Character Balance Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you people saying Knuckles should accelerate when gliding. Sometimes I wonder if we've been playing the same decade old game.

And the people suggesting buffing Knuckles and Tails ridiculous amounts to match a ridiculous person because you're scared of a Sonic nerf, lol.
"No one will be underpowered if everyone is overpowered!"

I think Tails and Sonic are good. I think nerfing Sonic would make it have nothing special at all. It's not even much faster than others without thok. The distance Sonic runs in 9 seconds is runned by Tails in 10 seconds. If Sonic's thok was nerfed, it wouldn't be good (or well playable) at any game type.

I think Tails and Sonic are good. I think nerfing Sonic would make it have nothing special at all. It's not even much faster than others without thok. The distance Sonic runs in 9 seconds is runned by Tails in 10 seconds. If Sonic's thok was nerfed, it wouldn't be good (or well playable) at any game type.
Well, you're somewhat right. Sonic could drop the Insta-Shield, and still be good. Tails and Knuckles could still use a slight buff, though.

If Sonic's thok was nerfed, it wouldn't be good (or well playable) at any game type.

No, Sonic would still be used in most situations with a minor nerf to thok, because that's how good the thok is.

Thok isn't just a "go fast" button, it allows you to change direction instantly, and instantly accelerate to max speed. That's incredibly important in a game mode that is all about dodging ringfire, and it's even important in singleplayer for both offensive and defensive purposes.

And it doesn't matter how bad you make Sonic in single player -- he will still be used because he is the only one that can transform after getting all seven emeralds. The notion that a minor nerf to thok would ruin him is ridiculous.

And the people suggesting buffing Knuckles and Tails ridiculous amounts to match a ridiculous person because you're scared of a Sonic nerf, lol.
Is that the best argument you can think of? That anyone who disagrees with you must be "scared" of a nerf?

While the Fuckingsonic gameplay is an interesting change, it boosts the skill floor required to use him effectively to a significant degree while not actually making him that much worse overall. I've said my view on it a lot, but to summarize, while he does punish minor mistakes more, he's actually even better at maneuvering than vanilla Sonic because of the boost to speed and jump height he can get. It might solve character balance in the short term, since everyone is used to the old Sonic gameplay, but in the long run all it's really gonna do is further increase the divide between experienced players and newer ones. And I know you're all about rewarding skill to a fault, but that's not a good thing.

And yes, you're exactly right. If everyone is "overpowered", then balance has been restored. If you can bring balance to the game by making the weaker characters better (and therefore, more fun to play), why wouldn't you do that? Doing things like making Tails more maneuverable in the air, or whatever other ideas, would be a much better solution, because I can say right now that I'd play Tails a lot more if he wasn't so slow in flight.

One thing I'll definitely agree on is acceleration being completely lopsided. Just switching Sonic's and Tails' acceleration values should hopefully solve that, though?

Is that the best argument you can think of? That anyone who disagrees with you must be "scared" of a nerf?

Why are you targeting his posts when I'm the one making all the blocks of text and backing up my shit with facts and reasoning? Let's be progressive with this debate.

it boosts the skill floor required to use him effectively to a significant degree

No, it doesn't. Do you really think our current thok that jolts players forward is easy for new players to get used to? Arguably a slower thok lowers the skill floor because it makes Sonic easier to control.

Yes, people who learn how to use the boost mechanics to their advantage are going to become better with the character. This raises the skill ceiling, not the skill floor. A skill floor would be if the player was required to learn the boost mechanic in order to use the character at base. Learning how to move and jump is a base requirement; learning how to thok and insta-shield is not.

Also, in case you haven't been paying attention, FuckingSonic.wad isn't trying to significantly nerf the character, it's trying to make him a more enjoyable experience. The argument we have against the current thok is that it's completely overcentralizing to Sonic's character, and the fact of the matter is that it is. 90% of Sonic's gameplay in match revolves around thok, and the 10% that doesn't is when Sonic is strafing around, waiting for the right time to use the thok. This is not representative of classic Sonic's gameplay, and we can do better than that.

Sonic is strong. Good. He should be fast always. Building up momentum so slowly is outright dumb, I think you'll find that running IRL is pretty much INSTANT acceleration.

The thok is the only thing that I find makes Sonic's gameplay FUN. The speed of it is instant, responsive, and it's very powerful for a lot of situations. It takes a lot of practice to use it as well. In race (or should I say circuit) the thokfests were everywhere, but you still had to have SOME precision in order to control him at all. It's powerful as hell, but not completely overpowered. It makes Sonic GOOD.

-

My MAIN argument however, is WHY make EVERYONE weak when you can have everyone be POWERFUL and fun to play? Running at your characters top speed and taking years to build up speed is NOT fun. Instantly accelerating and blazing through the zones in a way that feels almost beyond control and fast IS fun.

All the while, gliding at a slow ass speed or flying around at the speed of slow IS NOT FUN and outright restricts the player. As someoen above mentioned, MORE PEOPLE would play the other characters if they weren't so weak and broken in comparison to Sonic. And yes, it's SONIC Robo Blast 2, but character diversity is there. There should be encouragement to PLAY as Sonic, sure, and the thok itself is enough to do that. Super Sonic is purely a luxury and barely influences all that much other than "Oh, invincibility and higher jump. (and float I guess)"

tl;dr: Tails and Knux = Weak. Sonic = OP. Don't nerf Sonic. Buff Tails and Knuckles even more. Make the game actually fun for every character. kthxbai.

Also the game is aiming to emulate the classics, sure.

The classics weren't perfect, guys.
*proceeds to get stuck on a tiny, small slope*

Also, in case you haven't been paying attention, FuckingSonic.wad isn't trying to significantly nerf the character, it's trying to make him a more enjoyable experience. The argument we have against the current thok is that it's completely overcentralizing to Sonic's character, and the fact of the matter is that it is. 90% of Sonic's gameplay in match revolves around thok, and the 10% that doesn't is when Sonic is strafing around, waiting for the right time to use the thok. This is not representative of classic Sonic's gameplay, and we can do better than that.
The issue at the core here is that it's impossible to quantify fun, and some mechanics that you may not enjoy ARE enjoyed by other players in the community. FuckingSonic, at the core, is Sonic Advance 2. Exploits in that game aside, Sonic Advance 2 and FuckingSonic's mechanics are just as overcentralized on a mechanic, but that mechanic is the boost mode. Whether you think centralizing the character on a double jump ability or a boost mode is more fun is up to personal preference. Neither of these mechanics are anything like classic Sonic.

How is it playing like Sonic Advance 2 relevant to whether it's good or not again?

The issue at the core here is that it's impossible to quantify fun, and some mechanics that you may not enjoy ARE enjoyed by other players in the community. FuckingSonic, at the core, is Sonic Advance 2. Exploits in that game aside, Sonic Advance 2 and FuckingSonic's mechanics are just as overcentralized on a mechanic, but that mechanic is the boost mode. Whether you think centralizing the character on a double jump ability or a boost mode is more fun is up to personal preference. Neither of these mechanics are anything like classic Sonic.

Actually, the boost mechanic plays a lot like classic Sonic, if you ask me. No, it isn't overcentralizing. "Fun" isn't that subjective.

Look, when people jump into this game, they expect it to be about platforming, going fast, and getting better at platforming by learning how to go fast. (Usually. I'm generalizing a bit, but that's what classic Sonic is basically about)

We don't have slopes, and our game will never be designed around slopes. But we can still play like classic Sonic by emphasizing the platforming, the momentum based mechanics, and how they interact with each other. The boost mechanic is perfect because it does exactly that. It encourages the player to find ways to increase their momentum, stay going fast, and use it to get to hard-to-reach terrain. If you play the classic Sonic games, that is fun, and people will generally like it.

And I don't think anything we ever come up with will ever be as centralizing to a player as the thok is, definitely not boost because it's not even as easy an ability to reach. I mean FFS is that really going to be your concern when you're fighting a boss or in close quarters combat with another player? It's a tool to aid the player, just like thokking, just like insta-shielding, just like spindashing, and all of them would have a use to the Sonic player. Not just trying to be in boost mode at all times.

Sonic is strong. Good. He should be fast always. Building up momentum so slowly is outright dumb, I think you'll find that running IRL is pretty much INSTANT acceleration.

The thok is the only thing that I find makes Sonic's gameplay FUN. The speed of it is instant, responsive, and it's very powerful for a lot of situations. It takes a lot of practice to use it as well. In race (or should I say circuit) the thokfests were everywhere, but you still had to have SOME precision in order to control him at all. It's powerful as hell, but not completely overpowered. It makes Sonic GOOD.

-

My MAIN argument however, is WHY make EVERYONE weak when you can have everyone be POWERFUL and fun to play? Running at your characters top speed and taking years to build up speed is NOT fun. Instantly accelerating and blazing through the zones in a way that feels almost beyond control and fast IS fun.

All the while, gliding at a slow ass speed or flying around at the speed of slow IS NOT FUN and outright restricts the player. As someoen above mentioned, MORE PEOPLE would play the other characters if they weren't so weak and broken in comparison to Sonic. And yes, it's SONIC Robo Blast 2, but character diversity is there. There should be encouragement to PLAY as Sonic, sure, and the thok itself is enough to do that. Super Sonic is purely a luxury and barely influences all that much other than "Oh, invincibility and higher jump. (and float I guess)"

tl;dr: Tails and Knux = Weak. Sonic = OP. Don't nerf Sonic. Buff Tails and Knuckles even more. Make the game actually fun for every character. kthxbai.

9AOAJ.gif

If you've been paying attention to any of my posts, I only call for a nerf to thok that makes it so it isn't the optimal way of staying at max speed 100% of the time. You still get to move fast instantly and juke like you always do, you just have to be more creative if you want to be really really fast like Sonic is now. FuckingSonic.wad should be your dream come true, because you get thok and other tools to play with and increase the depth of the character. Once you get the hang of it, you probably won't even feel any power difference but will instead have more reasons to enjoy playing the character.

Something you would also know if you were paying attention to my posts, is that I mostly call for other characters being brought up to snuff to match Sonic and not the other way around. You know, like mechanical changes that allows Tails to use his flight more effectively in combat-oriented modes, and Knuckles having more reason to glide and do awesome things, whereas Sonic's changes mostly serve to just make him more well-rounded and interesting.

Instead, you're pretty much just illustrating how half of the people in this thread are exaggerating how badly a thok nerf would ruin everything and how the other half of people don't understand the changes that are being requested.

So far Mystic has presented the only compelling counter-argument to the FuckingSonic changes, and that isn't saying much.

Last edited:
If we're trying to do something similar to classic Sonic in which the player is rewarded for gaining and keeping momentum, perhaps we could implement a Hi-Jump-esque mechanic in which Sonic jumps higher if he's running at or above max running speed, complete with a distinct visual/sound effect so new players know what's happening and possibly accompanied by a thok nerf to 2/3 or 3/4 of its current power to ensure a focus on a vertical/platforming reward rather than a horizontal/pure-speed one. I'm by no means confident in this, though, so feel free to explain exactly why it's a terrible idea.

EDIT: I'm also not saying that those are the only changes that need to be made, since I'm not too sure about that either, and the reason I didn't simply say "I'm in favor of the FuckingSonic changes" is that having a separate 'boost mode' seems a little overcomplicated for a classic-Sonic-inspired game.

Last edited:
If we're trying to do something similar to classic Sonic in which the player is rewarded for gaining and keeping momentum, perhaps we could implement a Hi-Jump-esque mechanic in which Sonic jumps higher if he's running at or above max running speed, complete with a distinct visual/sound effect so new players know what's happening and possibly accompanied by a thok nerf to 2/3 or 3/4 of its current power to ensure a focus on a vertical/platforming reward rather than a horizontal/pure-speed one. I'm by no means confident in this, though, so feel free to explain exactly why it's a terrible idea.

This feature is in FuckingSonic.wad

God I want to just release his abilities in a separate wad since I coded the dash-mode mechanic, but I don't know how Roach would feel about it. We're referencing a thing most people here haven't played.

No, it doesn't. Do you really think our current thok that jolts players forward is easy for new players to get used to? Arguably a slower thok lowers the skill floor because it makes Sonic easier to control.
The thok is easy to understand. You press jump in mid-air and get sent forward at a fixed speed. While using it to its fullest potential involves more thought than that, it's not a difficult concept to understand.

Fuckingsonic is more difficult to understand. You can press jump in mid-air and get sent forward at a fixed speed, but then all of a sudden while you're running you trigger something and start going faster (which is noticeable) and jumping slightly higher (not noticeable at all unless you're intimately familiar with the game's mechanics) and even your thok (which you've been ignoring once you're moving since it's slower than running speed) is faster? How do you illustrate all of those different elements of boost mode to a player? It's a lot to take in, and it'll take a while for someone to figure out the mechanics at all, let alone how to use them effectively. (Hell, I had to basically have the increased jump height explained to me after using the WAD for a while.)

That's what I mean by saying Fuckingsonic has "a higher skill floor". It takes more for a player to understand how his mechanics work. And while I'm well aware there are facets of the other characters' abilities that aren't easy to notice (as evidenced by a few people not being aware that Knuckles speed up as he glides), those mechanics A) aren't perfect either, and B) aren't central aspects of their respective character. The boost mode is a large part of Fuckingsonic's gameplay depth, and having so many elements that aren't immediately apparent to the player yet affect the play so much isn't a good thing.

This feature is in FuckingSonic.wad

me said:
the reason I didn't simply say "I'm in favor of the FuckingSonic changes" is that having a separate 'boost mode' seems a little overcomplicated for a classic-Sonic-inspired game.

In other words, basically what RedEnchilada said about making Sonic's mechanics more difficult for new players to wrap their heads around.

The thok is easy to understand. You press jump in mid-air and get sent forward at a fixed speed. While using it to its fullest potential involves more thought than that, it's not a difficult concept to understand.

Fuckingsonic is more difficult to understand. You can press jump in mid-air and get sent forward at a fixed speed, but then all of a sudden while you're running you trigger something and start going faster (which is noticeable) and jumping slightly higher (not noticeable at all unless you're intimately familiar with the game's mechanics) and even your thok (which you've been ignoring once you're moving since it's slower than running speed) is faster? How do you illustrate all of those different elements of boost mode to a player? It's a lot to take in, and it'll take a while for someone to figure out the mechanics at all, let alone how to use them effectively. (Hell, I had to basically have the increased jump height explained to me after using the WAD for a while.)

That's what I mean by saying Fuckingsonic has "a higher skill floor". It takes more for a player to understand how his mechanics work. And while I'm well aware there are facets of the other characters' abilities that aren't easy to notice (as evidenced by a few people not being aware that Knuckles speed up as he glides), those mechanics A) aren't perfect either, and B) aren't central aspects of their respective character. The boost mode is a large part of Fuckingsonic's gameplay depth, and having so many elements that aren't immediately apparent to the player yet affect the play so much isn't a good thing.

That still isn't what a "skill floor" is, because understanding those inner workings of the boost mechanic is not necessary to play decently with FuckingSonic.

The boost thok and boost jump mechanics can very easily be made more intuitive with appropriate visual/sound effects to accompany them. You're making a big issue out of nothing.

As someoen above mentioned, MORE PEOPLE would play the other characters if they weren't so weak and broken in comparison to Sonic.
Oh look, you shot your point in the head

Boy you sure hit that one on the head, homeslice.

and even your thok (which you've been ignoring once you're moving since it's slower than running speed) is faster?

It's hard to grasp that it's an ability consistent in that using it will never bring you below your current speed?

So, basically a one time experimentation then.

In other words, basically what RedEnchilada said about making Sonic's mechanics more difficult for new players to wrap their heads around.

You're right, running to go faster is pretty complicated, I dunno how they managed it in that other game.

What I'm seeing, from the smaller portion of people I've seen actually play the wad and be against it replacing the vanilla gameplay, is some pretty rough exaggerations on the mechanics. There's nothing complex about running for 3 seconds to go fast, higher jump-height is like the only exception. Even that gets overridden once you play for a decent amount of time and learn about it.

Last edited:
Is it possible that we could get a beta version of FuckingSonic publicly released? My gut feeling is that I think I prefer the current version of Sonic over the changes being proposed, but I can't actually know that until I have a chance to play as him, so that I can give proper reasons and details.

I don't really like how most of the "opposition" has substantially less information than the "supporters". It just results in arguments going nowhere and people posting dumb GIFs like this

rather than there actually being a legitimate discussion.

You're right, running to go faster is pretty complicated, I dunno how they managed it in that other game.

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as 'running to go faster'. It's 'running at what you think is your max speed for a few seconds, after which you abruptly start going faster and a few of your other abilities get conditional power tweaks', which is considerably more complicated. With proper audio/visual indicators, it wouldn't be too hard to get used to, but its sheer complexity in comparison to Tails, Knuckles, and classic Sonic makes me skeptical that there's no easier way to achieve the same level of gameplay depth.

@Unknownlight I posted a lot of good god damn points (many of which that have not yet been countered), the least you can do is acknowledge them while pointing out that I posted an animation of a baffled Jontron.

I agree, let's release fuckingsonic.wad so I can start arguing against some complaints that have substance in them.

You're all barking up the wrong tree anyways, because we're not replacing SRB2 Sonic's mechanics with Sonic Advance 2 Sonic anyways. SRB2 Sonic is about the thok. If we really decided to redesign Sonic's mechanics for real in SRB2, I would be going complete redesign territory and emulate Sonic 3 Sonic, with an insta-shield double jump by default that changes based on his shield. We're not doing that.

While I'm not against adjusting Sonic somewhat if it becomes truly necessary, those adjustments are going to be strictly statistics, not radical redesigns.

If you want to see Tails and Knuckles get more play in multiplayer, I'm really open to suggestions on that matter. As an FYI, we are planning to add a projectile speed buff to Tails to mirror Knuckles's firing cooldown buff. Thus, suggestions like these are the most likely to produce actual results:

If we were to add match-specific character rules, what might be interesting is if we changed the rules a bit for getting hit:

* To counteract the fact that Tails receives the least reward for hitting opponents, perhaps Tails could also receive the least punishment for getting hit; I think this could be accomplished by making him only drop one of his special weapons rather than all of them (perhaps the one he had currently selected would be most logical).
* To give Knuckles more "power" in his attacks, perhaps his rings send enemies more upward than backward, extending their stun time. (Also, if this goes through, the ability to shoot while stunned needs to go.)
* To make Sonic "lighter" and more of a glass cannon, perhaps getting hit sends him farther away than the others.
Anyway, talking on IRC also gave me an idea that I completely shamelessly stole from Majro: what if Knuckles converted his falling speed into gliding speed when starting a glide? That way if he falls a bit and then starts gliding, he'll move faster than if he just glides immediately. It'd give him a mechanism with which to catch some speed, though not as much or as easily as Sonic gets (which is good cus he's more mobile overall), and time attacking with him would have more depth insofar as placing a focus on finding ledges to dive from for speed.
While I don't agree with these ideas specifically, the ideas are thought out and it fits into a space we can actually adjust without dramatically messing with the core mechanics of the game. More ideas like this are far more likely to produce results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back