust my own judgment based on the gameplay I've seen from the demo as well as the opinions of game critics I respect. Combat system doesn't look all that impressive, the main characters' snarkiness has already gotten on my nerves, and the stock orchestral background music leaves me with no motivation to pursue the OST when it comes out. Additionally, the developers tried to promote gameplay variety with the speed, platforming, and combat sections, but the transitions in gameplay look really disjointed from what I've gathered; from how all three of them play, it doesn't look like a cohesive gameplay experience to me, it just looks more like a licensed game designed to promote the show.

Well I love R&C, as well as Jak and Daxter, -
I love Ratchet & Clank, too. In fact, I've beat all PlayStation 2 and 3 games in the franchise*, except Secret Agent Clank (couldn't find it), All 4 One (same-ish), and Into the Nexus (I don't really have a PlayStation 3 any more).
PS2 - Ratchet & Clank 1
PS2 - Ratchet & Clank 2/Going Commando/Locked and Loaded
PS2 - Ratchet & Clank 3/Up Your Arsenal
PS2 - Ratchet Gladiator/Deadlocked(?)/Ratchet & Clank 4
PS2 - Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters/5

PS3 - Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
PS3 - Ratchet & Clank: Quest for ass Booty
PS3 - Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
PS3 - Ratchet & Clank: Q-Force/Full Frontal Assault
I'm getting a PlayStation 4 for LittleBigPlanet 3, and according to WikiPedia (which I used to check how many games there were, and their regional names), a "remake" of the first game will be made for PlayStation 4. I am so getting that. I don't know whether my favourite Ratchet & Clank game was the first or the second, so bleh.
I love Jak & Daxter, too, however I've only played Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Jak II, Jak 3, and Jak X (the driving game thing). But somehow I've only managed to beat Jak 3... well, until the collection of the first three games were re-released for PlayStation 3, after which I beat all of them. Jak X remains un-beaten for me. It's a shame that franchise is mostly dead now.
- and I don't know if you can exactly call it a ripoff of either when the team is made up of people who worked on those very games before, but IDK.
Wait, wat That explains it, I guess.

Maybe so, but from what I've seen, it looks really slow compared to it being a Sonic game. (Obviously the same goes for the Wii U version.) To me, it really feels like Sonic has just been plastered onto the games for marketing reasons. However, I am looking forward to people uploading episodes of the "cartoon" to YouTube.

This show will disappoint me just like Sonic X did.
Speedwagon said:
[Knuckles is a] brainless mass of muscles.
Even though I've only played a few games with Knuckles, such as S3&K and Chaotix, I don't think he is that.

This show will disappoint me just like Sonic X did.
Better do not to jump to conclusions. Just wait and then give the opinion. You can be surprised.

Even though I've only played a few games with Knuckles, such as S3&K and Chaotix, I don't think he is that.
The old and classic one, of course not.
The new and from a parallel universe, yes.

Please do not take the amount of steroids that Knuckles took.

The Show's trailer has fucking SOLD me. I love it so much, i actually played it twice! Now that it's coming to Cartoon Network on November 8th, I just CAN NOT WAIT for the show to become watchable. All of my criticisms about the show went in the other direction. I love the interaction with the characters, the cheeky lines the managed to come up with, and the animated cartoon-y movements and actions.

The game however, has me on the balance bar. I can't decide whether I should like this game or not. Fate, Money, and Time will answer that question for me eventually. But the game for me is undecided, People are saying its bad because...(Don't have enough evidence to prove this) But I see it as fine because its a 4-player game with abilities that work for the characters. The Wii U game looks awesome... At least its graphics. And the 3DS game is making me think of the Non-Rush formula again.

Well, we've got a Demo confirmed for the 3DS version on Nov. 4th, which means we'll most likely get a Wii U demo at some point as well. So rejoice, because now I can play it, like it, say "screw the haters" and have nobody able to stop me.

isweartogodifsomeoneactuallytakesthisseriously

I'm shocked. I'll have to play the games to see if I'll like them, but the trailer to the show legitimately got me to laugh several times. It looks like it's going to be very good for a kids show. Of course, I don't own a WII U, 3DS, or even have cable TV, so I won't be playing or watching on release. Still, I'll reserve judgement until I have a chance to play or watch.

I've thought for years that Sonic has needed a reboot. Maybe Sonic Boom isn't the direction I would have taken it, and there's certainly things we can make fun of about it, but in the end this direction is the direction SEGA needs to take Sonic for Sonic to become relevant again. Assuming they don't completely botch it up.

I've thought for years that Sonic has needed a reboot. Maybe Sonic Boom isn't the direction I would have taken it, and there's certainly things we can make fun of about it, but in the end this direction is the direction SEGA needs to take Sonic for Sonic to become relevant again. Assuming they don't completely botch it up.

Your paragraph is giving me a profound sense of de-ja-vu. I could imagine anyone (including SEGA executives themselves) saying the same thing word-for-word about Sonic '06, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, or Sonic Lost World. Amusingly, of those five, only Sonic Colors and arguably Lost World weren't completely botched.

Not trying to make a point or anything, just thought it'd mention it.

My god, am I hyped for this.

First the Show: It's freaking hilarious. I always LOVED the cartoonish style in animations like this. Also the plots are hilarious. But one of them made me burst into laughter... and also got a bit disturbed of what could happen during that episode because...
Sonic, Tails and Knuckles find Amy's Fan Fiction. Now THAT's going to be disturbing.

And now the games. Oh god someone will kill me for this.

I think the Wii U version is SO much better than the 3DS. There. I said it. SHOOT ME IN THE FACE
For starters, I always wanted a Sonic-Themed beat 'em up. And this game is where I think I'm putting my money on. Even though it's not what we expected I'm sure it will be a great game. And for Christ's sake people. It's FINALLY an innovative concept for the game-mechanic! Also, 4-Players.

And the 3DS is basically a copy-paste of Sonic Rush. And Adventures. And Colors for the DS. AND Generations for the 3DS. And basically every 3DS Sonic game there will ever be. It's getting reaaaally tiresome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back