Suggestions

Actually not really. If you don't have spindash, you can't get past Eggrock Zone 1 unless you have Sonic's speed, a specialized ability that shoots you up, Tails' flight, or Glide and Climb. There REALLY has to be an alternate route for characters who can't spin and don't have those abilities. :|
I beat it with the Tails Doll :<

This is a serious discussion, not a ten year old's clubhouse.
May I ask what you've been smoking? The discussion was about how characters that can't spin, thok, glide, climb or fly can't beat ERZ1. Tails Doll can't do any of that, yet Kaysakado managed to beat ERZ1 with it. That does sound like serious discussion to me.

I thought Tails Doll was some crazy fan made character that was randomly thrown around the internet, not A Sonic Robo Blast 2 character...

I thought Tails Doll was some crazy fan made character that was randomly thrown around the internet, not A Sonic Robo Blast 2 character...
Did you ever consider somebody could have, you know, made a character WAD out of it? Also, it might be thrown around the internet, but it's certainly not fan-made.

well, maybe add some obsticles that only people who float and slowfall can get past? I think those exist o-o

Having played Sonic Robo Blast 2 for the first time in quite a few years (I recall playing it around 2006 - in fact, I had an account over at one of the old forums), and I've come across a few... well, they're not bug, but they just bug me.

- Third-person Camera
I've found this to be the cause of about 80% of lost lives when I'm playing. And yes, I have diagrams.
My main concern is that because the camera is positioned so low to the character's eyeline, it becomes difficult to judge where you're going
64235216.jpg

When it comes to jumping over death pits/large gaps or even jumping on a badnik, I often end up jumping either too far forward or not far enough. This also causes a problem when I want to look up/down, as this proves useless if I want to, say, check if the edge of a platform is a deathpit, as the camera positions itself as follows:
79220185.jpg

I can think of two solutions to this:
1) Raise the camera to something like this when looking straight forward...
94302652.jpg

...and have the camera arc over and under when looking up and down respectively. (example below)
89847700.jpg

2) Have a shadow underneath every object so you can tell where everything is relative to the floor (this I don't have a diagram for). Thus, you are able to tell where you're going to land when jumping. This also helps when trying to attack badniks, since trying to jump on top of an enemy and landing in front of them only to lose all your rings (or worse, a life) isn't a good experience.

---

- Handling
I'll probably get a bit of stick for this, and I understand it's a Sonic game, but the characters handle really poorly.

Yes, Sonic's meant to be fast, but his acceleration's a little too high. He'll become too fast, too fast. Add the camera issue I noted above and this does make for some overly difficult gameplay. The perfect example of this is the falling logs segment in Deep Sea Zone.
Tails has a really sensitive turning circle compared with Sonic; I try and turn while running and I end up careering 150 degrees in the wrong direction.
Knuckles, I haven't played as, so I can't comment on him.

---
Other suggestions:

- More forced 2D sections
There are two places that, in my opinion, need this.
The first is the falling logs segment of Deep Sea Zone; because of the camera, it became unnecessarily difficult to cross the gaps. It must have took me at least 10 minutes to get past that one room the first time.
Second is the chain-spinning-things and chain-vine-things in Castle Eggman Zone. It often takes me a number of attempts to grab onto it, mostly because of the camera and/or lack of shadows.

- 3D slopes
I know this is a Doom modification (in which 3D slopes were impossible), but it is possible to have proper slopes, as opposed to 1 unit high stairs. Another Doom source port that I play is SkullTag, in which 3D slopes are possible. Whether or not it is possible to place these in the Doom Legacy engine is beyond my knowledge, but I'm sure one can port some source code here and there?

These should be all the problems I've encountered when playing SRB2.

Other than that, glad to know development's still going while I've been gone. :)

Moderator Notice:
Text related to deleted tangent removed.

- 3D slopes
I know this is a Doom modification (in which 3D slopes were impossible), but it is possible to have proper slopes, as opposed to 1 unit high stairs. Another Doom source port that I play is SkullTag, in which 3D slopes are possible. Whether or not it is possible to place these in the Doom Legacy engine is beyond my knowledge, but I'm sure one can port some source code here and there?
I'm pretty sure that has been gone over. And I'm pretty sure the answer is they can't.

Last edited by a moderator:
actually, as I recall, Slopes were implemented once, but they were buggy. I think the main problem with slopes were the rendering. I mean, I'm pretty sure the top of the slope was rendered fine, but the side was ugly. However, I think DashFox/Kalaron fixed this in SRB2CB, however they had no collision...

And I agree with the camera issues. They suck :|

I'd have to say my biggest suggestion is to replace the springs in Mario Koopa Blast with the springboards from Super Mario World. Complete with the good old BEERAAAH sound from Mario World to go with it. I also recomend someone do something about Knuckles' shading. Make the lightest shade of red on him darker. Because not only does it look a little wierd, when you change his pallette in multiplayer he looks bad. Maybe you can use the sprite for Knuckles from Sonic 3 & Knuckles' special stage as insperation for the shading technique if you don't change the color thing.

Moderator Notice:
Text related to deleted tangent removed.

I'm pretty sure that has been gone over. And I'm pretty sure the answer is they can't.

Actually, anything (within reason) is possible. With the source code and understanding of the DOOM engine and concepts in hand, you can do so much more. The barrier to slope entry is the view of the dev team that they're gonna be bad to SRB2 (but then the same can be said about anything).

The barrier to slope entry is the view of the dev team that they're gonna be bad to SRB2 (but then the same can be said about anything).
You're getting it wrong (as always?). It's not that anybody thinks slopes are bad, it's more that SRB2 has come this far without slopes, and if they were added now, all the stages would need to be redesigned to make use of them.

A Gametype called... hmm... Ring Collection? (I recall a mod having this before.)

How to play this gametype.
This can appear in CTF Maps, instead of getting the Flag, there will be these Ring Storage units which the Team need to store Rings inside it. The Team with the most Rings stored is the winner.

There could be a counter showing which team has the most Rings stored, which could replace the CTF Icon setup, and just have the display like this. (Max limit of the Rings that can be stored could be 99999 Rings.)

The Ring count for the teams that stored the Rings could be setup like this.
srb20005q.png

(This is just a idea of how it could be setup like, the Ring totals in the lower right corner.)

There could be a setting if you want the Rings in the storage to become lost if the Storage gets shot at. You can also set a protection time so after a couple seconds, the Ring Storage cannot be harmed until X Time is up.

You can also set to how many Rings that the Ring Storage can lose. Say the Protect time is 30 seconds, and the Ring Lost is 20, when the Ring Storage gets shot at, the team will lose 20 Rings from their stored Rings. You gotta wait 30 Seconds before you can blast the Ring Storage again.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back