Match contest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

Randomly found avatar
Ive already seen here mapping contests but ive never seen here match or race contests? Why?

Due to the nature of multiplayer gaming and such, it's incredibly difficult to organise such an event. It's been attempted in the past, but a lot of the time they fail because people don't turn up, or not enough people sign up in the first place.

Because the purpose of mapping contests is to produce maps everyone can enjoy and help mappers to become better and make even more enjoyable maps. A gameplay contest is nothing more than ego-inflation. Fine if you do it with friends, just for fun, but it makes little sense on a scale as large as the whole Message Board.

cue i know it must be pretty difficult to organise but its still posible

spiritcrusher i dont know what you think about me. i just think it would be fun.

spiritcrusher i dont know what you think about me. i just think it would be fun.
I think nothing about you. But really, many MS players don't even have a board membership. I doubt you'll reach the clientèle you want. You have much better chances trying to organize it via the MS.

cue i know it must be pretty difficult to organise but its still posible
Just because it's possible doesn't mean that it's a good idea. It's perfectly fine to compete against friends online, but nothing good can come of an "official" match or race competition. The OLDC challenges people to create and invent. Something like this would just inspire pointless bragging.

This isn't some sort of personal attack on you. He's just explaining why the idea isn't worth pursuing.

I have one stupid idea how to organise small contest but itd need 16 or 32 people and some helpers

Back when the SigSev Cafe was still active, we had a few netgame competitions that came out with some considerable success. We could try it here, but there's no guarantee it'll work as well; Cafe had a smaller community, it was basically assumed that most people participating were intelligible and would be able to make it. How it's organized and how long-term or large-scale it plans on being are all important aspects to hosting contests that will actually work out.

blue ive already wrote that i can organise only small contest (maybe i just translated bad what you wrote)

one question: if this is bad idea what about mapping contest?

i cant write anything else today because of my almost-dead mobile phone

Last edited:
Back when the SigSev Cafe was still active, we had a few netgame competitions that came out with some considerable success. We could try it here, but there's no guarantee it'll work as well; Cafe had a smaller community, it was basically assumed that most people participating were intelligible and would be able to make it. How it's organized and how long-term or large-scale it plans on being are all important aspects to hosting contests that will actually work out.
I remember the contests, they were a lot of fun. I remember a couple contests being canceled due to last minute drop outs. :<

It would be nice to have a contest. There would be a lot of challenging people to be against. Like all contests, they don't always work out in the end. :| I also have a feeling people that didn't sign up would just join out of no where.

The reality is that if you have 16 or 32 people interested in playing a netgame at the same time, why aren't you playing one or two epic 16 player games? It makes no sense to split it into a ton of 2 or 4 player games because we play those all the time.

Well, Mystic, in my experience hosting contests, we didn't host long-term tournaments but instead two-hour-long contests, in which case we had kind of a Mario Kart style "grand prix" setup. For instance, when we were playing circuit maps, at the end we would tally up the placements of each match to see who had the lowest average.

In essence, it is just a glorified netgame, but it's also more competitive, and at the time it was a good way for me to get some feedback when I was putting together the Best of OLDC.

Well that's not what I've seen people attempt before. Having a Mario Kart style grand prix in a long netgame sounds like a lot of fun and would work fine as long as you can find people willing to play for a while. I don't think that's what this guy is implying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back