Oerg866 and Kitoko's 2 vs 2 CTF Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitoko

Well, me and Oerg866 have had this thought for a long time. We were both considering getting it underway, and had a little talk about it. We decided I should post about it, and here I am to talk about it.

We were going to be hosting a CTF tournament, of which players sign up as teams of 2, who will compete against other teams in an elimination tournament. Both players must agree to be on a team in order to register.

We will be providing many ways to come in contact with me or Oerg866:
  1. The Message Boards. You can PM me or Oerg866 about it or even post in this topic.
  2. IRC. #OergInn a irc.esper.net is a place where both of us are at all times, and either one of us will be happy to help you.
  3. Oerg's server. Although this isn't the best choice, me or Oerg866 might be at the server itself to help you out and get you signed up
  4. There may be more when we come up with them.
Additionally, there will be special tournament maps, to provide a fresh and unhindered experience for all tournament players, and will all be released for tournament players all at the same time, and will have an announced release date. If you wish to apply to map for the tournament, you may; You are exempt from the tournament if you do so. There will be a total of three maps. The maps will NOT contain teleporters of any kind, due to node errors.

Here's how games work.

Each match-up will include two teams, which will have their own predetermined date. Games will play up to a 5 point flag limit, and will be played in a best-3-of-5 set. The first three games will be a rotation of all three maps. The fourth round, will have a chosen map, chosen by the currently losing team. The fifth and final map will be chosen by the other team. In the exception that there are 5 tournament maps made instead of 4 or less, a full rotation will be played of the tournament maps instead of the fourth and fifth rounds being by choice.

Should in the event, say, a player be absent, the game must wait for 10 minutes for the missing team member. If the missing player is absent, the lone player has a choice, to either forfeit the match, find a substitute, or play on their own. Should the missing player join later on, the substitute is to spectate and let the regular player hop in. The only exception to delay this switching is if the substitute has the other team's flag. Once the substitute no longer has the flag, the regular team member can come in again. Should the substitute deem unruly and abuse the exception, Oerg866 or Kitoko or an admin may force this swap.

In the case that both teams have absent players, the game will be delayed a day further, until players are capable of playing. This includes 1 vs 1 and 1 vs 0. Should both members of a team be absent for a game while the other team is present, the game will be forfeited to the team that was present for the game.

Spectators are permitted to join and watch the event, on special conditions:

1. They may not lag in any way whatsoever. Any lag from a spectator will be grounds to a kick, or a ban if it persists. These bans are not permanent though.
  2. A player may not disrupt the gameplay, E.g. spamming, swearing, name change spamming, or forcing themselves on a team with changeteam 1 or changeteam 2 (Yes, spam includes the pizza that won't get delivered.) Offenders may be subject to a ban.
  3. A player will not speed join the server in an effort to cause lag. This will result in an IP-ban.
  4. Being a general jerk will get a ban too.
We don't want to keep any spectators out, so please follow these spectator rules!

Anyway, with all that said, the only thing me and Oerg866 have been having trouble with was for a planned date for starting the games. However, the match-up times can be quite ductile (We're in no hurry.) Updates and plans for the next game, as well as the ladder will also be announced on the MB, so if you're signing up, you'll need to keep your eyes peeled on the MB for updates for when your team is going to have to play!

You may post sign-ups here in this very topic. To sign up, do the following:

1. First of all, you need someone you can trust for the game. Someone you like to play with or know how they play would be a good example.
  2. Anyone can sign up.
  3. You need to have a fairly good internet connection.
  4. When you've gone through that checklist, and you have a team member, you both need to agree on a team name.
  5. After that, you both come to me or Oerg866 saying you want to sign up as a certain team name, and also tell us who your team member is.
  6. After you're signed up, keep in check with this topic post for news and updated!
Things you can do as a user right now:

• Ask for info
  • Find a team
  • Request to be a mapper
Things you can do as a competitor right now:

• Un-sign
  • Ask for info
  • Change team name
The two lists above will be altered to keep up to date with the tournament, so you'll know what you're able to do!

We will allow sign-ups indefinitely, or up to a date which may be suggested by al of you!

I think i should signup. But need to look for someone first.

Well, that's something new! I was wondering when something like this will be annouced. I think I'll singup and I think I know who will be my partner, but I haven't played for AGES. Well, I wish you good luck with this, since it'll be quite a challange to take care of such a project.

Well, I wish you good luck with this, since it'll be quite a challange to take care of such a project.

It's a challenge I'm happy to take on, and I'm sure Oerg866 is up for it too. We're going to do a tournament, that's a guarantee.

I have to question the use of using maps specifically made for this tournament when the game already has a set of well balanced maps that bring about a wide range of different CTF matches. If you really want to give the players and spectators something new during the tournament, then there are also the underused multiplayer wads such as Retro Pack and Project: Hyper Duels

While I'm interested, and I'm curious to see how this will go. You haven't mentioned Chaos Emeralds, will they be turned on or off?

Oh how lovely a Tournament. My friend Lumen was telling me about this. I might look into it. But thing is I never work with a partner ever I always work alone. ._.

But if I do feel like joining ill check it out.

I have a question,

Will we always be forced to play on a completely new map for every tournament? I know I speak for most when I say that players may want to practice their strategies/skills on the specific tournament map but cant if they're forced to play on a map they never played on before. If you guys do force competitors to play on an entirely new map, can you at least send the map to the competitors a short time before the actual tournament begins? That way when the game starts players wont be running around trying to get familiar with the new map.

How about 3v3, makes more sense IMO.
3v3 is a full team to me, and could work much better, just putting out an opinion.

Great...a CTF tournament and I'm stuck with my crappy Wireless Hotspot. Why couldn't this have taken place a month ago when I was in Spring Break and still had functional internet that didn't lag me. :<

I'll enter if I can persuade certain people to reactivate the internet at home.

I'd be careful with using custom maps for a tournament, you need to make sure they are the proper size for a 2-on-2 and are of adequate quality. It would be pretty unfair to lose because of a poorly designed map.

Aside from that, I know that Oerg lives somewhere in Europe, and that usually results in C-lag for those of us in the States. I know your server has a pretty good connection, Kitoko (pretty sure your Foxboy, so I definitely know) and I have a suggestion. For each of the matches, the teams that are facing off can have a practice round on each of your servers to see which one would be better for all of them. That person would then host the match.

Some other small notes:

-Some players like to swap between characters mid match with binds, would this be allowed in the tournament?
-You should let the teams decide their own time slots and discuss your available times with them so you can grantee a match on the specified date.

Hi, I'm talking to someone about getting a Serv up in the US for the tournament. Cant promise anything tho.

I'm not sure but I can do it but I can't make any promises that I might not have time to do it.

My server can hold about the full 32 players limit depending how much people in america joins. If its a mix from other country's then my server limit drops to about 21 to 23 players.

Anyway maybe someone else might host this for you. Maybe someone on the east side of America.

I'm not sure but I can do it but I can't make any promises that I might not have time to do it.
If you talking about hosting the tournament (most likely you are) then you probably shouldn't be in the tournament because the host of the server usually is able to play at their best due to less lag. It would be best if someone who is not planning to be in the tournament to host.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back