CRUSH - CTF Round-Robin Underlines Serious Hubris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitoko

So, I had the thought of starting a 2v2 CTF tournament.

This tournament is called CRUSH, where it's a hybrid of round-robin and elimination. I picked teams of two, because generally the SRB2 community is less time-sunk into the game and keeping the teams small would help matchups take less time to arrange.

When
This tournament will only be played on Weekends, and during the Round-robin session, you'll be given a series of match-ups that you need to play in order to play the tournament. Refusing to play matches results in the forfeit of any and all matches your team decides not to play. Meet up with a referee to see if you can arrange a match to be held.

I will give a few weeks for people to register for the tournament.

Matches
When a match wants to begin, any available host can offer to host the match for the two teams (except for the players themselves) and when a host is found, the teams join the server, and their pings looked over. Both teams can decide if they want to start the game with the current pings or not. If one team disagrees, a new host is found.

Before the match begins, both teams must pick two maps they want to ban from selection. Both teams then proceed to pick a map, each. These two maps will be played in any order. After that, a final round, played with a random map that is not banned, and not any of the played maps, is played. Once that is complete, the flag captures are totaled up. The team with the most total flag captures wins. A draw can happen, too.

Each round played is 15 minutes long, with no capture limit. This means that, at most, a match can last about 45 minutes. Be sure to set aside time to play your match.

You may not forfeit any round, however you may forfeit the entire match if you decide to. Though, be warned that forfeiting a match will give the other team 5 points in total.

Scoring and Tournament Play
During round-robin, winning an individual round will win you 1 point. Drawing an individual round rewards you 0.5 points. Winning the match earns you 2 points. Drawing the match earns you 1 point. After the round robin matches are over, the teams with the 4 largest point totals proceed into semi-finals and finals, in elimination rounds. These games are not scored, and consist of 5 rounds instead of three. a 3rd-place match will also be held. If there are tied teams for 4th place in score, the ties are broken by 3-round games.

Tournament Rules
If you're able to hold at least a stable and smooth game of 6 players (4 players, one referee, and one host player or extra referee) you may host. If you host, you cannot play in your own server during the tournament.

Do not use aimbots, or anything similar, to gain an advantage. A referee will help pull out a player in the case of foul play. If a player on a team is caught using cheating scripts or devices, the team will be pulled from the tournament, and any matches played by them will be nullified.

While matches can be planned without a strict schedule (Even on a weekday, if the team agrees) you are expected to follow your plan should you schedule to play a match with another team. You get one no-show grace, if you return and explain why you were gone. An exception to this rule is in case of emergency (medical reasons, political reasons, legal reasons) Though trying to use an emergency multiple times is at the discretion of the referee(s)

Please try your best to have a stable connection, and stay in the game. If a player's connection frequently lags behind, abruptly disconnects, or must leave immediatelty, the match is held on pause for up to 5 minutes for the problem to be sorted out. The two teams can agree to postpone the match if this happens, or wait a little longer. Otherwise, the player(s) are pulled from the game until they are able to return and play. A solo player can agree to continue playing if they wish.

A referee serves as a judge of the tournament. A referee cannot be a player; ask me if you wish to be a referee, and why, as you are expected to be ready at a wide range of time to help referee a match.

Modifications
If the two teams agree, the following whitelisted files can be added to the server:
  • charbalancev5.9.lua
  • TailsCD.wad
  • FSonic.wad
  • Shadow.wad
  • JasperMute.wad
If one team does not want a WAD or Lua added, it will not be added.

Discord
https://discord.gg/p9NC9CT

If you intend to play, please register or log-in to Discord and have a verified E-Mail address, then join this Discord server.

I'll be honest here... This doesn't sound fun at all.

2v2 CTF is horse shit. You typically have one guy guarding the flag while the other runs around and tries to get the enemy flag. If you aren't doing that then either the enemy team sucks a lot or you lose. It dulls fast and invalidates what little fun SRB2's PVP system has to offer. Furthermore, SRB2's netplay is nowhere near good. You shouldn't expect everyone to have good internet and for the game to not constantly sync in and out. Why would anyone want to play competitively in a game where you are constantly losing control due to control lag. Also, the whole idea behind a tournament for SRB2's PVP is stupid. SRB2's PVP system is an afterthought. Its horrible and for the longest time has been in need of a complete overhaul. Putting any kind of competitiveness into SRB2's match is like playing competitive Mario Party...except somehow even more unbalanced and stupid.

I'd also like to note that instead of having to go through the process of signing up for this, you could simply take the smart and efficient option and just join a normal CTF server.

The effort is nice...but this wasn't thought out that much if not at all. All you're doing is complicating CTF more then it needs to be. At best this just feels like a "server advertisement" thread in disguise.
Also to note on that hilariously stupid rule you put for modifications.
>charbalance
>jasper

Yeah.... no thank you.

2v2 CTF is pretty garbage, but the entire idea isn't (imo).

CTF and Match used to be really fun and competitive, so I don't really see a problem in trying to relight that competitive flame. I wouldn't mind joining this.

(though the PvP system is some cut can't like there *shrug*)

Mind telling me what do you dislike about charbalance?

Assuming we're talking about the same lua that simply alters the stats of sonic tails and knuckles... well I dislike everything about it. It's useless and doesn't solve the core issue with SRB2's PVP system. The problem isn't "sonic is too fast." The problem is the system itself is unbalanced. Currently the system has everyone sharing the same weapon pool that you gain through picking them up across the map. See this gimmick would be fine if this game was Call of Duty where everyone has the same stats and movement. However SRB2 has characters with unique abilities and speeds. Right now the game is pretty much like Team Fortress 2 except you can use any weapon on any class. Now... which do you think sounds more powerful? A scout with a spy knife or a heavy with a spy knife. If you chose scout then congratulations; you just described Srb2's match system. If you chose heavy then you're stupid. Lol.

So yeah. Charbalance doesn't solve anything.

Assuming we're talking about the same lua that simply alters the stats of sonic tails and knuckles... well I dislike everything about it. It's useless and doesn't solve the core issue with SRB2's PVP system. The problem isn't "sonic is too fast." The problem is the system itself is unbalanced. Currently the system has everyone sharing the same weapon pool that you gain through picking them up across the map. See this gimmick would be fine if this game was Call of Duty where everyone has the same stats and movement. However SRB2 has characters with unique abilities and speeds. Right now the game is pretty much like Team Fortress 2 except you can use any weapon on any class. Now... which do you think sounds more powerful? A scout with a spy knife or a heavy with a spy knife. If you chose scout then congratulations; you just described Srb2's match system. If you chose heavy then you're stupid. Lol.

So yeah. Charbalance doesn't solve anything.

I believe we're not talking about the same lua. This one changes the characters stats in the very slightest, but it gives Tails and Knuckles (the weaker ones) some special abilities for them to have more chance to counter Sonic without being as fast as him.

..I don't claim for it to fully solve anything though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back