Looking for a laptop with specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame

WR 102
So after having this Compaq laptop for what seems to be 7+ years. I'm considering on purchasing a new one. While I am pleased at my current Laptop's performance in being able to survive this long, I'm looking and requesting a new one with some specifications. I thought I'd ask this here since people seem to be pretty knowlegeable of Computer Systems.

What I'm looking for is basically a non-widescreen Laptop with a 15"-16" display monitor. As far as the memory and the RAM goes; A laptop with the memory compacity of more than 50 or 60 Gigabytes, and RAM being at least 1 Gigabyte in size.

This next request is quite odd..
Since I've purchased my computer 7+ years ago, I'm quite concerned at how these Laptop keyboards have changed. I have been looking at these keyboard schemes on different websites (Tiger Direct/NewEgg/etc) and I must say that I'm very displeased at them. I've taken the liberty of taking a quick screencap of my laptop's keyboard scheme; In this image, I'm looking for a keyboard scheme that might be similar to this. If none can be found, then I don't care about the keyboard scheme, so long as it's not like this.

Amongst what I said, that seems to be it.

You don't want a real numpad? Why, that's one of the features I've wanted in a laptop for the longest time!

Anyways, perhaps you could try System76 (if you're looking for Linux-powered). Their prices seem to be fairly cheap.

To be blunt or to get to the point, I don't want a number pad because of the way it's set up, amongst other things. To my eyes, it's unnatural; You could pretty much say I can't stand it, which isn't really a good argument here since it's only an opinion. I actually would have no problem with it if it was a desktop keyboard.
I guess my reasoning comes from the amount of space that's used up by it and how the space is used up. As well as regarding the mouse pad, you'll notice that laptop keyboards with number pads have the mouse pads off to the side. Again, another thing I can't stand.

Now these System76 machines you mentioned.. With careful consideration of these machines, a conclusion has been made, both with positive and negitave feedback;
I do say that I really like these System76 machines. Not for the sake of Ubuntu, but moreso of it's features I guess. You were also right about the low price too which is also a plus.
On the other hand, I'm somewhat strict about physical structure of these machines. The mousepad for instance on all of the Laptop machines, is slightly off to the side; Managable? It's a possibility. Widescreen is also an issue that I've had ever since I've dawned my eyes on the comparison between Widescreen and Non. Not sure why though. I gues it primarily has to do with me being so used to using a Non-Widescreen laptop for so long. Again, this isn't probably a valid argument, but I guess it works with getting my point across. Though, I feel as if I'm sounding unfair to some.

Anyway, there goes my rant.

tl;dr, In a nutshell: number pad issues, mouse pad issues, System76 rant, widescreen issues, words, words, words, etc.

Your old Compaq keyboard layout looks similar to Dell's keyboard layout. I prefer the Toshiba layout, personally.

Toshiba has also been making laptops longer than anybody else, and they don't make desktop machines.

The trick is to get a 'business' laptop, because then you can be guaranteed quality components were used. The consumer ones are just made of whatever parts were the cheapest that particular day.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 490XCDT that is from 1998 and it still works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back