Confirmed The Deathly Monitors II: The Ghostly, Jumpy, Occasionally Sticky Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmint

‫‬‭‮‪‫‬‭‮
Original thread for context.

The monitors aren't deadly this time, but they've got a whole new bag of tricks.

First issue: The same conditions that triggered the kill bug now causes the monitors to become intangible.
ElegantCanineEider.gif

Second issue: Standing inside a ghostly monitor and jumping causes its nearby friends to jump along with the player. This seems to always happen with certain monitors and never happen with others.
DecimalVapidCondor.gif

Third issue: Sometimes when the bug is triggered, the player will get stuck on the monitor and cannot move. Jumping will get you out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Known on release.

Fixing this, for some reason, results in breaking physics for every object that isn't pushable; it makes it impossible to move on top of any object.

A lot more testing needs to go on to properly fix this issue and everything tangentially related to it, but for now, this is the best of the three scenarios we had. Either we didn't fix it and monitors still caused instant death (bad!), or you can run straight through them in these circumstances (not too good either), or you get stuck on top of everything (almost as bad)...

Now, the second issue? Hell if I know.

This bug on Icicle Falls Zone also happened to me. I went through the ring monitors when I was playing the level.

Another odd thing regarding this bug - sometimes jumping again on the float-bob FOFs can de-intangibleize the monitors, thus undoing the bug somehow.

So guys, I've recently solved the mystery of the intangible monitors issue at the least:

...for whatever reason, floating-bobbing FOFs leave monitors just slightly higher than players after they finish the movement. This triggers a fix I made to solid objects in general to prevent other solid objects (e.g the player) warping on top of them and vice versa, which makes the monitors effectively intangible.

tl;dr: it's my fault ...and also the fault of SRB2 physics in general.

Still haven't figured out the other two issues yet meanwhile, I'll get back to you lot on those if I can do so.

Quad-posting, but three years later!

Anyway, it seems the first bug no longer occurs anymore in 2.1.20 apparently. (and I was just about to test a fix for it, welp) I just can't get monitors to become ghostly anymore!

As for the third bug ...you can spin in place to destroy the monitor in 2.1.20 at least, but I don't know if this was possible at the time the bug was reported. Otherwise, it's still there I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back